Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Buy or Sell Cintje

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    Our problem has been getting too many guys like that. Holcombe's big country ass is another. Power arm with potential. Loftin walked too many this year but didnt give up many hits. These guys have been having to throw too many innings in Y1 of SEC ball. And Loftin didnt even finish the season. But those 3 should have good Soph seasons if healthy and coached.
    Loftin?s arm was in a sling in the dugout

What is the story on that?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by the_real_MSU_is_us View Post
    And Loo has a great arm, fights on the mound, seems to support his teammates, and hasn't had any decent coaching yet.

You can't simultaneously say "other SEC programs will offer him decent NIL money" and "we should t care if he leaves". Unless you're saying we're so loaded at pitching that we can afford to dump our projects, but that's obviously not the case.

I mean if we're down to our last NIL dollar and are deciding between Loo or a surefire stud from the portal yeah, let's get the stud, but I doubt that'll happen. I mean we have NIL to Hancock and Stinnett, surely Loo will make the list of guys to keep
    I'm talking generically. I don't know these players personally up close. What we are talking is "buy or sell ". I say definitely keep. But if it's a question of money, you have to compare production to price. That's all.

Even in pre-NIL time, I think MSU had to "renegotiate" Graham Ascrafts slice of the 11.7 and he transferred as a result. If Ascraft was BJ Wallace in production, he gets 1 of 11.7, but he wasn't. Nor did he show promise of being that productive. I think he was a 97/98 mph pitcher.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sandjunky View Post
    Loftin?s arm was in a sling in the dugout

What is the story on that?
    a little clean up. He'll be fine for the Fall. Summer off will probably be great for him
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    Stick to grilling and making cheese dip for games. Loo has some great tools on the mound. He's just learning how to pitch
    Yeah a kid that is a weekend starter in the SEC as a freshman... and has obviously hit his freshman wall. These are some ridiculous takes.

vCash
    Ok. So say we let the Fr who throws 97 right handed and 95 left handed and has never had real pitching walk because he's not CURRENTLY a stud.

Who so you replace him with? You know of a 97mph stud we can replace him with? Personally I'd rather use the new stud to replace one of our non-SEC arms
    This is one of the issues. The whole post talks about velocity. It talks about our freshman who throws 97 and 95. It talks about replacing him with someone who throw 97. It never mentions ?can our player, or the replacement, actually pitch and get people out?. Folks would rather have a guy who throw 98 with an ERA of 9.00, over one that throws 89 with an ERA of 2.25. It?s all about velocity today.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by somebodyshotmypaw View Post
    This is one of the issues. The whole post talks about velocity. It talks about our freshman who throws 97 and 95. It talks about replacing him with someone who throw 97. It never mentions ?can our player, or the replacement, actually pitch and get people out?. Folks would rather have a guy who throw 98 with an ERA of 9.00, over one that throws 89 with an ERA of 2.25. It?s all about velocity today.
    It's not ALL about velo, but velo is very important when it comes to how good a pitcher can be. Like a offensive tackle needs to be tall with quick feet, or a Power Forward needs to be taller than the point guard. You still need to know how to block a DE or make a move in the paint, but without the measurable you can't be elite

For pitchers, obviously I'd rather have the 89 guy with the low ERA. But not many 89 guys have a low era. Take Skenes- lower that velo 8 mph and he wouldn't be the stud he is

vCash
    It's not ALL about velo, but velo is very important when it comes to how good a pitcher can be. Like a offensive tackle needs to be tall with quick feet, or a Power Forward needs to be taller than the point guard. You still need to know how to block a DE or make a move in the paint, but without the measurable you can't be elite

For pitchers, obviously I'd rather have the 89 guy with the low ERA. But not many 89 guys have a low era. Take Skenes- lower that velo 8 mph and he wouldn't be the stud he is
    Extremely fair point. But I wouldn’t want Greg Maddux if he raised his velocity by 4 mph by overthrowing, resulting in an injury or total lack of control which results in 5 walks per inning. The name of the game on the mound is not velocity. It’s getting people out and preventing them from scoring.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Really Clark? View Post
    You can spout irrelevant crap all you want, he didn't lose the team. They played liked crap, he didn't develop, missed evaluations, etc. all are true but he didn't lose the locker room.
    And you KNOW this how? Or is this a classified, eyes-only, need-to-know secret??

vCash
    Loo just tweeted out Hail State. I don?t think he?s leaving? not yet anyway.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by somebodyshotmypaw View Post
    Extremely fair point. But I wouldn’t want Greg Maddux if he raised his velocity by 4 mph by overthrowing, resulting in an injury or total lack of control which results in 5 walks per inning. The name of the game on the mound is not velocity. It’s getting people out and preventing them from scoring.
    I don't disagree, but it's math. For every 1 slow throwing Maddox, there's 99 slow throwers that get shelled. For every 1 hard thrower with good numbers there's 4 hard throwers that never figured out how to pitch, and 5 hard throwers that got injured. Therefore, the MLB drafts 10 hard throwers to get 1 to pan out vs 100 slow throwers to get 1 to pan out.

It's like a short slow WR. Yeah he might have great hands or clean routes or block pretty good, but his ceiling is capped. His taller faster teammate still needs to catch the ball, run good routes, and block, but we all know which guy out of HS we'd rather sign. I understand baseball has the smaller roster limits and that makes taking "developmental" players more of a risk, but fundamentally it's the same concept to taking a raw athlete in football and coaching them up