Thread: Question about SS and 3B fielding

vCash

Question about SS and 3B fielding

When it comes to SS and 3B, how much of it is repetition and how much is mental? Is the throw more mental than the fielding aspect?

As bad as our fielding % was this year, I'd say 4 of 5 completed plays was an off line throw that required the 1B to stretch or scoop.

vCash
    Simple throw to first base from the left side of our infield was inexplicably bad this year. At time I thought Alford was trying to make a play look harder than it was, resulting in a bad throw. At other times, there was no reason for it. I was expecting Alford to be our surprise player this year - didn?t happen. We need a new player at 3rd next year. JMHO.

vCash
    I don't believe i ever saw him make a standard step and throw to first. If he managed to ever field the ball, there was a spin or sidearm flick over to "first".

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldogcountry1 View Post
    I don't believe i ever saw him make a standard step and throw to first. If he managed to ever field the ball, there was a spin or sidearm flick over to "first".
    I kept saying this. He would rather look cool slinging it sidearm than make an easy step and throw.

vCash
    Beating a dead horse on the evaluation thing, but I remember hearing how good he was defensively. Once again, we may have a bunch of “practice stars” and they are fooling the coaching staff.

vCash
    Simple-

Alford just isnt very good defensively and is a jackass. He needs to go play 1st base at Georgia Southern
    Foreskin let the errors get to his head and he is mentally weak. So it snowballed on him. He needs to go to Delta State and he will enjoy the rest of his college career so much more
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    Simple-

Alford just isnt very good defensively and is a jackass. He needs to go play 1st base at Georgia Southern
    Foreskin let the errors get to his head and he is mentally weak. So it snowballed on him. He needs to go to Delta State and he will enjoy the rest of his college career so much more
    I don't know if he can play for Okra. If Kinnison was still HC, he certainly wouldn't.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    Simple-

I knew he was done when he let one go under his glove into centerfield and watched Ledbetter run in and pick it up. He didn't even jog after it. If Ledbetter turned an ankle running in then a single becomes a double or triple.

vCash
    Need to go look for a true SS. Sure Mershon can play the position but he is better suited to play 2nd. Cup maybe that guy to play SS but I would look in the portal for next year.

vCash
    most of it is the initial footwork that has been a bit flawed at SS and 3rd. Proper footwork results in having a few tenths of a second longer to gather and then throw.