Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Colonoscopy PSA

vCash

Colonoscopy PSA

Six years ago I started having some very troubling symptoms and ended up at a gastroenterologist at the age of 43. I had my first colonoscopy where a large polyp was found that was extremely close to not being a polyp any more. I had a follow up the next year where a couple of small ones were found and today I had my third one where a couple of very small ones were found and removed. I say that to say this...

If you're having any symptoms that you know aren't right or are above 45 years old get this done. Colon cancer kills a lot of people every year, and most, if not all, of it could be avoided or treated early with full recovery with this 20 minute test. I was almost a statistic, but I was scared enough to have the test and glad I did. And truth be told the test is nothing to be scared of. You sleep through the entire thing. The worst part is the super colon blow prep you have to do. That poor motel toilet will never be the same. Not sure how I'll end up meeting my Maker. It may be driving into another tornado and it end up being one I can't drive out of, but I'm going to do everything in my power to make sure it isn't colon cancer. I hope everybody here does the same.

vCash
    Good advice. Had a family member never get one and then finally went to the ER in his 60s with stomach pain and blood. Stage 4 colon cancer. Sucked.

If you don't mind my asking, what type of symptoms to be on the lookout for?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by confucius say View Post
    Good advice. Had a family member never get one and then finally went to the ER in his 60s with stomach pain and blood. Stage 4 colon cancer. Sucked.

If you don't mind my asking, what type of symptoms to be on the lookout for?
    The one that tipped it off was I took a crap and it had blood in it. I had some stomach pain and other issues, but that ended up being IBS.

vCash
    You can now do the stool sample test . These can tell you if you are having any problems. Plus get the scope every 7 years after 40. Just had one a few months ago and was 1 small polyp and a few over 60 items and told me see you in 7 years. Hey celerey and Metamucil can be your best friends. If you are a Vet and in the VA system they give you every opp to get one.

vCash
    Also, please please have your prostate checked. At the very least, make sure your doctor tells you what your PSA level is (prostate specific antigen). I was diagnosed with prostate cancer at age 51. It was stage 3 and obviously had been growing for years. So I had prostate cancer in my mid forties. No symptoms whatsoever.
    Had my first colonoscopy before my last bout of radiation. Doc said he'd see me in 10 years. I said "bet"!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DownwardDawg View Post
    Also, please please have your prostate checked. At the very least, make sure your doctor tells you what your PSA level is (prostate specific antigen). I was diagnosed with prostate cancer at age 51. It was stage 3 and obviously had been growing for years. So I had prostate cancer in my mid forties. No symptoms whatsoever.
    Had my first colonoscopy before my last bout of radiation. Doc said he'd see me in 10 years. I said "bet"!!
    You should have a PSA every Physical/ I had a scare a few years ago and had it checked, No Biopsy thank heavens, Meds keep it in check now. And former smokers like myself should get chest cat scans once a year.

vCash
    It doesn?t matter how old you are, if you?re having any issues get checked out. I was diagnosed with stage three colorectal cancer at the age of 34 in 2021. After a couple surgeries, chemo and radiation I?m cancer free now, but if I would have waited any longer I don?t know how it would have turned out.

vCash
    I?m a prostate cancer survivor. I?m in my 60?s. Regularly had my PSA checked because my father had prostate cancer. For several years mine started rising 1 then 2. Stayed at 2 for aprox 10yrs then went for ck up and my PSA had gone up to 6. Was referred to a urologist. He took 12 biopsies of the prostate. Of the 12 biopsies taken 6 came back cancer. The Dr. then rated the individual biopsies on a scale of 1-10 with 1 being least cancerous and 10 being most cancerous. 5 of the biopsies were rated 5 with one being rated 6.

The doctor explained the treatment options. I asked him if I was his father what would he recommend and he said removal. So I had my prostate removed. It?s a pretty tuff procedure took me several weeks just really start feeling decent and several months to completely heal. The good news that 1.75 years later my PSA is 0.00. So like others say get your PSA number and pay attention to the numbers.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by starkvegasdawg View Post
    Six years ago I started having some very troubling symptoms and ended up at a gastroenterologist at the age of 43. I had my first colonoscopy where a large polyp was found that was extremely close to not being a polyp any more. I had a follow up the next year where a couple of small ones were found and today I had my third one where a couple of very small ones were found and removed. I say that to say this...

If you're having any symptoms that you know aren't right or are above 45 years old get this done. Colon cancer kills a lot of people every year, and most, if not all, of it could be avoided or treated early with full recovery with this 20 minute test. I was almost a statistic, but I was scared enough to have the test and glad I did. And truth be told the test is nothing to be scared of. You sleep through the entire thing. The worst part is the super colon blow prep you have to do. That poor motel toilet will never be the same. Not sure how I'll end up meeting my Maker. It may be driving into another tornado and it end up being one I can't drive out of, but I'm going to do everything in my power to make sure it isn't colon cancer. I hope everybody here does the same.
    Did you get a tennis ball?

vCash
    I went to the Doctor for a check up after being sick about 5-6 years ago. He was asking me basic questions, was i having any other issues... I told him I was waking up having to pee 2-3 times a night. So he insisted I dropped my drawers and check my prostate. Dude was swoll with fat fingers, it wasn't pleasant, at all. Is there anyway to check a prostate other than finger rammage?

vCash
    My wife was 46 when she was diagnosed with stage 4 colorectal that had metastasized to her liver. She had NO family history of cancer of any kind. She was in incredible shape after having 3 daughters. Fought to the end, and finally her body gave up in January of ?21. We went to MDA and Emory in ATL. It?s nothing that should be ignored, and colorectal cancer is becoming more and more prevalent at early ages. Take it seriously, bc it?s unforgiving!
    Last edited by Thick; 08-02-2023 at 11:59 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Thick View Post
    My wife was 46 when she was diagnosed with stage 4 colorectal that had metastasized to her liver. She has family history of cancer of any kind. She was in incredible shape after having 3 daughters. Fought to the end, and finally her body gave up in January of ?21. We went to MDA and Emory in ATL. It?s nothing that should be ignored, and colorectal cancer is becoming more and more prevalent at early ages. Take it seriously, bc it?s unforgiving!
    I lost my dad at age 48 to colon cancer as well. And it was a fight there at the end. Way too young. My kids ask about him all the time and oh how I wish they could have known him on earth.

vCash
    If nothing else, you can order some of those home stool sample test. I have taken a couple of them over the years and they're cheap. Heck, you can order just about any home test on amazon fairly cheap.
    "The QB and the receiver weren't on the same page there, but hey its only week eleven". (Jack Cristil)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog View Post
    If nothing else, you can order some of those home stool sample test. I have taken a couple of them over the years and they're cheap. Heck, you can order just about any home test on amazon fairly cheap.
    Yep they can detect small amounts of blood in your stools and get you to the doc. Life savers.

vCash
    My dad had colon cancer at 42 and reoccurrences over the past 35 years....but he's still with us so thank you God. I've been getting colonoscopies for the last 25 years (every 5 years) and small polyps are always found. There's another layer to colon cancer. There's a gene, called the Lynch gene, that if a person carries it, they are MUCH more likely to get cancer....and if the gene is passed down, the children are MUCH more likely to get cancer. My dad had the gene, so my brother and I both got tested. We were negative, so again, thank you God. My father's father died from colon cancer in his 40's, my dad's brother and 2 sisters all have had colon cancer (the Lynch gene affect).

If your family has had a strong case of colon cancer, you probably want to get tested for having the Lynch gene. Insurance will cover more frequent colonoscopies if you have the gene.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranchdawg View Post
    I?m a prostate cancer survivor. I?m in my 60?s. Regularly had my PSA checked because my father had prostate cancer. For several years mine started rising 1 then 2. Stayed at 2 for aprox 10yrs then went for ck up and my PSA had gone up to 6. Was referred to a urologist. He took 12 biopsies of the prostate. Of the 12 biopsies taken 6 came back cancer. The Dr. then rated the individual biopsies on a scale of 1-10 with 1 being least cancerous and 10 being most cancerous. 5 of the biopsies were rated 5 with one being rated 6.

The doctor explained the treatment options. I asked him if I was his father what would he recommend and he said removal. So I had my prostate removed. It?s a pretty tuff procedure took me several weeks just really start feeling decent and several months to completely heal. The good news that 1.75 years later my PSA is 0.00. So like others say get your PSA number and pay attention to the numbers.
    I dumb luck stumbled into my diagnosis. I wanted to get testosterone injections so I decided to see a urologist. Doctors in Hattiesburg MS will just blindly prescribe the injections without caring about PSA. Ask me how I know.
    I went to urologist my PSA was over 8. Biopsy confirmed cancer. Stage 3 and very close to being Stage 4. Today I'm cancer free but still have blood tests every 6 months.

Y'all get everything checked!! Stuff is trying to kill you!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Thick View Post
    My wife was 46 when she was diagnosed with stage 4 colorectal that had metastasized to her liver. She has family history of cancer of any kind. She was in incredible shape after having 3 daughters. Fought to the end, and finally her body gave up in January of ?21. We went to MDA and Emory in ATL. It?s nothing that should be ignored, and colorectal cancer is becoming more and more prevalent at early ages. Take it seriously, bc it?s unforgiving!
    Wow. So sad man. Way too young.

vCash
    An aside here, our diets suck. I think that's part of the uptick. Processed foods and processed sugars galore.

vCash
    Between this and the other board, y'all convinced me, I got an appointment for early October in Flowood.

vCash
    Dang, I just turned the big 40 in June. What is the age for both prostate and colon checks? I don't have any symptoms for anything. I feel perfectly healthy accept at risk HBP level.