Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Another top ten for TSUN

vCash
    I've never thought "you better believe what I believe or you will go to HELL for eternity!" was a very good sales pitch for converting people to Christianity. So you're telling non-Christians that all of their relatives who've already died are currently being tortured (or some kind of unpleasantness, depending on the exact group) that will last forever and ever? I've always preferred the Catholic approach of only a very small number of truly unrepentant and evil people go to Hell, while most everyone else goes to Purgatory first (whether they're Catholic or not, or even Christian or not) to atone for their sins and be cleansed of them before eventually going to Heaven to be a lot more palatable.

Of course whether something is palatable to me personally doesn't have any real bearing on whether it's true or not, but since there's never any strong evidence for any religious belief, people are going to believe what they're comfortable believing.

vCash
    You must be confusing some people with someone else.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by the_real_MSU_is_us View Post
    I actually appreciate the efforts here to sway me, because I know it comes from a genuine desire to have me not suffer. I used to be Christian so I understand the mindset and appreciate the care shown.

However, I will not worship an immoral God. And to me, saying "you should take child sex slaves and kill all the male children" is pretty immoral. Allowing children to die of cancer when you could stop it is pretty immoral, and no a 5 year old with lymphoma is not "free will" at play. Even if you blame it on the fall, that child didn't do anything to deserve it.

I also can't make myself follow something that I don't actually believe is true. And with 3000 religions out there, I'm not going to reject 2999 of them to follow 1, especially when it contains so much contradictory behavior inconsistent with an omnipotent and benevolent being.

I shouldn't have spoken in the first place, and I should have responded after that. Good day to all of you
    I agree there are many things that seem difficult to understand. Yep is it fair that we are born sinful even though we didn't commit the sin in the Garden? Maybe, idk but we can't change that. Man was thrown out of the Garden after that so Paradise was lost until God spent years giving us a way back thru Jesus. Those difficult things are how we can see how bad sin is (any sin). The free will part is the kicker. God doesn't control us like a robot. We can choose and man chooses sin much of the time.

To the immoral thing. How do we know what is immoral if we don't know what is moral? If there is moral law then there must be a moral law giver - and that is God.

There is a big difference in all the other religions and Christianity. First all others say you have to do something. Christianity is nothing. Jesus paid the price. Christianity is done by God. Second, there is no other credible source of human/world history than the Bible. All historical items check true. The Bible written over 4000 years by over 40 authors inspired by God and all tell the same story and message. Amazing. No other religion can say that. All others were created by man. Why? Because man was created to worship something - God. Others have rejected God so they choose something else to worship.

Good discussion and I welcome the dialog. No harm in having peaceful discussions. Good day sir.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Quaoarsking View Post
    I've never thought "you better believe what I believe or you will go to HELL for eternity!" was a very good sales pitch for converting people to Christianity. So you're telling non-Christians that all of their relatives who've already died are currently being tortured (or some kind of unpleasantness, depending on the exact group) that will last forever and ever? I've always preferred the Catholic approach of only a very small number of truly unrepentant and evil people go to Hell, while most everyone else goes to Purgatory first (whether they're Catholic or not, or even Christian or not) to atone for their sins and be cleansed of them before eventually going to Heaven to be a lot more palatable.

Of course whether something is palatable to me personally doesn't have any real bearing on whether it's true or not, but since there's never any strong evidence for any religious belief, people are going to believe what they're comfortable believing.
    First I am not forcing my belief on anyone. I am just stating what the Bible (God) says. If it is offensive, be mad at God not me. We are not God and we don't know all how God thinks. The OT examples must be put in context. The context is there were many hard things that God allowed even commanded to direct His chosen people towards the Messiah (Jesus) to bring about Salvation to all. Yes some things are hard to accept but again He is God and we are not.

Great statement on something true or not is irrelevant on what I believe. Something is true because it is true not because I believe it. I'll say it again, eternity is too long to be wrong on this one. Think it through.