Quote Originally Posted by Maroonthirteen View Post
This is true. People maybe had bolt action hunting rifles, shotguns or a revolver. We have way more automatic pistols and rifles on the streets than we did back decades ago. Also people are much quicker to use their weapons and blame the police. The odds of police being shot at traffic stops and domestic calls are far far greater today.

Just walk into any gun store now a days. I go to a popular gun store in Desoto County occasionally. The long guns and carbine (of all calibers)inventory they had in there.... it made me feel like buying a pistol was pointless.
There are very, very, very few automatic weapons of any kind on the street. I'm 60 and semi-autos have been around and popular long before my time. The military sidearm in WW2 was a semi-automatic 1911 chambered in .45 APC, still one of the most powerful handgun rounds to this today. The most common rifle used in the Pacific theater was the M1 carbine with a 30-round mag. It's not the weapons that have changed as much as it is the good guys and bad guys.