Page 57 of 83 FirstFirst ... 747555657585967 ... LastLast
Results 1,121 to 1,140 of 1659

Thread: NCAA Baseball Transfer Portal

vCash
    I don't expect Holman (but have no facts)
    I expect Montgomery
    I expect we'll see a couple new pitcher names soon.
    Holding out hope for Holman. We've thrown everything we've got at him. We've done all we can and that's a lot.
    Last edited by Cooterpoot; 07-27-2023 at 11:07 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    I don't expect Holman (but have no facts)
    I expect Montgomery
    I expect we'll see a couple new pitcher names soon.
    Holding out hope for Holman. We've thrown everything we've got at him. We've done all we can and that's a lot.
    We should not be in this situation. You said "we have done all we can and that's a lot", it's seems a little late after two pitiful season to think that way. If we recruit looking ahead especially with the momentum we had Iwe wouldn't be chasing now as hard.

It's not Msu Baseball that I grew to love.

vCash
    It is over with. Holman should announced for LSU today
    Last edited by BigDawg81; 07-27-2023 at 11:50 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDawg81 View Post
    It?s over with. Holman should announced for LSU today
    I would have loved to have Holman, is he a difference maker, IFFY but maybe better than what we have now. We lose Montgomery and I expect all hell to break out.

Sad indeed.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by basedog View Post
    We should not be in this situation. You said "we have done all we can and that's a lot", it's seems a little late after two pitiful season to think that way. If we recruit looking ahead especially with the momentum we had Iwe wouldn't be chasing now as hard.

I'm not talking about anything but recruiting a couple guys in the portal.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDawg81 View Post
    It is over with. Holman should announced for LSU today
    Move along

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by basedog View Post

The national champs are in the same position- they had to pull portal pitching to remain good. It’s baseball 2023.

The MSU baseball you grew up with is dead. The entire SEC cares about baseball now. In 2020
    And 2021- we were in the Top 20 in the country in recruiting and that’s good. But we were 8th in the SEC. That’s modern SEC baseball
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    The national champs are in the same position- they had to pull portal pitching to remain good. It?s baseball 2023.

The MSU baseball you grew up with is dead. The entire SEC cares about baseball now. In 2020
    And 2021- we were in the Top 20 in the country in recruiting and that?s good. But we were 8th in the SEC. That?s modern SEC baseball
    That is not the same position. Adding talent to maintain versus adding talent to increase are two totally different things.

vCash
    In 2020
    And 2021- we were in the Top 20 in the country in recruiting and that’s good. But we were 8th in the SEC. That’s modern SEC baseball
    And we finished 14th and 13th in the conference. That's modern Lemo baseball.

vCash
    The national champs are in the same position- they had to pull portal pitching to remain good.
    LSU has already pulled WAY more talent than us though, amd they started from a better position.

We lost our best starter (Smith), best reliever (Nixon), our best hitter per the overall stats (Ledbetter) our 3rd best hitter per overall stats (Clark)... and all we added in the Portal is an upgraded 3B, the 5+ERA Miami guy, and... uh... Hope Hujesak makes a massive jump, and hope Montgomery comes, and hope our 8+ ERA guys turn into studs this offseason, and hope every guy coming g back from TJ is ready to go? It's an epic failure so far. We probably have a few of these things break our way, a few break bad for us, but overall I don't see any evidence the team will be significantly improved

LSU went out to Tulane and got a better ace than our Miami guy, is now landing Holman, landed an Arizona OF with better stats than Montgomery, and got a very highly rated by scouts pitcher from UCLA coming back from TJ as a lottery ticket. Will they win the NC next year? Probably not. But they used the Portal to add 2 stud starters and a stud bat, we used it to get 1 ok starter and 1 ok bat.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowbell View Post
    That is not the same position. Adding talent to maintain versus adding talent to increase are two totally different things.
    They are working to bring in weekend starters just as we are- its exactly the same thing

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by the_real_MSU_is_us View Post
    LSU has already pulled WAY more talent than us though, amd they started from a better position.

We lost our best starter (Smith), best reliever (Nixon), our best hitter per the overall stats (Ledbetter) our 3rd best hitter per overall stats (Clark)... and all we added in the Portal is an upgraded 3B, the 5+ERA Miami guy, and... uh... Hope Hujesak makes a massive jump, and hope Montgomery comes, and hope our 8+ ERA guys turn into studs this offseason, and hope every guy coming g back from TJ is ready to go? It's an epic failure so far. We probably have a few of these things break our way, a few break bad for us, but overall I don't see any evidence the team will be significantly improved

LSU went out to Tulane and got a better ace than our Miami guy, is now landing Holman, landed an Arizona OF with better stats than Montgomery, and got a very highly rated by scouts pitcher from UCLA coming back from TJ as a lottery ticket. Will they win the NC next year? Probably not. But they used the Portal to add 2 stud starters and a stud bat, we used it to get 1 ok starter and 1 ok bat.
    They also lost alot more than we did. They lost CF, 1B, 2B, SS, DH and others.

vCash
    They also lost alot more than we did. They lost CF, 1B, 2B, SS, DH and others.
    I'm not sure what your point is.

How does LSU loosing more than us make me feel better about our own failure to improve our team?

LSU could have gotten zero players from the Portal, it doesnt make our current '24 outlook any better. We're only using LSU as a Portal example to show that it is possible to have much better hauls than ours. We could talk about TN if you want to. Or Arky (they got a Friday stud we desperately need).

LSU will be better than us next year, partially because they have a good HC and we don't, partially because they have a much better Portal class

vCash
    It was obvious that we made the wrong choice in bringing back Lemonis in May, and it's still obvious today. He's just not going to cut it at the level we aspire and deserve to be at.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Quaoarsking View Post
    It was obvious that we made the wrong choice in bringing back Lemonis in May, and it's still obvious today. He's just not going to cut it at the level we aspire and deserve to be at.
    But hey, we saved $6 million. **

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by the_real_MSU_is_us View Post
    Lot of promises way back in this thread from some very confident individuals. I remember spme names but theres no value in calling then out. Even of we do land Montgomery (and it's dragged on so long I doubt we do) it's clear he's entertaining other offers, and so the promises a month ago about him being on board were jumping the gun.

Let this be a lesson about "silent commits". People believe what they want. Recruits are nice to coaches faces, and some take that politenes evidence they love it here and will come. Fans are desperate for us to be good again and latch onto the lifeline of good transfer news.

If it sounds sketchy, it probably is. The whole idea that we had elite players "silently commited" and not even in the Portal yet was always a joke. It sounds like OM fans when they say McDonnell is going to replace Bianco as soon as OM calls. It sounds like that kid in 9th grade that totally had a GF, but she goes to another school and no you can't see a pic. No other schools have commits delay their announcement for very long... unless that player is still shopping for something better. Like a guy who wants a multi year long engagement.
    Who made a promise about Holman? I've literally seen nobody say that

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjoelner34 View Post
    But hey, we saved $6 million. **
    No that was his buyout in May. Next years it's like $3M. Plus Parker probably has a $500k+ buyout so in the end keeping Lemo probably saves $2.5M. Throwing away a baseball season and letting the program slide back more (which hurts recruiting) over $2.5m...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Quaoarsking View Post
    Ding ding ding.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by confucius say View Post
    Who made a promise about Holman? I've literally seen nobody say that
    People were cryptic and refused to say names. Whether that's because they A) didn't want to say names and piss off the player by leaking it, B) because they were talking out of their ass and wanted to stay vague, or C) because they wanted keep that info for some other reason, I can't say

But go back and read the comments. People said we had plural massive commits. That us naysayers would "eat crow when the news drops". That we were on "big arms" with an implication we'd land one. My honest recollection is that some of them were about Hollman, could be wrong on that though. No, I'm not going to find every instance, cite names, or bother to give exact quotes. Yes, some of those comments may have been discussing Burns or another guy we also didnt land. There's 50 pages of comments you can go through if you want to know details.

To be honest this whole thing has exhausted me. I'm watching State Baseball fall apart and have had to argue over the very basics of our situation with people who ignore my points and come up with convoluted arguments to pretend all is well. I'm over it. We will suck next year as everyone with a brain can see, lemo will get fired, the program will be in a bad spot, and the same people who are saying well be good next year will flip to saying they always knew we'd suck. And I'll be here to call them out. But today there's no point
    Last edited by the_real_MSU_is_us; 07-27-2023 at 02:17 PM.

vCash
    We were only promised "silent commitments"

Holman is going to visually play for LSU but remain silently committed to Lemonis.

Lemonis is going to be nice guy that players call about to complain about their jerk Real Coach. Like Polk used to be with Ben McDonald. Friends with Polk but playing for Skip Bertman.