Page 5 of 83 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast

Thread: NCAA Baseball Transfer Portal

Senior Member SpaceWranglerDawg's Avatar
    vCash
    Von Seibert has entered the portal.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaceWranglerDawg View Post
    He's going to be a beer league softball legend one of these days. . . . .
    "The QB and the receiver weren't on the same page there, but hey its only week eleven". (Jack Cristil)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaceWranglerDawg View Post
    I still wonder why he stuck around for another year. I was genuinely blown away he did not transfer last off-season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StarkVegasSteve View Post
    I still wonder why he stuck around for another year. I was genuinely blown away he did not transfer last off-season.
    My thoughts as well. I could be totally wrong, but I?m hoping the urgency of this upcoming season makes Lemonis really get some pieces out of the portal.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ZedFedder View Post
    My thoughts as well. I could be totally wrong, but I?m hoping the urgency of this upcoming season makes Lemonis really get some pieces out of the portal.
    Why would he want to do that? He thinks he is doing a great job and his players need to just listen better. I suspect everybody will have a bucket to sit on next year. 🤣🤣🤣

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ZedFedder View Post
    You guys act like he hasnt been doing that before now. He has brought in some really good position players. Our problem is a pitching problem. We havent been able to bring in the arms we have needed. It eventually falls on him as HC but the evals on these pitching guys is done by the pitching coach. This is what got Fox fired. This year's evals and signings will decide Lemon's future.
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    Our problem is a pitching problem.
    Sigh. I'm getting really tired or repeating this: we were #14 in defense, and #10 in scoring the past 2 seasons.

We are not "a pitching staff away". We are a "pitching staff away" from a sub par offense and terrible defense and going 1-2 in a regional because of it.

You can't blame the defense on Fox. You can't blame a sub average offense on Fox.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by the_real_MSU_is_us View Post
    Sigh. I'm getting really tired or repeating this: we were #14 in defense, and #10 in scoring the past 2 seasons.

We are not "a pitching staff away". We are a "pitching staff away" from a sub par offense and terrible defense and going 1-2 in a regional because of it.

You can't blame the defense on Fox. You can't blame a sub average offense on Fox.
    You can repeat that all you want- but pitching in baseball is everything. We were last in SEC games

Bama led the SEC in ERA. Bama tied us for 9th in SEC games in batting average, and scored 9 more runs in 30 SEC games than we did. They are hosting. Not to mention we won the series vs them
    Last edited by Coach34; 06-01-2023 at 08:52 PM.

vCash
    You can repeat that all you want- but pitching in baseball is everything.

Bama led the SEC in ERA. Bama tied us for 9th in SEC games in average, and scored 9 more runs in 30 SEC games than we did. They are hosting.
    Wow what a reach! Scoring and defense don't matter??

But let's look at Bama:

http://a.espncdn.com/sec/baseball/2023/seconly.pdf

They are 1st in ERA, 9th in BA, 7th in fielding. If pitching was truly all that mattered, they'd be near the top of the conference in final standings... but they're in a 3 way tie for 7th. That's right, their great pitching was not even able to lift them above where their hitting and defense alone implies they should be (7th and 9th implies a #8 finish which is right on the money). It's almost like hitting and fielding matter.

Just admit the obvious truth: lemo sucks but we don't want to pay the buyout so we're conceding '24. You don't have to cover for the admin by pretending it'll be alright

vCash
    So their pitching is why they are hosting? They are a top 16 seed in the entire country. Why? Pitching

vCash
    So their pitching is why they are hosting? They are a top 16 seed in the entire country. Why? Pitching
    You're going to sidestep all the numbers in my post and go right back to the hosting thing?

Literally over half the conference is hosting. If they had a bad pitching staff, they'd have won less games and they wouldn't be hosting. But if they had a better offense and defense they'd be a national seed. All 3 matter- you're the one claiming only Pitching matters which is beyond "grasping at straws" as far as arguments go.

LSU was 8th in ERA. but they're a national seed. Why? Their hitting was #3, defense #11, and when you combing those 3 the hitting was enough time elevate the other 2. If pitching is all that matters how does the #8 ERA get a national seed or finish with the 3rd best conference record?

All 3 factors matter. You're the one claiming pitching matters way more the the others, but the stats don't bear that out.

vCash
    I'm not side-stepping anything. Bama scored 9 more runs in SEC games than we did- thats nothing considering we allowed 5 more earned runs than them per game.

Let that sink in. Bama is hosting- we got left out.

Bama allowed 150 less earned runs than us in SEC play. But only scored 9 more runs than we did. We didnt have an offense problem. We had a pitching problem- especially the 2nd half of the season when we made the change at SS. Also having a true freshman catcher contributed to that.

But only a Lemon hater or moron doesnt see we have had a pitching problem.
    192 walks in 250 innings- worst in the SEC
    318 hits given up- worst in the SEC
    131 extra base hits- far and away worst in the SEC

Defense could have been better- but those 3 categories is why we arent in the NCAA Tourney

vCash
    I'm not side-stepping anything. Bama scored 9 more runs in SEC games than we did- thats nothing considering we allowed 5 more earned runs than them per game.

Let that sink in. Bama is hosting- we got left out.

Bama allowed 150 less earned runs than us in SEC play. But only scored 9 more runs than we did. We didnt have an offense problem. We had a pitching problem- especially the 2nd half of the season when we made the change at SS. Also having a true freshman catcher contributed to that.

But only a Lemon hater or moron doesnt see we have had a pitching problem.
    192 walks in 250 innings- worst in the SEC
    318 hits given up- worst in the SEC
    131 extra base hits- far and away worst in the SEC

Defense could have been better- but those 3 categories is why we arent in the NCAA Tourney
    What kind of strawman argument is this? I never said pitching doesn't matter. I never said Bamas pitching being miles better than ours isn't the reason they're hosting and we're at home. I said HITTING AND DEFENSE MATTER TOO, amd I've provided stats from Bama and LSU to prove that pitching isn't all that matters. A good offense can redeem a bad staff and vice versa.

BUT, this is the big BUT here, you need to be a COMPLETE TEAM to win at a State level. Even if the new PC gets us to a Bama level staff (and he won't since he's regularly 5/9 in his conference) we'd fail to make Omaha due to offensive and defensive limitations.

You are the one who said offense and defense don't matter. The burden of proof is on you to prove with statistics offense and defense don't matter.

vCash
    I didnt say that at all. But with a pitching staff thats 9th or 10th in the SEC this year- which would have lowered our team ERA by 3 runs- or 90 runs over the SEC grind- we are in the NCAA Tourney. Thats the bottom line

vCash
    I didnt say that at all. But with a pitching staff thats 9th or 10th in the SEC this year- which would have lowered our team ERA by 3 runs- or 90 runs over the SEC grind- we are in the NCAA Tourney. Thats the bottom line
    and honestly- if we had lowered our ERA by 3 runs and allowed 90 fewer runs in SEC play- we would be in the hosting conversation. Our RPI would have been very high and we would have had at least 15 SEC wins if not more

vCash
    You can repeat that all you want- but pitching in baseball is everything. We were last in SEC games
    You literally said pitching is everything.

But yes of out pitching was just "sub par" instead of "abysmal", we'd have made the tournament. I agree.

And you know what? We wouldn't have gone anywhere because a mediocre staff and a mediocre offense and a abysmal defense = no postseason success.

If you're happy with that, then sure let's keep Lemonis.

vCash
    You literally said pitching is everything.

But yes of out pitching was just "sub par" instead of "abysmal", we'd have made the tournament. I agree.

And you know what? We wouldn't have gone anywhere because a mediocre staff and a mediocre offense and a abysmal defense = no postseason success.

If you're happy with that, then sure let's keep Lemonis.
    We were 13th in fielding in the SEC in 2021. It didnt stop us from winning a Natty.

Pitching is what matters

vCash
    It sucks we are in this position, should not have happened.

That is a fact! Only one reason!

Can't believe you are making excuses 34, this doesn't sound like you. It all goes back to coaching and who is in charge. Players play the game when a coach brings them to the school and makes out the lineup.

Last and next to last is the problem.

vCash
    If we hadn't been mercy ruled so many times who knows what our offensive production would have been.

Only half joking.
    Everyone wants to be a beast...until its time to do what beasts do.

vCash
    We were 13th in fielding in the SEC in 2021. It didnt stop us from winning a Natty.

Pitching is what matters
    And even then, luck and timing can play just as big of a part (see OM 2022).

Baseball is a sport where sometimes stats just don't matter. Yes, it's obvious this team had issues (especially pitching).
    But as you point out - the 2021 team didn't exactly light up any of the stat categories. These are stats from all games - including post season so we played more games than most teams)
    On offense: 7th in Batting Average, 9th in SLG, 5th OBP, 3rd in Runs Scored (having played the most games), 4th in hits, 2nd in RBI, 8th in HR, 4th in Total Bases, 3rd in BB, 2nd lowest K's, 1st in Ground into DPS
    Pitching: 6th in ERA, 2nd in BA Against,1st in Ks, 8th in hits, 11th in runs, 10th in Earned Runs, 2nd in Walks, 4th in HR allowed, 1st in Wild Pitches,
    Fielding - 9th in %, 4th in Errors

If you glance at those stats against the rest of the SEC would you peg them as the National Champs? Hell No.
    But those MF's knew how to win. They were killers who nutted up when things mattered. That is what makes winners in the SEC today - because the talent is there across the board.
    7 different SEC schools have Nattys since 1990 (that ups to at least 9 starting next year. 9 SEC team have played for Nattys (at least 11 next year). 9 different SEC teams have made the CWS over the past 5 years (that goes to at least 11 next year).
    The road is just going to get harder.

I don't think its the talent, or in some respects the coaching decisions in game. Lemonis is going to have to demand work and excellence - and he's going to have to be a hard ass about it. Some times teams have players who are naturally that way (2018-2021), Sometimes they aren't and the coach has to make them that way (see Cohen, John - 2009-2012). Can Lemonis do it? I don't know. If he can't, then he's got to figure out how to get the players who will do it themselves - or next year we will be coach searching.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18