Page 3 of 83 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: NCAA Baseball Transfer Portal

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ZedFedder View Post
    There is going to be more than enough solid players in the portal. We just have to get the right PC and land some of these guys. I think with the urgency that is required for next season, we get a few impact guys.
    Absolutely.

Ray Charles blindfolded in Stevie Wonder's basement can see the opportunity for playing time we have here. And with the DNF atmosphere to boot, there will be plenty of interest. We just have to get the evaluations right, something we have struggled with lately (on the mound especially).
    Everyone wants to be a beast...until its time to do what beasts do.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Leroy Jenkins View Post
    Absolutely.

Ray Charles blindfolded in Stevie Wonder's basement can see the opportunity for playing time we have here. And with the DNF atmosphere to boot, there will be plenty of interest. We just have to get the evaluations right, something we have struggled with lately (on the mound especially).
    Which makes getting the RIGHT PC in place with boots on the ground ASAP all the more important.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LibraryDawg View Post
    Which makes getting the RIGHT PC in place with boots on the ground ASAP all the more important.
    Oxymoron. RIGHT PC/ASAP

you hope the best PC that will come to State has a Pitching Staff that is pitching in the last week of the season or at worse coaches for one of the last 16 teams.

vCash
    We just have to get the evaluations right, something we have struggled with lately (on the mound especially).
    We cant bring in a guy like Holcombe- a very talented project. We need a couple of guys that can pitch.
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    We cant bring in a guy like Holcombe- a very talented project. We need a couple of guys that can pitch.
    I agree. Although Holcombe can become dominant with the right coach.

Senior Member SpaceWranglerDawg's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ZedFedder View Post
    I agree. Although Holcombe can become dominant with the right coach.
    For sure he can. He's got the skills, just needs somebody to help him reign it in.

(Also, these pop ups are mildly infuriating)

vCash
    Hopefully most of the guys we pull through the portal are still playing atleast through this weekend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaceWranglerDawg View Post

(Also, these pop ups are mildly infuriating)

They are, but in fairness the board has to make money somehow and I sure don't want to pay to be here. As long as the ad money doesn't go to advertising ED... the last thing we want is an influx of casual fans that don't know how the board works or follow the programs. I may argue with C34 or Todd but at the end of the day sometimes they're right, sometimes I'm right, usually im quiet and just learn from people who know more. Most importantly, the conversation always stays on topic. What else can you want from a board?
    Last edited by the_real_MSU_is_us; 05-30-2023 at 07:48 PM.

Senior Member SpaceWranglerDawg's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by the_real_MSU_is_us View Post
    They are, but in fairness the board has to make money somehow and I sure don't want to pay to be here. As long as the ad money doesn't go to advertising ED... the last thing we want is an influx of casual fans that don't know how the board works or follow the programs. I may argue with C34 or Todd but at the end of the day sometimes they're right, sometimes I'm right, usually im quiet and just learn from people who know more. Most importantly, the conversation always stays on topic. What else can you want from a board?
    Zero issues at all for the board making money, I just felt like they (the pop ups) hit a massive uptick overnight. I hope at least they generate a good bit, ha.

vCash
    You have to balance it out. Projects need to have huge ceilings like Holcombe but the staff has to have a mix of pitchability guys to balance out the risk

vCash
    And with the DNF atmosphere to boot, there will be plenty of interest.
    DNF Atmosphere really doesnt mean what it used to. Its all about NIL and playing time.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    You have to balance it out. Projects need to have huge ceilings like Holcombe but the staff has to have a mix of pitchability guys to balance out the risk
    Projects going into next year aren't what Lemonis needs, if so he will be gone most likely.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by basedog View Post
    Projects going into next year aren't what Lemonis needs, if so he will be gone most likely.
    This

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeshouldveflanked View Post
    DNF Atmosphere really doesnt mean what it used to. It?s all about NIL and playing time.
    Exactly - the atmosphere while fantastically awesome on big weekends and players dig it means very little to those driven to make the next level

1. Do their players get drafted? How high?
    2. Playing time opportunities early?
    3. Are players getting better over time? (See 1)
    Regardless of what people think-development can and should continue to happen during the season- it?s on the coaches to provide the tools necessary and on the player to take advantage
    It?s gotta be part of the culture
    4. Do they have my major
    5. NIL
    6-9 fill in
    10. Stadium atmosphere and fans

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sandjunky View Post
    Exactly - the atmosphere while fantastically awesome on big weekends and players dig it means very little to those driven to make the next level

1. Do their players get drafted? How high?
    2. Playing time opportunities early?
    3. Are players getting better over time? (See 1)
    Regardless of what people think-development can and should continue to happen during the season- it?s on the coaches to provide the tools necessary and on the player to take advantage
    It?s gotta be part of the culture
    4. Do they have my major
    5. NIL
    6-9 fill in
    10. Stadium atmosphere and fans

4. Do they have my major........

I think this gets overlooked a lot! I know that sports (wether its baseball, basketball, softball, football, ect...) is a draw to go somewhere and possibly get school paid for but if a college does not have a major close to what you want to do after college then it can be a deal breaker. My daughter just graduated high school and had offers from 6-8 schools some low D1, D2, D3 , MIAS, and Juco offers to play basketball. She will end up going the Juco route though because some of the (higher level) schools didn't have her field of study and money was also an issue. The basketball side would have been a lot better at some of the higher level schools but it would be crazy to go to school for 4 years and get a degree that you don't want or could use to use in a career field that you want to do for the rest of your life.........

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeshouldveflanked View Post
    DNF Atmosphere really doesnt mean what it used to. Its all about NIL and playing time.
    I thought that was universally understood and didn't need to be said, but yeah. You are wasting time shopping in the portal if you didn't have playing time to offer, and enough NIL for the bigger fish. Several current and former players have said they wanted to come here for the atmosphere. That helps a lot when you are competing fairly equally for recruits in other areas.
    Everyone wants to be a beast...until its time to do what beasts do.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    Bingo. We have been a little project heavy and just havent done the job of getting them where they need to be. I love Holcombe and feel like the right PC can get him where he needs to be by Feb
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Bingo. We have been a little project heavy and just havent done the job of getting them where they need to be. I love Holcombe and feel like the right PC can get him where he needs to be by Feb
    We desperately need some inning eaters also. Strike out guys are a necessity but it also leaves you short handed. Ethan Small was dominate bit also never got past the 6th inning.

vCash
    It helps to have a pitcher who can get the swing and miss nowadays because you dont see a lot of guys standing there taking called third strikes. Unless, of course, they play for Lemonis and Geautreau. 😳

vCash
    Our roster should look like Wichitas right now - nearly all in portal