Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Kendall Rogers weighs in on Lemon

vCash
    He is coming back for 2024

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgface View Post
    Agree. What makes the guys think we will have a better chance to hire a big name next year?
    Because apparently after 2 years of some of the worst baseball in MSU history no decent coach will consider us because of Lemonis winning the '21 NC. But if we get a 3rd year of horrendous baseball then they will all line up to interview. I am sort of torn about what we should do but this one point I don't get. Heck, we forced out Moorhead after 2 straight bowl years but we are worried about changing coaches here after missing Hoover 2 straight years? Lemonis did get his first two teams to Omaha but those teams were pretty much built before he got here. He just managed them. And letting a coach go at the end of the season will almost always mean waiting for some other coach to finish their season. That will be true now or if we are in this same boat next year.

We are just in a terrible, terrible position because there has never been a college baseball coach so successful his first 2 years followed up by being anywhere close to this unsuccessful his next 2 years. If the last 2 seasons had been just mediocre then Lemonis would be back no question asked, but are we willing to risk a 3rd straight embarrassing season if we let him stay? Of course we could get another really bad year next year regardless of what we do given the current state of things.

vCash
    I doubt doubt that we as a program can be in the hosting discussion in 2024. But I do doubt that we will be if Lemonis is our head coach. Any good coach should be able to win with our talent, resources, and fanbase. Lemonis has demonstrated that he can't anymore.

The idea that "well we can't make a change because who knows if we can get a guy the fanbase will be happy with!" is a bad argument, because we already have a coach that most of the fanbase isn't happy with. And even if the fanbase is underwhelmed by the hire, everyone will be happy once he gets here and starts winning (ironic case in point, just like Chris Lemonis, an underwhelming hire who turned out to be better than many of us expected).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maroonmania View Post
    Of course we could get another really bad year next year regardless of what we do given the current state of things.
    We could, but I think our probabilities of making Hoover, making a Regional, and hosting a Regional are all a lot higher if we make a change than if we keep Lemonis, and I'm honestly baffled at the idea that some posters here disagree.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Quaoarsking View Post
    We could, but I think our probabilities of making Hoover, making a Regional, and hosting a Regional are all a lot higher if we make a change than if we keep Lemonis, and I'm honestly baffled at the idea that some posters here disagree.
    I dont get the reasoning. Firing Lemon will immediately put good players in the portal and blow up a recruiting class. A new coach will be starting over
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    I dont get the reasoning. Firing Lemon will immediately put good players in the portal and blow up a recruiting class. A new coach will be starting over
    The portal is a major "thing" regardless. The new coach can get players from the portal too, and try to coax the current players back. I suspect we'll see players jumping in the portal if Lemonis stays too.

vCash
    With this line of reasoning we will never get a new coach.

vCash
    Let's just be bad forever because we might be bad if we tried to get better.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgface View Post
    With this line of reasoning we will never get a new coach.
    We've been losing for 2 years because of pitching. Decimated by injuries in 2022. Hurt by them in 2023 along with some bad decisions on transfers. Losing Cade for a month. Losing Kohn. Keeping PFS. Having to pitch freshmen too often is why we arent in Hoover. We have decided to switch PC's. We have a solid group returning and need to find 2-3 contributors on the hill and should have a good staff in 2024.

Look at LSU. They are Skenes and that's it now due to injuries. I dont think they make it out of a Super and could lose their regional if a team with some decent pitching depth is in it. They burn Skenes in Game 1 of their Regional and I like the 2 seed chances against them
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    So you would only fire Lemonis if his recruiting class for next year falls apart? So if we have roughly the same results next year then why change then if he has another good recruiting class set up?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Quaoarsking View Post
    The portal is a major "thing" regardless. The new coach can get players from the portal too, and try to coax the current players back. I suspect we'll see players jumping in the portal if Lemonis stays too.
    Not sure about jumping, but several are about to be pushed into it when it opens