Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NIL Talk

vCash

NIL Talk

Where are we realistically? I'm of the opinion we are fine and we have had a lot of coaches new in several sports so I just think itll take time but some are worried about NIL. If they are right and I am wrong how do we get where we need to be?

vCash
    Rumor I have heard is that we spend most of our NIL $ to keep our good players, thus limited funds for HS "salaries". Connected friend of mine says we need to play "Money Ball". Look at how many of last year's aTm freshman class hit the portal after one year on campus. This may be sustainable for the big boys, but it's a mess for college sports overall. JMO.

vCash
    Thanks Goldendawg. thats where I figured we lived and am ok with it. aTm type schools will feed us and well get them with plenty of eligibility while we still finds the diamonds like we always have

vCash
    yep. Our NIL is mostly spent on keeping players- not bringing in new ones. Good strategy with limited funds
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    That really isn?t the worst idea.

vCash
    I hope we are doing well in other areas because this is about the worst start to a HS recruiting season I can remember since way back.

Senior Member Lord McBuckethead's Avatar
    vCash
    Just put it this way, every 3 star player in the nation thinks they deserve a big pay day. Seriously. They are all the best players on their team, they feel they should be a high 4 star, and one of if not the only real world convo they are having with each school is what kind of NIL package they can get.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    yep. Our NIL is mostly spent on keeping players- not bringing in new ones. Good strategy with limited funds
    Especially when we have guys that have extra Covid years.
    "We will have no problem in handling Kentucky."-Turfdawg67. MSU suffered a 27-17 defeat in 2022 with 225 yards in total offense.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldendawg View Post
    Rumor I have heard is that we spend most of our NIL $ to keep our good players, thus limited funds for HS "salaries". Connected friend of mine says we need to play "Money Ball". Look at how many of last year's aTm freshman class hit the portal after one year on campus. This may be sustainable for the big boys, but it's a mess for college sports overall. JMO.

The HS recruits we are going to get are the highest risk. I don't think we need to focus on HS kids, because there are probably 500 kids in MS who think that they are SEC players who deserve a big payday. Meanwhile, there will be tons of players in the portal that have had to prove themselves in college and have been humbled. It's not a great way to build a program, but it's reality. It's going to be the best NIL value for our program. It's probably the best option for all but about 10 programs.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maroonmania View Post
    I hope we are doing well in other areas because this is about the worst start to a HS recruiting season I can remember since way back.
    We are about to lose a bunch of experience after this year. I wouldn't be shocked if we are going to be heavy in the portal.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowbell View Post
    We are about to lose a bunch of experience after this year. I wouldn't be shocked if we are going to be heavy in the portal.
    I've been told that the people driving the NIL truck are hoping for a 9 win season with a potential 10th win in a bowl to help drive NIL donations so that we can make a splash in the portal because it is an absolute necessity so that we don't have a very rough 2024 season.

I also like the strategy of spending our money on proven commodities like our seniors. I know the bears are spending money on high school kids, but look what happens when half of those kids don't contribute much their freshman year and then leave. That is a terrible investment and I hope they keep doing it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HancockCountyDog View Post
    I've been told that the people driving the NIL truck are hoping for a 9 win season with a potential 10th win in a bowl to help drive NIL donations so that we can make a splash in the portal because it is an absolute necessity so that we don't have a very rough 2024 season.

I also like the strategy of spending our money on proven commodities like our seniors. I know the bears are spending money on high school kids, but look what happens when half of those kids don't contribute much their freshman year and then leave. That is a terrible investment and I hope they keep doing it.
    9 regular season wins? I can’t imagine people with realistic expectations think that. 6-6 or 7-5 is more likely and if one of those wins is over Ole Miss that will be a good year given our situation. 4 non conference should be wins along with UK and OM at home. @Ark is the swing game. Not sure I see much else unless we pull an upset @aTm which may be possible given their struggles against the Mississippi teams

vCash
    We just had nine players named pre-season All SEC with 5 on the offensive side of the ball (counting Thomas at PR). Surely, we can win at least 7 games. Hail State!

vCash
    Retention primarily. Some on the portal. Not focusing on paying HS kids because we don't have that kind of money.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by confucius say View Post
    Retention primarily. Some on the portal. Not focusing on paying HS kids because we don't have that kind of money.
    I don't think we will have that many kids that are worth paying big bucks for on the retention market. We have plenty of covid seniors and regular seniors that will be out of eligibility.

Senior Member SpaceWranglerDawg's Avatar
    vCash
    I was told that it was pretty "non existent" compared to other schools around us (was told the same about Ole Miss if it makes you feel any better). They are scrambling to get people to cough up some cash and not having a lot of success in doing so.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaceWranglerDawg View Post
    I was told that it was pretty "non existent" compared to other schools around us (was told the same about Ole Miss if it makes you feel any better). They are scrambling to get people to cough up some cash and not having a lot of success in doing so.
    this just isn't accurate. Do we have a&m money? No. But we are coming along.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HancockCountyDog View Post
    I don't think we will have that many kids that are worth paying big bucks for on the retention market. We have plenty of covid seniors and regular seniors that will be out of eligibility.
    We had a bunch after the 2022 season though.

Should be much less after 2023. Will spend more on the portal.

Senior Member SpaceWranglerDawg's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    this just isn't accurate. Do we have a&m money? No. But we are coming along.
    I sincerely hope that you are right, and have been information than I do. Which is totally possible. Most info that I gather comes from 3 families, so i by no means have the entire picture.

Based on what you know, where would we be in the pecking order of SEC teams and who would be below us?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaceWranglerDawg View Post
    I sincerely hope that you are right, and have been information than I do. Which is totally possible. Most info that I gather comes from 3 families, so i by no means have the entire picture.

Based on what you know, where would we be in the pecking order of SEC teams and who would be below us?
    I can't give that an honest answer. I do believe we will be in a position to compete w our peers. Heck, we kept Tolu, that was no small task.