Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: UGA looking for a baseball coach

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLostDawg View Post
    If this is true, Selmon will lose a lot of fan support early on. I really hope he was smart enough to over pay to get a pitching coach to see what we can do.
    I just think Lemonis should have seen through Fox last year. The fact that he didn't and waited so late to firehim is why I've lost faith in Lemonis. I hope it gets fixed and we roll again but I have my doubts. We may be digging a deeper hole with nil and free transfer rule we may be okay next year but yall all talk how you recruit years ahead in baseball. We'll see but next year may be the one year we have to unload much of our nil money to save the baseball program.
    Exactly how I feel.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjoelner34 View Post
    Exactly how I feel.
    My god! You don’t fire a coach after having one bad year full of injuries after he won assistant of the year in college baseball and broke all kinds of records in 2021! How do you people not understand that! You All Keep saying Lemonis should have seen through him and fired him in 2022. Y’all are crazy! You just don’t do that. Good luck hiring any kind of decent coach at all after you pull that shit!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TNDawg35 View Post
    My god! You don’t fire a coach after having one bad year full of injuries after he won assistant of the year in college baseball and broke all kinds of records in 2021! How do you people not understand that! You All Keep saying Lemonis should have seen through him and fired him in 2022. Y’all are crazy! You just don’t do that. Good luck hiring any kind of decent coach at all after you pull that shit!
    Not that I disagree with your point about bringing back Foxhall for 2023, but the argument "if you fire coach X, you'll never hire someone any good to replace him because no one would ever take the job!" is pretty much always false in any situation. There will always be another coach out there who wants the chance to prove he can do it, especially at a program of our stature.

vCash

Smile

MacDonnell is unhappy - Bama's Byrne is going to show John Cohen how a real AD does business..

" I always expect to be here. But I?m not going to shy away from (recent concerns about facilities). I?ve been very vocal. Right? The past few years [?]

I just I want to be at a place that?s committed when it?s all said and done. Because the kids were recruited to be at a place that?s committed. And, ultimately we?re trying to get to Omaha and win a national championship. And ain?t gonna happen unless we make a full commitment."

https://www.outkick.com/dan-mcdonnel...eaction-angry/

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TNDawg35 View Post
    We fired a head coach 1 year removed from a national coach of the year and SEC coach of the year awards. I guess Sly deserved another year too.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Federalist Engineer View Post
    MacDonnell is unhappy - Bama's Byrne is going to show John Cohen how a real AD does business..

" I always expect to be here. But I?m not going to shy away from (recent concerns about facilities). I?ve been very vocal. Right? The past few years [?]

I just I want to be at a place that?s committed when it?s all said and done. Because the kids were recruited to be at a place that?s committed. And, ultimately we?re trying to get to Omaha and win a national championship. And ain?t gonna happen unless we make a full commitment."

https://www.outkick.com/dan-mcdonnel...eaction-angry/
    Alabama, Georgia, and Missouri hiring good coaches while we're stuck with one more year of losing, and then hiring someone worse than any of those 3 in a year is going to sting for a long time.

vCash
    Nah. We are just positioning our baseball program to the level of our historical average for our football and basketball programs. Around 10th in the SEC

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjoelner34 View Post
    We fired a head coach 1 year removed from a national coach of the year and SEC coach of the year awards. I guess Sly deserved another year too.
    Winning the Liberty Bowl = winning a National Championship now?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Quaoarsking View Post
    Not that I disagree with your point about bringing back Foxhall for 2023, but the argument "if you fire coach X, you'll never hire someone any good to replace him because no one would ever take the job!" is pretty much always false in any situation. There will always be another coach out there who wants the chance to prove he can do it, especially at a program of our stature.
    I didn't agree with bringing Foxhall back but I definitely understood it. It pretty much turned out the way I thought it would too.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    I didn't agree with bringing Foxhall back but I definitely understood it. It pretty much turned out the way I thought it would too.
    I really hope that a year from now I'm not saying "It pretty much turned out the way I thought it would" about Lemonis's return, but I think we all know I probably will be.

vCash
    I really hope that a year from now I'm not saying "It pretty much turned out the way I thought it would" about Lemonis's return, but I think we all know I probably will be.
    We'll see. It doesn't really matter to me whether I am right or not. What matters the most is that we handled our program the right way and gave ourselves the best chance to hire someone that we all deserve if that isn't Chris Lemonis.

I think we have a lot more talent on the team than a lot of our fans realize. Our fans in general have a hard time with believing that players can improve a lot over the course of one offseason and I think we were so poorly coached on the pitching side that they had no chance to show their talent or what they could do.

There are metrics that support my thoughts on this- our stuff rate as a pitching staff was in the top 10. We just need to harness it. I like the core group of players that we have. Lot of work to do in the portal and getting the new pitching coach finalized. I really like Loo, Loftin, and Holcombe's talent and potential. Dohm is a good pitcher. I think him getting hurt against Auburn affected him some the rest of the season. I like Cam Shuelke a JUCO relief pitcher that can come in day one and have a role on the team. Tapper, Siary, and Gibbs have talent. They can help. We'll see who we add in the portal.

We're strong up the middle with Highfill, Mershon, Cupp, and Dakota Jordan. Hines is a 20 home run guy and makes a great tandem with Jordan. Need some other pieces for sure in some form of portal adds and freshmen. Bryce Chance is a good solid college player. I prefer he stays at DH in my rough draft though.

Alford and Aaron Downs will be interesting to follow this summer.

If Rob Walton is indeed the pitching coach and he can get our team ERA to 5 which isn't that great we're probably hosting a regional right now. We lost a few SEC games by one run so we're really not that far away as it may seem. But still a lot of work to do.

Banned
    vCash
    Also, we don't know what would happen at Georgia because Stricklin never had a season as bad as Lemonis's last 2. Stricklin's predecessor David Perno was up and down over the years, but Georgia never gave him the chance to have 2 straight awful years, much less 3:

If 2012-13 was a bad enough 2-year stretch for Georgia to can Perno, despite his 3 Omaha appearances and a runner up, 2022-23 should be bad enough for a program of our higher stature and fan interest to can Lemonis, despite the good things he's good in his career.
    He wasn't fired for 2 bad years, he was let go for 5 years with 1 SEC winning season and two total NCAA Tournament victories across two appearances and no hosting.

Fact of the matter is that in 2021 our pitching looked mediocre because we would let guys work through their bs in games and we looked trash at points (Swept by Ark, Barely beat Tulane, Lost a home series to Mizzou, double run ruled at Hoover.) Then we re-set and a lot of guys other than Macleod hit their stride.

2022 we had insane injury luck. Sims going down demoralized our team. I still think he was headed for the history books with 20+ Ks and a perfect game that night against Tulane. He looked as unhittable as I've ever seen. When you win a title, you get a mulligan year as assistants. We all felt in 2021 that Foxhall was trash after the mizzou series. But then we all ate crow on the run to the title.

So along comes 2023 and yea, it looks shaky to start and we have injuries. So you're giving it leeway to figure it out. Some of you would have fired him after Vandy, I get why but a natty earns you time to work it out. Pitching started looking better after we had a couple of good outings against at the time the best team in the nation (SCar also got bit by the injury bug but before that they looked like the odds on favorite). Alabama and Ole Miss we won the series and pitching looked relatively stable again. We go on the road to Auburn and really that Sunday game was what soured the fanbase. We don't blow that game and maybe Scott still has a job. But you don't fire a guy over that, especially when we lost a 2-1 game friday night. It wasn't his fault and we battled back ourselves on Saturday so the team didn't look lost. Then you have the Tennessee series. Team looked lost. It was time. And Lemonis did fire him then. Didn't work to save this season but that was naturally where it should have ended.

Find me the college baseball coach fired two years after winning the title. Especially winning that school's first ever title. I'll wait.

Lemonis knows he's got one year left to turn it around. We start out 0-6 with the level of performance that we had against a vandy this year then it should be done then. But I have a feel we're going to be better than a lot of people expect. I see us next being a 12-16 seed hosting and then winning our regional but losing the super to a team that finishes top 4 at CWS. That's just purely my gut feel, but we'll see.

vCash
    1) Lol Todd a week ago you were saying our only problems on defense were Forsythe and Alford, so replace them and were good... now you're saying it'll be "interesting" to follow Alford this summer. Which is it?

2) Regarding pitchers every team in this conference can list guys that have potential. Throwing 92+ isn't rare. Being a good pitcher is. But you can't just list guys with potential like that's all a staff needs to be good, or every SEC staff would be good.

3) A LOT of faith is being placed in Cupp. He needs to 1) Get to campus, 2) be ready to play SEC defense, and 3) be ready to hit SEC pitching. That's a lot of unproven things. "The MLB is high on him!" Yeah well the MLB is high on potential, not short term stuff like "he can start immediately in the SEC". The 2 correlate but its not a given Cupp will be able to be our SS savior.

4) As for being "strong up the middle", Highfill needs to get better. We had a lot of passed balls. Yes he can do it because he's young and did get better as the season went on, but it's an assumption to say he will. And it's an assumption Mershon will be solid at 2B when he wasn't at SS, especially because throwing errors were not the only kind he made. I've already mentioned Cupp. Jordan is good I agree there. So only 1/4 "up the middle" are we actually sure will be solid. And Hines needs to work on his glove at 1B, and we have to find a new 3B from the Portal.

5) people keep defending Lemonis because apparently FIVE YEARS isn't enough time to get decent players in. Let's look at that:

Schlossnagle is in year 2 at A&M. they were a national seed in year 1 and are a 2 seed this season. He's used the Portal a lot.

Vitello is in year 6 at Tennessee. In year 2 they made a regional, year 3 was canceled, year 4 made Omaha, year 5 were a national seed, year 6 are hosting.

Bohannon made a regional year 4, missed it year 5, was on path to host year 6.

Jay Johnson immediately used the Portal to elevate LSU. they are a national seed in year 2.

Butch Thompson is in year 8. They made a regional year 2, the supers year 3, Omaha year 4, year 5 was canceled, year 6 they missed, year 7 they made Omaha, year 8 are hosting. First years were before the Portal too

Corbin made a regional in year 2 and 4, and was a national seed year 5. That was obviously pre Portal.

Point is, it seems mediocre coach are mediocre, but good coaches can flip a team within 5 years.

No good coach has his team get worse the more the roster turns over to his recruits. Let me say that again: NO GOOD COACH HAS HIS TEAM GWT WORSE THE MORE THE ROSTER TUENS OVER TO HIS RECRUITS!

find me a coach who missed Hoover year 4 and 5 but turned it around after that. Go ahead, I'll wait.

vCash
    Also regarding the "we can't hire anyone decent if we fire Leminis now" narrative, my guess is Butch Thompson would take our job. He has a STRONG resume (see above) at a school with less history, fan support, and $$$ resources spent in baseball. He turned around Auburn pretty quick and is fairly consistent at postseason success. He knows us.

Plus his AD is now Cohen, the same man everyone says baseball coaches don't want to work under. So you'd think he'd be more willing to leave than a normal HC.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    Find me the college baseball coach fired two years after winning the title. Especially winning that school's first ever title. I'll wait.
    Probably Bianco next year because Ole Miss doesn't have the inferiority complex that our fanbase does.

Beyond that there aren't any examples of a coach having 2 awful seasons in the next 2 years, so we're in uncharted territory here.

vCash
    What matters the most is that we handled our program the right way and gave ourselves the best chance to hire someone that we all deserve if that isn't Chris Lemonis.
    "The right way," reminds us all of Croom. Not the ideal way to phrase an argument here.

vCash
    Alabama, Georgia, and Missouri hiring good coaches while we're stuck with one more year of losing, and then hiring someone worse than any of those 3 in a year is going to sting for a long time.
    Wonder if UGA snakes MacD.

Seems UGA is best sleeping giant job. Since MSU is content in the basement just yet.

vCash
    Probably Bianco next year because Ole Miss doesn't have the inferiority complex that our fanbase does.

Beyond that there aren't any examples of a coach having 2 awful seasons in the next 2 years, so we're in uncharted territory here.
    They have been wanting to fire him for a decade. They also have deeper pockets. Lemon's 6MM price tag had as much to do with it as the Natty.
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Winning the Liberty Bowl = winning a National Championship now?
    What does the Liberty Bowl have to do with it? He said we couldn't fire an ASSISTANT after one year because of the accolades he had received. I correctly pointed out that we had already fired a head coach with similar accolades after 1 year.

vCash
    We'll see. It doesn't really matter to me whether I am right or not. What matters the most is that we handled our program the right way and gave ourselves the best chance to hire someone that we all deserve if that isn't Chris Lemonis.

I think we have a lot more talent on the team than a lot of our fans realize. Our fans in general have a hard time with believing that players can improve a lot over the course of one offseason and I think we were so poorly coached on the pitching side that they had no chance to show their talent or what they could do.

There are metrics that support my thoughts on this- our stuff rate as a pitching staff was in the top 10. We just need to harness it. I like the core group of players that we have. Lot of work to do in the portal and getting the new pitching coach finalized. I really like Loo, Loftin, and Holcombe's talent and potential. Dohm is a good pitcher. I think him getting hurt against Auburn affected him some the rest of the season. I like Cam Shuelke a JUCO relief pitcher that can come in day one and have a role on the team. Tapper, Siary, and Gibbs have talent. They can help. We'll see who we add in the portal.

We're strong up the middle with Highfill, Mershon, Cupp, and Dakota Jordan. Hines is a 20 home run guy and makes a great tandem with Jordan. Need some other pieces for sure in some form of portal adds and freshmen. Bryce Chance is a good solid college player. I prefer he stays at DH in my rough draft though.

Alford and Aaron Downs will be interesting to follow this summer.

If Rob Walton is indeed the pitching coach and he can get our team ERA to 5 which isn't that great we're probably hosting a regional right now. We lost a few SEC games by one run so we're really not that far away as it may seem. But still a lot of work to do.
    Alford isn't coming back.