Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: SEC gets 8 Regional Hosts

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    It?s pretty simple and I don?t see why people don?t get it.

He won a Natty
    2022- we had arms blow up and eliminated any chance of a good season. So to me- 2022 didn?t even count.
    2023- really poor pitching and some injuries again. Fired pitching coach. Proper response
    2024- better make the NCAA Tourney or his ass is fired

This isn?t hard
    You and Todd agreed with most of us a few weeks ago. In fact, I argued with both of you that you were being too hard on Lemonis (I wanted to fire him too, but didn't agree with the stupid cutesy nicknames or refuse to give him credit for the '21 title). So spare us with the "This isn't hard" garbage when you very visibly changed your mind about this subject.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by the_real_MSU_is_us View Post
    Lol where are you getting these "odds" from, Todd? Your ass?

We have missed Hoover 2 straight years. Yet here you are saying "odds are we will be a 2 seed and win a regional baring bad luck"??! WTF? We can't be among the top 12 SEC teams but sure, in the regular season well be among the top 32 teams and in the postseason well wina regional and make the final 16. Give me a break... or at least pass me what you're smokin
    The odds are coming from recent trends. If you're a good SEC team and you make the postseason odds are good that you will host. And if you don't host and make a regional odds are you will be a two seed if you're in the SEC.

Over half the league is hosting this year. A top 10 finish in the SEC likely means we're a 2 seed.

Look at the bracket.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pancho View Post
    Selmon will have a decision looming by mid april of 24
    We have already made our bed

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    We may have to revisit this post next year. Ole Miss is losing a LOT this offseason. I think they're in worse shape than us at the moment honestly.

Bianco and Lemonis is a completely different situation. Bianco is their best coach ever. That's going to give him as much leeway as Lemonis if not more. He's going to retire from there- likely in a couple of years or so. Them firing Bianco would be like us firing Ron Polk. I kind of hope they do fire him- the backlash from the baseball community would be awesome.

That was one of the dumbest moves I've ever seen in my life. Cost us like a six year win streak in the Governor's Cup also.

It really is. It's confusing to me as well. Add in the buyout, optics, and recruiting classes coming in- it really does make sense. I can understand being mad too. But the answer to the solution isn't to always fire the coach immediately. And that's what some people don't seem to get. Lemonis is highly dependent on the performance of his assistants and if they suck we're going to suck. And if he doesn't perform and we have to fire him at least we can say that we gave him every opportunity to fix the situation and that will go a long way with candidates in the future. Baseball coaches are a lot more analytical as a group and a lot of them are Ok being Scott Berry and being seen as a good coach with some conference titles and no National Championships if it's a good fit for them and their family is happy.
    So now its ok bc we are one spot Better than a last place OM team. I thought we said the standard hasnt dropped?

vCash
    It?s pretty simple and I don?t see why people don?t get it.

He won a Natty
    2022- we had arms blow up and eliminated any chance of a good season. So to me- 2022 didn?t even count.
    2023- really poor pitching and some injuries again. Fired pitching coach. Proper response
    2024- better make the NCAA Tourney or his ass is fired

This isn?t hard
    But Leaches 2020 counted? 2022 was year 4 of Lemonis and this was 5. The longer he has been here with his guys the worse we have been.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckyIsAB**** View Post
    But Leaches 2020 counted? 2022 was year 4 of Lemonis and this was 5. The longer he has been here with his guys the worse we have been.
    He's also ignoring our offense was #10 and the defense #14. He and Todd want to pin all blame on the pitching. Like yeah that's our biggest problem, but our issues in other areas still mean our ceiling is capped.

vCash
    Losing Sims hurt a lot in 2022, but what did it really cost us? Maybe we win 5 more SEC games and get to 14-16? That may not even be enough to get us in, as our SOS was much worse and brought down our RPI.

I've seen people say that without the Sims injury, we host, which seems kinda crazy. Remember that in 2014 we went 18-12 and that wasn't enough to host with our RPI, and the SOS was worse in 2022, so we probably needed 20-10 or so to host. Would having Sims really win us 11 more SEC games? Seems doubtful. Granted, it would have affected every game, not just Friday nights, but still, pitching would have been a weakness and I doubt he would have gone 10-0.

It's also interesting how this talking point was never really raised at all in 2022. Sure, we missed Sims, but I don't recall anyone ever claiming that we would've hosted without Sims's injury last year. I don't think anyone really made that argument until pretty late into 2023 when people started rewriting history into a Lemonis apologetic. Personally, I don't think it's a guarantee that we make a Regional at all if Sims doesn't get hurt, but I do think we probably barely get one.
    Last edited by Quaoarsking; 05-30-2023 at 08:11 PM.

vCash
    Leach had a solid last season. Beat Mississippi, won 8...just couldnt hang on at LSU or get something going vs Kentucky. Had a team that was ready to win a bowl game for a 9th win. Beating a rival for his last game is fantastic.
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Quaoarsking View Post
    Losing Sims hurt a lot in 2022, but what did it really cost us? Maybe we win 5 more SEC games and get to 14-16? That may not even be enough to get us in, as our SOS was much worse and brought down our RPI.

I've seen people say that without the Sims injury, we host, which seems kinda crazy. Remember that in 2014 we went 18-12 and that wasn't enough to host with our RPI, and the SOS was worse in 2022, so we probably needed 20-10 or so to host. Would having Sims really win us 11 more SEC games? Seems doubtful. Granted, it would have affected every game, not just Friday nights, but still, pitching would have been a weakness and I doubt he would have gone 10-0.

It's also interesting how this talking point was never really raised at all in 2022. Sure, we missed Sims, but I don't recall anyone ever claiming that we would've hosted without Sims's injury last year. I don't think anyone really made that argument until pretty late into 2023 when people started rewriting history into a Lemonis apologetic. Personally, I don't think it's a guarantee that we make a Regional at all if Sims doesn't get hurt, but I do think we probably barely get one.
    We didnt just lose Sims- we lost Simmons and then Auger. Then Stinnett. We counted on Sims and Simmons to throw major innings in 2022
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    So now its ok bc we are one spot Better than a last place OM team. I thought we said the standard hasnt dropped?
    Where did I say that?

I'm much more worried about us at the moment. Reality is we're going to have to rely on the portal less than they are and whether Lemonis last year is next year or not we're in much better shape no matter how you cut it.

vCash
    You and Todd agreed with most of us a few weeks ago. In fact, I argued with both of you that you were being too hard on Lemonis (I wanted to fire him too, but didn't agree with the stupid cutesy nicknames or refuse to give him credit for the '21 title). So spare us with the "This isn't hard" garbage when you very visibly changed your mind about this subject.
    Most of the season I said let the season play out. The only time I thought Lemonis was in any real trouble was after the Arkansas series- which I believe was about the same time Coach34 said he was in trouble. That talk cooled down before LSU. I also said that if we lost out again he would be gone and should have been. There was a possibility that could have happened- but it didn't. We went 3-3 in our last six SEC games with a decimated pitching staff and no pitching coach and it was clear he did not lose the team.

There was only so much he could fix in real time this year because we don't have a minor league in college baseball and we can't trade for players like a MLB team can. Going forward he has to fix it because the opportunity to fix it is there. Starting with the pitching coach hire and then adding what we can through the portal. Adding players that can perform and adding a coach that can maximize our pitchers is the only way out of this.

vCash
    Coach34, you and Todd-Against-State betrayed us all when you did not fire Buckets on May 21, how could yall ***

vCash
    We didnt just lose Sims- we lost Simmons and then Auger. Then Stinnett. We counted on Sims and Simmons to throw major innings in 2022
    You can't just harp on injuries when all teams have them. What about the horrible development and recruiting. Got nothing from huge recruits like Fristoe, Tepper, or Walker. Not just a little bad, these dudes were dog meat and left. Then you have totally useless players like Walling recruited and making the team. Then zero development or role developed for KC Hunt or Stinnett. Then the mysterius Lefty Tullar, who left-handed SEC hitters hit 400 against. Butch's busts recruits would be starters today, even in his worst days the pre-Batman Girodo was never bad as Walling or KC Hunt. Vance Tatum and Girodo had sub 6 ERAs in their worst seasons.
    Last edited by The Federalist Engineer; 05-30-2023 at 10:38 PM.

vCash
    Leach had a solid last season. Beat Mississippi, won 8...just couldnt hang on at LSU or get something going vs Kentucky. Had a team that was ready to win a bowl game for a 9th win. Beating a rival for his last game is fantastic.
    I understand all that. But the point is to defend Lemon while bashing Leach is pretty contradictory. It?s not even close. The football program culture is 1000000000 times better than baseball.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Where did I say that?

I'm much more worried about us at the moment. Reality is we're going to have to rely on the portal less than they are and whether Lemonis last year is next year or not we're in much better shape no matter how you cut it.
    I thought you tagged me and specifically said we are better than OM. Like that is an achievement at this point