A few weeks ago I made mention in a post that our chase team was working on an idea that we think would dramatically improve tornado warning information. Well this weekend or Monday that plan kicks into action and we would love your support. A member of our team had an idea that he shared with a couple of us and we tweaked it slightly to what I'm presenting now. Our idea is to place cameras on cell towers in places across the state with poor radar coverage with access granted to the NWS and local news agencies. These cameras will serve as remote tower cams allowing them to obtain real time storm information on whether or not a tornado has formed. In places with poor radar coverage a lower end tornado can be n the ground but radar is unable to see the debris signature. So while strong enough to flip a mobile home or bring a tree down on a house, not strong enough to loft debris high enough to get into the radar beam to be seen.

I have drafted a letter that will be sent to our governor, Lt. governor, and a handful of state senators asking them to consider legislation to fund 100 cameras to be placed in those parts of the state with poor radar coverage. Initial cost projections point to this being possible for $75,000 the first year and $45,000 in following years. This does not include the cost of installing the cameras as I had no idea what that would cost. Next week I am asking if you would contact your local senator and representatives to obtain a copy of this letter and to support legislation to make this a reality. Research has shown people are 75% more likely to take shelter if they know a tornado has actually formed. If we can get real-time info to those that issue warnings it could help save lives.