Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Because it is now time for Football

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Really Clark? View Post
    Take away all the defensive and special team scores. Those numbers look a lot closer in SEC play in 2009 and 2022 when you do that. We lead the league in that last year.
    That assumes we would not have scored on offense had the special teams or defense not scored though. Football is sequential.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarius View Post
    That offense averaged virtually the same offensive scoring output in SEC play in year 1 with nothing but Croom recruits that Leach’s offense gave us in year 3. That 2009 team also faced the #2 SOS in the country, where last year we had the #24 post season SOS.
    I would take 2009 RB (nfl guy) and OL (first round tackle and guys that could run block) over what we have now for the offense we are about to run. Hopefully will can make up the difference.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by confucius say View Post
    It's not the mental side from the OL I worry about. It's the physical side.
    With our head coach I ain't really worried about that. If our team takes on that demeanor we'll be hell to deal with.

Bennie Brown Know-It-All
    vCash
    I would take 2009 RB (nfl guy) and OL (first round tackle and guys that could run block) over what we have now for the offense we are about to run. Hopefully will can make up the difference.
    No offense with Tyson Lee should be better than any offense with Will Rogers, and I'm not a Will Rogers hype guy as everyone knows. That's a very large difference in the most important position on the field. Our OL has a whole bunch of older guys on it, many which were signed to play in a Moorhead scheme or have played in other balanced schemes prior to MSU. The 2023 WR room is also much better than the 09 room.

vCash
    That assumes we would not have scored on offense had the special teams or defense not scored though. Football is sequential.
    You don't have to assume after the fact and with us leading the league in defensive and ST scores. We also have the facts of an offense that stalled during significant portions of games. If you go that route, then the defense also had to shoulder more than their share of possessions during games, with limited rest that effected their overall performance and stats.

vCash
    The Pick 6's and punt return TD's simply arent offense. We proved vs Kentucky and Georgia we werent going to score anymore offensively
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    The Pick 6's and punt return TD's simply arent offense. We proved vs Kentucky and Georgia we werent going to score anymore offensively
    I agree. But you can't say the same about vs Aggie or special teams giving away possessions against lsu. Plus we had non offensive td in sec games in 2009 too.

vCash
    You don't have to assume after the fact and with us leading the league in defensive and ST scores. We also have the facts of an offense that stalled during significant portions of games. If you go that route, then the defense also had to shoulder more than their share of possessions during games, with limited rest that effected their overall performance and stats.
    I agree. It's sequential. Our offense put our defense in bad situations. The defense and special teams also squandered possessions for our offense, albeit not as often. LSU comes to mind.

vCash
    No offense with Tyson Lee should be better than any offense with Will Rogers, and I'm not a Will Rogers hype guy as everyone knows. That's a very large difference in the most important position on the field. Our OL has a whole bunch of older guys on it, many which were signed to play in a Moorhead scheme or have played in other balanced schemes prior to MSU. The 2023 WR room is also much better than the 09 room.
    I agree with all of that except the last sentence. I don't think our top 5-6 WR/TE will be much better than the 2009 top 5/6 from a talent standpoint.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Our running backs- or more or less their durability- is a bigger issue than many want to admit.

We're going to have to throw the ball to maximize the players that we currently have. If Barbay is hard headed and demands that we establish the run with this group it's simply not going to maximize our talent. The fact that we threw it more with Will in during the spring game was encouraging to me though.

But I'll be perfectly honest- I'm not worried about our offense this year. 2024 though is another matter.

People should be a little more concerned about our defense too. The secondary is a huge question mark.
    We gonna run the ball with some other guys too. You saw it in the spring game a few plays for big yardage - one long TD even.

We got some good backs - Marks, Price, Davis and Pittman. That is a good group. We'll be fine.

vCash
    We have 5 RB's now with the transfer Lee coming in.
    We wont keep all 5 for long

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckyIsAB**** View Post
    How's that?

Bennie Brown Know-It-All
    vCash
    I agree with all of that except the last sentence. I don't think our top 5-6 WR/TE will be much better than the 2009 top 5/6 from a talent standpoint.
    I don't agree with that at all. Most of that WR room in 09 was extremely young. You had Leon Berry and then a bunch of young guys not ready to play as much as they had to play.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckyIsAB**** View Post
    As of right now we have 5 not 4. I expect we keep them through fall. I don't see Price not playing through the fall to hit the next portal window in December, if he does decide to transfer.

vCash
    I don't agree with that at all. Most of that WR room in 09 was extremely young. You had Leon Berry and then a bunch of young guys not ready to play as much as they had to play.
    Bumphis and heavens and Chris smith were young. McRae and berry were old. Marcus green was a 3rd year guy and way more proven than any TE we have now.
    I agree this group is better, but not much better. None of them are impact guys or have sniffed all sec despite us throwing the ball 50 times a game. I hope Zavion and creed can be impact guys.

Bennie Brown Know-It-All
    vCash
    Bumphis and heavens and Chris smith were young. McRae and berry were old. Marcus green was a 3rd year guy and way more proven than any TE we have now.
    I agree this group is better, but not much better. None of them are impact guys or have sniffed all sec despite us throwing the ball 50 times a game. I hope Zavion and creed can be impact guys.
    McRae was basically a nonfactor after his injury. He would not play on this team. Heavens washed out. Chris Smith did almost nothing as a freshman. This group is ten times better than that one. Now, when bump and smith grew up they made the group better but as true freshman they were not ready to play as much as they had to play. The is really isn’t saying our current group is all world. The 09 receiver room was just very bad by SEC standards. There were some players on the 09 team that ended up being pretty good, but in that particular year they were not.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RiverCityDawg View Post
    How's that?
    One will leave by the end of the year or at the end of it. I hope they all stay personally but sadly its the way it is now