Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 1st pitching transfer commits to State

vCash
    6'5" 230 lefty. There is some potential there if we have someone who can work with him.
    Everyone wants to be a beast...until its time to do what beasts do.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Leroy Jenkins View Post
    6'5" 230 lefty. There is some potential there if we have someone who can work with him.
    He's smaller than Graham Enema, just throwing a stat out there. But that does not mean that this dude will also be dead roster spot with +10 SEC ERA. Key difference is that he's a senior and 23 years old. Peaking into stats for this profile of player, they do alright. Kentucky had a little school stud last year and Duke has many Ivy transfers that became good in the ACC.

More a variable than his previous school, this dude could have overcome arm health issues and kept on chasing the dream. He did get recruited and offered by Clemson as a teenager. The 2nd highest rated recruit in South Carolina and all the players around him in the top-8 recruits were drafted. So it was not a low talent field in South Carolina.
    Last edited by The Federalist Engineer; 05-28-2023 at 03:48 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by the_real_MSU_is_us View Post
    Couple points:

1) C34, you can hype Lemonis and this next season all you want but nobody is buying because our head coach is in over his head.

2) this guy has a ok ERA but at several levels of competition down. Almost every pitcher on our staff would have a sub 3 ERA at a D2 level. He may be a stud but I'll have to see it.

3) who is doing these pitching evals? We have no PC so it must be Lemonis. I do not trust his eye for pitching for obvious reasons.

4) Every SEC team will add portal transfers. We need a LOT, and they need to be studs. Lot of ground to make up; just seeing portal transfers in and of itself doesn't mean we're going to make up ground on the competition as they're adding guys too.

Let's hope this guy is a stud. Hailstate
    I wouldn't say that our head coach who managed teams that went to multiple CWS and a natty is necessarily "in over his head." Now does he have some massive work to do? Yes. Is he capable of building a team like the ones he managed? We shall see. His recruiting tells me that we would get some really good players to get us back to that standard

vCash
    If he was recruited/offered by Clemson, how did he end up at D2? Did he just stop performing well or was it off-the-field issues? And why did he fall so far to the D2 level, as opposed to something like the ASun or Socon?

vCash
    I'm fine with him if he's not taking up much NIL or scholarship money.

He's a solid walk on type player that's worth taking a chance on. He's not gonna come in and be a weekend starter.

vCash
    Pitch to contact........I'm going to guess a lof of hard contact too.......
    "The QB and the receiver weren't on the same page there, but hey its only week eleven". (Jack Cristil)

vCash
    Meh

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripp McNeely View Post
    Committed to Clemson out of HS. Was actually the #2 LHP in the state that year according to PG. Gotta love the potential!
    The kid is from my neck of the woods up here in SC, but I don't keep up with HS baseball up here. He may have been highly rated coming out of HS, but where he played is about the equivalent of class 2a in MS, so the level of HS competition should have been considered in context.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    Don't be so hasty in your judgement on this kid. I've seen him pitch and there's a reason he was ranked so highly coming out of high school. The guy throws strikes and has good command. His change up is plus and his fastball while not 100+mph has good life and he sinks it well. I doubt he's gonna be Eric Dubose but he won't walk people and I can see him have a valuable middle relief role. Think Brock Tapper as a comp.
    Young Harris traditionally has a decent program too. I'd look at this more like a kid who went juco than D2. Heck, there a number of D2 schools in GA that if their best player wanted to transfer I'd take them - Valdosta & Georgia College have strong programs. Kennesaw was damn good back when they were in D2.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeshouldveflanked View Post
    If he can throw strikes he is better than 75% of the current roster. We need a couple of guys that can burn through some innings in middle relief
    Maybe. Sec hitters can hit strikes though... gotta have good movement

vCash
    Seems like we would have the new PC before taking on projects.

I am sure this guy is excited, but the staff needs to read the room a little. Lemonis just had to talk his way out of getting fired. The next news out of the program needed to be something encouraging for the fanbase.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldogcountry1 View Post
    Seems like we would have the new PC before taking on projects.

I am sure this guy is excited, but the staff needs to read the room a little. Lemonis just had to talk his way out of getting fired. The next news out of the program needed to be something encouraging for the fanbase.
    I am sure that is why the baseball haters who post in here have been trying to get the rest of us to focus on anything else like Disc Golf and Javelin throwers.

vCash
    Level of competition has been ridiculously weak.

SEC hitters will likely carve this guy up

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldogcountry1 View Post
    Lemonis just had to talk his way out of getting fired.
    Nahhhh he didnt. We werent making a HC change at any point this season.
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    And, Roy Oswalt pitched at a 1 or 2 A school in the Sipp. #YouNeverKnow

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Leroy Jenkins View Post
    Eric Cerentola approves of this post!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 99jc View Post
    Eric Cerentola approves of this post!
    Cerentola was Canadian and couldnt throw strikes. This guy pitches. Is he talented enough I dont know- but he didnt walk many and that shows he has command-something Cerentola never had

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TALL DAWG View Post
    And, Roy Oswalt pitched at a 1 or 2 A school in the Sipp. #YouNeverKnow
    Yep. You cannot put a lot of stock in the school size. Hunter Renfroe, Eric Dubose, Roy Oswalt, and on and on. If God gifts you with a thunderbolt for a right/left arm it matters not where you go to high school.

vCash
    Nate Lamb's Coach at Young Harris is Stephen Waggener (aka Coach Waggs). Waggs was raised in the Jackson area and comes from a Mississippi State family. He runs a great program at Young Harris and spent many years as an assistant at Delta State prior to taking the head job at Young Harris.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CovertDawg View Post
    Nate Lamb's Coach at Young Harris is Stephen Waggener (aka Coach Waggs). Waggs was raised in the Jackson area and comes from a Mississippi State family. He runs a great program at Young Harris and spent many years as an assistant at Delta State prior to taking the head job at Young Harris.
    So he is sending his best pitcher to us. Gotta love that