Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NIL Talk

Bennie Brown Know-It-All
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    yep. Our NIL is mostly spent on keeping players- not bringing in new ones. Good strategy with limited funds
    It's a good strategy until you don't have any good players to keep because you didn't buy them up front out of high school.

Senior Member SpaceWranglerDawg's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    I can't give that an honest answer. I do believe we will be in a position to compete w our peers. Heck, we kept Tolu, that was no small task.
    Valid point.

But I can answer that question...it's no one. We are at the bottom of the list, at this point in time. Realistically, we're a very small school.

From the conversations that I've had, Mississippi State does not have the numbers to be competitive from a dollar to dollar point of view. We will never be able to compete on that level.

That being said, the Yankees haven't won a world series in a while, so there's a lot more than just buying the players.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaceWranglerDawg View Post
    Valid point.

But I can answer that question...it's no one. We are at the bottom of the list, at this point in time. Realistically, we're a very small school.

From the conversations that I've had, Mississippi State does not have the numbers to be competitive from a dollar to dollar point of view. We will never be able to compete on that level.

That being said, the Yankees haven't won a world series in a while, so there's a lot more than just buying the players.
    Ok so if you know everything why did you ask me? It's clear you have no idea how much we have or have committed.....And if you mean being at Alabama ga lsu levels then no we won't. That's not new.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarius View Post
    It's a good strategy until you don't have any good players to keep because you didn't buy them up front out of high school.
    We have and will use nil to get players. Just part of it going forward. But we won't be ole miss saying it...

vCash
    We have and will use nil to get players. Just part of it going forward. But we won't be ole miss saying it...
    This is a great statement.

vCash
    Heck, we kept Tolu, that was no small task.
    That was a huge NIL win.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarius View Post
    And we're not losing all the top MS players to Bama, LSU, or Auburn....we're losing "em to OM, stud guys on D, no less.

If this is our current trend, the outlook is ****ED.

vCash
    Valid point.

Nobody knows what other initiatives really have and where we are in the standings. The most accurate statement anyone can make is we are somewhere in the bottom tier for football but men's basketball and baseball is very competitive if not top half of the league. Football is getting better but a long way to go to catch up. Anyone making a definite claim we are last in the league is just making it up and not considering Vandy. Charlie and a select few inside that circle actually know what we have.

vCash
    Valid point.

Yankees haven't tried to buy a World Series since George Steinbrenner died. If they still operated that way Bryce Harper, Manny Machado, Carlos Correa, and Justin Verlander would all be on the team.
    "We will have no problem in handling Kentucky."-Turfdawg67. MSU suffered a 27-17 defeat in 2022 with 225 yards in total offense.

vCash
    Rumor from a connected friend of mine is that if you donate $25K or more to NIL, you get inside information. I don't know anyone in that type position to verify this. Maybe one of you can. Hail State!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldendawg View Post
    Rumor from a connected friend of mine is that if you donate $25K or more to NIL, you get inside information. I don't know anyone in that type position to verify this. Maybe one of you can. Hail State!

This has been discussed on this board multiple times and it is verified

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldendawg View Post
    He probably read it on this board bc someone just posted that yesterday or tdb, lol

Senior Member SpaceWranglerDawg's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msu15 View Post
    Yankees haven't tried to buy a World Series since George Steinbrenner died. If they still operated that way Bryce Harper, Manny Machado, Carlos Correa, and Justin Verlander would all be on the team.
    I was just referencing the payroll.
    Last edited by SpaceWranglerDawg; 05-25-2023 at 08:39 AM.

vCash
    What most people don't realize is that there is no "right way" of dealing with NIL and getting players. Here is why - No one knows what actually works. Look at A&M. Go back and look at their number 1 class from 2022 (I think) and see how many of those kids have already left. How much money did that cost them? How many wins did it get them?

Sure there are a few schools out there that they can throw away 5-10 million in NIL money and not blink an eye. We aren't one of those schools and the bears aren't either.

This is all so new that no one knows what will actually work. UGA used NIL money to keep their roster intact, but most of the guys that carried them to a title signed pre NIL money and it was just old school cheating.

All i know is that if you go back and look at schools that are in the same position as us NIL wise and look at their recruiting classes the last few years and really look to see who is still on that campus, I think you would be stunned.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HancockCountyDog View Post
    What most people don't realize is that there is no "right way" of dealing with NIL and getting players. Here is why - No one knows what actually works... This is all so new that no one knows what will actually work.
    Not to be pedantic but there IS a "right way" to do it. The fact we don't have enough data to statistically probe what the "right way" is doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

There's multiple "right ways" to do it depending on how much money you have. The best way for UGA will be different from the best strategy we could have. But there's still a "right way" for both of us

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by the_real_MSU_is_us View Post
    Not to be pedantic but there IS a "right way" to do it. The fact we don't have enough data to statistically probe what the "right way" is doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

There's multiple "right ways" to do it depending on how much money you have. The best way for UGA will be different from the best strategy we could have. But there's still a "right way" for both of us
    To a degree, this is true. But, the definite "right way" to do NIL is to not have your head in the sand hoping it will go away. Cohen, and I think to a degree Lemonis and Leach, seemed to have done that and it has bitten us in the ass.
    I know straight from a high level UGA donor that Kirby mentions NIL and how important it is at every single donor function and that the AD staff constantly stresses it and approaches them about opportunities. We have to be doing that as well - even if our methods and amounts of giving are different.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18