Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sunday Morning Wrap Up Thoughts

vCash

Sunday Morning Wrap Up Thoughts

After taking some time to decompress and go back and watch some of the game early this morning here are some of my takeaways

1. Damn it was good to have football back. No matter what you thought about the performance it was good to see Mississippi State back playing meaningful football once again.

2. Our RB room is the best we have had in my lifetime. We have not had this type of talent in the RB room since at least Ballard and Perkins were in the same room and you probably can go back to when Dante and Dicenzo were running wild on teams. Marks is an absolute stud. Playing in the Leach system is going to help him in the long run because it makes him an every down back now, which is such a rare commodity these days. Pittman runs like a bull in a china shop every time he touches it. Lee is the same way and is not scared to stick his head in and throw a block at someone. Then you have Davis and Price as well.

3. The passing lanes are there for the deep ball, but Will has to let it go. If he cannot get it there, which I am not sure he can, then that is one thing. But he is not even attempting to make that throw. We had guys open all day for the deep ball and really only attempted a few.

4. Creed Whittemore is going to be a STUD. This kid has future star written all over him. The way he is able to operate in space and make something out of every catch is something you do not see out of many players, but especially out of Freshman. Having Zavion, Tulu, and Creed on the field at the same time is going to be borderline unfair.

5. Tulu needs to get the ball in open field. It was nice to see him get touches in different ways but he needs to get the ball more in open field instead of the backfield where teams can contain him and force him to a sideline.

6. Defense was night and day in the 2nd half. Impressed and happy to see them turn the intensity up a few notches after a vey uninspiring 1st half.

7. WE HAVE A KICKER!!!!

vCash
    Negatives have to be nentioned too.

1) OL is still very unsure of their assignments. The entire 1st half was just Marks out athleting the defenders to keep the drive going. OL has to get it together fast, but it's likely they do.

2) TEs looked bad. Goede missed a block, I didn't notice any good block by a TE, and Harmon was the only one I noticed catching a pass and he's a WR that's too small to block.

3) DL didn't get much pressure on pass plays, it was LBs on blitzes that brought pressure. Vs an FCS opponent every DL we have should dominate

4) we had a few dropbacks where Will had time. He didn't find anyone. Is that A) our WRbeing unable to get open, B) our routes being so bad nobody could get open, or C) Will being unable to see the field? After years of watching him work I lean C). Doesn't matter of you can throw accurately if you don't see the person to throw too.

Overall, I think the defense is fine but the offense will take time to gel and Will will give us a low ceiling. My bold prediction is that Wright takes over as QB during the LSU game and we dont look back.

vCash
    I was hoping we would let Wright throw it a few times.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Schultzy View Post
    Probably saving that for lsu. Let him run every play he's in there, and then try to catch lsu slipping

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Schultzy View Post
    Me too. He had a better comp % at vandy last year than Fitz had in 2017, and Wright had more yards per attempt than Rogers (ie he was throwing it deeper). And people here said he's gotten better since he got to campus.

Point is, the guy should be able to execute the Relf Coast.

Lets put it like this:

Guy A) hits short throws 68% of the time. Doesn't see the field well. Doesn't throw deep. Can't evade pressure or pick up yards with his feet. Generally protects the ball, but still makes bad decisions every now and then and turns it over.

Guy B) hit short throws 57% of the time, maybe has improved since then. Elite athlete on the ground and homerun threat. Nobody knows if he can throw it deep or evade pressure until he's given a chance. Nobody knows if he'll turn it over.

Anyone saying guy A) should be a clear lock for starter is insane to me. B) should clearly be given a chance to see what he can do as a QB. That's all I'm saying.

Maybe A) is the better QB but B) should get a quarter if Will struggles vs Arizona. Do we at least agree on that? At a certain point if ineptitude under will and big runs under Wright, we should see if Wright can run the full offense?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Probably saving that for lsu. Let him run every play he's in there, and then try to catch lsu slipping
    Maybe. But if the OL and Will play like that vs Zona well have to pull out all the stops with Wright to win

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    That's exactly what's going to happen.

vCash
    I was disappointed like everyone in our overall first half. But second half we came out fired up and did what I expected. I think playing SEL we came out way too relaxed and over-confident, I can say I felt that way before the game. I give credit to Arnett with his halftime response to the sideline reporter's question about our play the first half. I think he is intense and under control with how he handles it and the players respond.
    I think we will know more this week with playing Arizona, I expect Will to play much better as well as the team overall. Glad to see the freshman kicker pound the ball thru the uprights!
    I saw some positives the second half and I expect more against a much better team in Arizona.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by the_real_MSU_is_us View Post
    Negatives have to be nentioned too.

1) OL is still very unsure of their assignments. The entire 1st half was just Marks out athleting the defenders to keep the drive going. OL has to get it together fast, but it's likely they do.

2) TEs looked bad. Goede missed a block, I didn't notice any good block by a TE, and Harmon was the only one I noticed catching a pass and he's a WR that's too small to block.

3) DL didn't get much pressure on pass plays, it was LBs on blitzes that brought pressure. Vs an FCS opponent every DL we have should dominate

4) we had a few dropbacks where Will had time. He didn't find anyone. Is that A) our WRbeing unable to get open, B) our routes being so bad nobody could get open, or C) Will being unable to see the field? After years of watching him work I lean C). Doesn't matter of you can throw accurately if you don't see the person to throw too.

Overall, I think the defense is fine but the offense will take time to gel and Will will give us a low ceiling. My bold prediction is that Wright takes over as QB during the LSU game and we dont look back.
    That's very bold, but I think we need to see Wright complete a pass in a game first. I'm not going to say it can't happen but Mike has to do more than just a Nick Fitzgerald impersonation.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TrapGame View Post
    That's very bold, but I think we need to see Wright complete a pass in a game first. I'm not going to say it can't happen but Mike has to do more than just a Nick Fitzgerald impersonation.
    It is a bold prediction. But it's based on logic- if Will won't throw it past 20 yards or make impressive throws within 20 yards, then what is his arm bringing to the table that Wrights doesn't?

Hopefully will gets better and he starts making the beautiful touch passes we all know he can. But if he keeps playing like we just saw, Wright is the better QB.

vCash
    Me too. He had a better comp % at vandy last year than Fitz had in 2017, and Wright had more yards per attempt than Rogers (ie he was throwing it deeper). And people here said he's gotten better since he got to campus.

Point is, the guy should be able to execute the Relf Coast.

Lets put it like this:

Guy A) hits short throws 68% of the time. Doesn't see the field well. Doesn't throw deep. Can't evade pressure or pick up yards with his feet. Generally protects the ball, but still makes bad decisions every now and then and turns it over.

Guy B) hit short throws 57% of the time, maybe has improved since then. Elite athlete on the ground and homerun threat. Nobody knows if he can throw it deep or evade pressure until he's given a chance. Nobody knows if he'll turn it over.

Anyone saying guy A) should be a clear lock for starter is insane to me. B) should clearly be given a chance to see what he can do as a QB. That's all I'm saying.

Maybe A) is the better QB but B) should get a quarter if Will struggles vs Arizona. Do we at least agree on that? At a certain point if ineptitude under will and big runs under Wright, we should see if Wright can run the full offense?
    I would rather put it this way:

Guy A) is a 3 year 70% passer. And averaged 8 INTs to 35 TDs.
    Guy B) is a 55% passer and averages 5 INTS to 10 TDs.

vCash
    It is a bold prediction. But it's based on logic- if Will won't throw it past 20 yards or make impressive throws within 20 yards, then what is his arm bringing to the table that Wrights doesn't?

Hopefully will gets better and he starts making the beautiful touch passes we all know he can. But if he keeps playing like we just saw, Wright is the better QB.
    Do I need to count the down field passes in week 1?

vCash
    Your leaving off all the yards one gains with their feet and all the yards the other loses with their feet. I'll take B with he's the one that has the ability to bust long runs.

Also let's not forget the fact that the guy that has a 70% completion percentage won't throw the ball past 10 yards

vCash
    You guys forget every damn year and complain every damn year.... this was Game 1. Very vanilla. We beat the living shit out of our opponent like we should. We'll see significant improvement in Game 2 and even more in Game 3 when settled in. I saw nothing to really worry me after decompressing. A lot of teams looked meh yday. We didn't look meh but we didn't look great either. I'll take a meh 41pt win anyday.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mparkerfd20 View Post
    You guys forget every damn year and complain every damn year.... this was Game 1. Very vanilla. We beat the living shit out of our opponent like we should. We'll see significant improvement in Game 2 and even more in Game 3 when settled in. I saw nothing to really worry me after decompressing. A lot of teams looked meh yday. We didn't look meh but we didn't look great either. I'll take a meh 41pt win anyday.
    Not looking like the '85 Bears in game one really pisses people off.

Tulu out of the game the first half didn't do us any favors either. Watching the post game videos of the offensive players they're all pretty pissed off about the first half performance. So I expect the offense to really work to clean some stuff up and be more focused in the first half next week.

Archimedes
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackSailsDawg View Post

Guy a makes it 10 vs 11. Guy B makes it 11 v 11.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WinningIsRelentless View Post
    Guy a makes it 10 vs 11. Guy B makes it 11 v 11.
    It won't matter if every 2 TD passes is an INT. The team on the other side will sell out to stop the run.
    Last edited by BlackSailsDawg; 09-03-2023 at 09:59 AM.

Archimedes
    vCash

It won't matter if every 2 passes is an INT. The team on the other side will sell out to stop the run.
    Considering he thru 148 passes last year with only 4 picks keep working on that math.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mparkerfd20 View Post
    I generally agree with this, but to act like we should have no concern over the OL just because they were ?vanilla? is silly. We should be able to run 2 blocking schemes all game and look dominating vs any FCS team. I hope they prove me wrong and were just soft for game 1 and woke up

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TrapGame View Post
    Not looking like the '85 Bears in game one really pisses people off.

Tulu out of the game the first half didn't do us any favors either. Watching the post game videos of the offensive players they're all pretty pissed off about the first half performance. So I expect the offense to really work to clean some stuff up and be more focused in the first half next week.
    And there isn't much to clean up. For a team running a new offense we had exactly Zero penalties, none of those "struggle to get the play called" moments, and had Zero turnovers.