Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Pitching Coach Candidates

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Rob Walton. The end.

Unless it gets Schlossnagled.
    Isn?t he kind of busy counting his $$$Billions? Is WalMart in that big of trouble that an heir has to resort to coaching baseball?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mparkerfd20 View Post
    Word I've heard is we've hired Muscara, but will not be named until their season completes. Take it for what it's worth.
    That would be an A+++ hire. Credit where it's due to Lemonis, he truly is a great recruiter if he can land Muscara.

vCash
    Word I've heard is we've hired Muscara, but will not be named until their season completes. Take it for what it's worth.
    We're not hiring Muscara. It's not happening.

He's gonna be a HC

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by the_real_MSU_is_us View Post
    And that would be a VERY mediocre hire. I posted in another thread when it came up but here's the guys last 7 years of stats. I go back 7 years because 7 years ago was his best season and I don't want anyone claiming I'm being unfair by "only" going back 3 or 5 seasons.

These are his staffs last 7 ERA finishes relative to the 9 team BIG-12 conference, starting with '23 and ending with '16:

5th, 3rd, 5th, 7th, 7th, 6th, 2nd. Total average finish: 5th out of 9.

If the best we can do is a guy that's putting out slightly below average ERAs in the big 12, god help us.
    Where do those numbers rank nationally?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KOdawg1 View Post
    Where do those numbers rank nationally?
    Don't know, and frankly don't really care since there's so many baseball teams at a lower level. I would like to know where he ranks in a "national P5 only" comparison.

All we know is that within his conference, with 100% his guys, he's 5th out of 9.

vCash
    Don't know, and frankly don't really care since there's so many baseball teams at a lower level. I would like to know where he ranks in a "national P5 only" comparison.

All we know is that within his conference, with 100% his guys, he's 5th out of 9.
    So on par with Lemonis at IU - middle of the pack

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Federalist Engineer View Post
    Then Byrne has to give him the big job. He might just do that.
    If I was Byrne, I certainly would.

vCash
    Well, it?s too bad that Muscara has told us No. It?s going to be Walton barring any shenanigans .
    Last edited by BigDawg81; 05-25-2023 at 12:49 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDawg81 View Post
    Well, it?s too bad that Muscara has told us No. It?s going to be Walton barring any shenanigans .
    This^^^

vCash
    I don't know how we're supposed Tobe excited about it.

Can we do worse? Yes. But is he a really good PC that'll build us a + staff? No. Seems like the kind of hire that can improve us just enough to make a regional and keep Lemonis but not enough to actually get us anywhere. Maybe that's just me being negative though.

His numbers aren't great, that's all I'll say

vCash
    I don't know how we're supposed Tobe excited about it.

Can we do worse? Yes. But is he a really good PC that'll build us a + staff? No. Seems like the kind of hire that can improve us just enough to make a regional and keep Lemonis but not enough to actually get us anywhere. Maybe that's just me being negative though.

His numbers aren't great, that's all I'll say
    Who are you referencing?

vCash
    So
    10.8k per 9 to 4.4bb per 9 with 44hbp with 979 fielding

Vs

10.7K per 9 to 6.3 bb per 9 with 46 hbp with 964 fielding

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KOdawg1 View Post
    We're not hiring Muscara. It's not happening.

He's gonna be a HC
    If he takes our pitching coach job, he's gonna be a head coach right here midseason.

vCash
    Who are you referencing?
    Walton, from Oklahoma State. That's who everyone seems to agree were hiring

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sandjunky View Post
    So
    10.8k per 9 to 4.4bb per 9 with 44hbp with 979 fielding

Vs

10.7K per 9 to 6.3 bb per 9 with 46 hbp with 964 fielding
    I mean Walton will definitely be an improvement over Fox don't get me wrong... he just seems so... mediocre. Which in the SEC, a mediocre P5 coach is a below average SEC coach cause the teams here invest in baseball and attract the best coaches.

If Walton is 5th out of 9 total in the big 12, he'll probably be 10th out of 16 total in the SEC (Texas and OU joining soon)

vCash
    I mean Walton will definitely be an improvement over Fox don't get me wrong... he just seems so... mediocre. Which in the SEC, a mediocre P5 coach is a below average SEC coach cause the teams here invest in baseball and attract the best coaches.

If Walton is 5th out of 9 total in the big 12, he'll probably be 10th out of 16 total in the SEC (Texas and OU joining soon)
    His Team ERA is consistently under 5 as it is right now. How many games does State win if the pitching is giving up less than 5 rpg? We are talking about hosting a regional right now. Also, look at the program right now. Lemonis might not be here this time next year. I admit it?s not a homerun hire but it?s a good hire especially with situation we are in right now.

vCash
    His Team ERA is consistently under 5 as it is right now. How many games does State win if the pitching is giving up less than 5 rpg? We are talking about hosting a regional right now. Also, look at the program right now. Lemonis might not be here this time next year. I admit it?s not a homerun hire but it?s a good hire especially with situation we are in right now.
    Again, i think he's good enough to improve us and get us to a regional. But you can't just assume his ERA from another conference will be the same in the SEC.

What we know is that vs his conference peers, playing the same competition, 4 of 8 other pitching coaches have lower staff ERAs. We can either conclude 1) Walton is mediocre (my contention) or 2) walton is really good but he BIG-12 has insanely good pitching coaches. They certainly do have some good baseball programs, so I guess 2) is possible. But it's less likely than 1) imo.

At the end of the day I think people are scared to walk into our shitshow of a pitching staff and work under a HC with the hottest seat in the country. "you have a massive project and you'll probably be looking for work this time next year" isn't a good sales pitch, even with the money we can offer
    Last edited by the_real_MSU_is_us; 05-25-2023 at 01:29 PM.

vCash
    Umm it?s not under 5 big guy - it?s actually 5.25

vCash
    Hell, I'd still take that!

vCash
    you?re right but he is going to be the pitching barring something off the wall happens.