Page 56 of 83 FirstFirst ... 646545556575866 ... LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,120 of 1659

Thread: NCAA Baseball Transfer Portal

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    There's more to what he said than Stanford visiting/ meeting w him. Read that ever how you will.
    If by "he" you mean me, yes you are absolutely right.

vCash
    If we do get Montgomery, I hope MSU admissions office accepts those Stanford credit hours.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by the_real_MSU_is_us View Post
    Wait I thought pitching was all that mattered? Lol

In an interesting flip of the argument from earlier, I view the pitcher as the more important of 2, and you the hitter.
    Looks like we missed on all the pitchers if Holman does not join MSU

Molina, The Wichita Kids, the Notre Dame Kid, and Burns all missed.

Gonna need Parker magic, JCs to be good, and TJs to recover

vCash
    The Miami guy should compete for a weekend spot.

It will be beyond disappointing if we can’t get 2 good SP’s out of Loftin, Loo, and Holcombe. Last chance for the latter 2 as they will be gone with the draft next July
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Federalist Engineer View Post
    Looks like we missed on all the pitchers if Holman does not join MSU

Molina, The Wichita Kids, the Notre Dame Kid, and Burns all missed.

Gonna need Parker magic, JCs to be good, and TJs to recover
    Yeah, I think most fans wanted to see a lot of arms out of the transfer portal. Seems like the staff disagrees and is more focused on rolling the dice on a Friday night ace.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post

It will be beyond disappointing if we can?t get 2 good SP?s out of Loftin, Loo, and Holcombe. Last chance for the latter 2 as they will be gone with the draft next July
    Even if These guys become starters, we ain't gonna have a deep enough pen to make a run, especially after a couple of injuries.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldogcountry1 View Post
    Yeah, I think most fans wanted to see a lot of arms out of the transfer portal. Seems like the staff disagrees and is more focused on rolling the dice on a Friday night ace.
    I mean we have a lot of arms with decent "stuff", they just need development. What we need are starters that can chew innings to get us to the arms we have that are successful in taking a step this offseason. We will not have 27 innings of pitching. But we may get say, 15 out of the guys we have. Need to bring in starters for the rest, a 1-2 inning a week reliever isn't going to cut it.

As for the coaches, I think they did everything they could to convince every decent starter to come here. It was a loosing battle vs guys we had no inside track with, especially coming off these past 2 seasons. It was a hopeless fight when we didn't even have our PC hired, which it why it matters Lemo took so long to land one.

Basically I don't think we were "rolling the dice on a Friday night Ace", I think we were down 6 pts at the end of the game and were taking hail marries because that's what our situation calls for.

vCash

It will be beyond disappointing if we can’t get 2 good SP’s out of Loftin, Loo, and Holcombe. Last chance for the latter 2 as they will be gone with the draft next July
    Out of those 3, 2 had 8+ ERAS and the 3rd had command issues and never got to pitch vs SEC hitters. Could we get 2 making a huge jump? Sure. But it's more likely we get 1/3, with maybe another contributing but not for many innings. That's if we're lucky imo. That's what the overall history of the sport says.

Now, I'll actually be quite disappointed if the Miami guy can't perform as a Saturday level. ERA of 5 last year, but was hurt. Averaged over 5 innings a start vs ACC hitters who are decent. With Parker, I could see him going 5+ every Saturday with an ERA of 4.5. Basically, he SHOULD be able to replace Cade Smiths 5+ ERA and 5 innings a start.

vCash

The Miami kid should do alright. He will come with experience. He has pedigree of a big recruit. This is his year to shine, his upside could be tremendous.

vCash
    If we don't get Montgomery OR Holman we may as well start up the coaching search now. Also, a lot of people with big promises in this thread will have to eat some crow. I don't have insider info and never claimed too, but many here acted like some big transfers were silent commits

vCash
    If we don't get Montgomery OR Holman we may as well start up the coaching search now. Also, a lot of people with big promises in this thread will have to eat some crow. I don't have insider info and never claimed too, but many here acted like some big transfers were silent commits
    I've been saying Montgomery for months. And if that changes, I'll own it.

Banned
    vCash
    Kendall has LSU sources and doesn't have State sources. His posts all off season are indicative of that. He's only getting fed corndog info.

vCash
    I give no ****s what their ERA?s were last year as true Freshmen. They are all projected to be drafted fairly high. They have talent.

vCash
    I give no ****s what their ERA?s were last year as true Freshmen. They are all projected to be drafted fairly high. They have talent.
    Um... ok... you know you yourself have said the MLB wanted Loo as a SS, right? Loftin was a highly thought of draft prospect, fair enough. Where was Holcombe drafted in 22?

But regardless, it's not like every top 10 round draft prospect ends up making the MLB. Even top 3 round guys bust. And that's with years of development, not just 1 offseason with a real PC like our guys will have. It's possible, but unfair to the even expect that of 2/3 of them. Hope you're right though. You better be if Holman picks LSU

vCash
    Loftin was a highly thought of draft prospect, fair enough. Where was Holcombe drafted in 22?
    A) Loo threw 28 innings his Sr year of HS. We are talking about a pitcher with top talent but not a ton of experience. He went from that to starting against SEC teams. He was put into a situation he wasnt prepared for. He should make a big jump.

B) Holcombe is a work in progress. Tons of talent just raw

C) Loftin is the one I expect to make the rotation for sure. He was a little wild but he is a pitcher and thinks he is the best player on the field when he takes the mound. Really excited about him next Spring and wont be surprised at all if he is our Friday guy.

D) Simmons will be almost 2 years post TJ in January. A large number of pitchers are better post TJ than before. If he is not in the rotation he will likely be the 1st guy out of the pen.

I hope we get Holman but not stressed if we dont. We have talent- it has to be coached and then perform. A good PC makes that happen

vCash
    Hearing that we may be receiving bad news on Holman today. This is coming from a source that is probably down a good bit on the grapevine, but the top of our grapevine doesn?t seem to know what is happening unless it is bad news for MSU.

I?ve been holding out a sliver of hope and still do but I?m afraid we pissed away any momentum that we had in terms of being able to recruit. It?s hard enough to out recruit the big schools as it is.

vCash
    Honestly I don't think that's a huge surprise. Seems like I read where Holman and Montgomery wanted to play together too, so there's that. . . . . .
    "The QB and the receiver weren't on the same page there, but hey its only week eleven". (Jack Cristil)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AlSwearengen View Post
    Hearing that we may be receiving bad news on Holman today. This is coming from a source that is probably down a good bit on the grapevine, but the top of our grapevine doesn?t seem to know what is happening unless it is bad news for MSU.

I?ve been holding out a sliver of hope and still do but I?m afraid we pissed away any momentum that we had in terms of being able to recruit. It?s hard enough to out recruit the big schools as it is.
    Lot of promises way back in this thread from some very confident individuals. I remember spme names but theres no value in calling then out. Even of we do land Montgomery (and it's dragged on so long I doubt we do) it's clear he's entertaining other offers, and so the promises a month ago about him being on board were jumping the gun.

Let this be a lesson about "silent commits". People believe what they want. Recruits are nice to coaches faces, and some take that politenes evidence they love it here and will come. Fans are desperate for us to be good again and latch onto the lifeline of good transfer news.

If it sounds sketchy, it probably is. The whole idea that we had elite players "silently commited" and not even in the Portal yet was always a joke. It sounds like OM fans when they say McDonnell is going to replace Bianco as soon as OM calls. It sounds like that kid in 9th grade that totally had a GF, but she goes to another school and no you can't see a pic. No other schools have commits delay their announcement for very long... unless that player is still shopping for something better. Like a guy who wants a multi year long engagement.

vCash
    Anybody expecting to get Holman over LSU was kidding themselves. It could happen- but was always a very slim chance.

Losing Montgomery? No excuse there