Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's the temperature of State's NIL?

vCash

What's the temperature of State's NIL?

Charlie typically is pretty upbeat and diplomatic about the NIL situation, but how are things really going? Are any of the big donors really buying in to the importance of the NIL?

I feel like the "old money" guys aren't going to be the type that would want to support the NIL situation. I can't say that I blame them, but I also see the writing on the wall.

vCash
    I'm a member of the Bulldog Initiative and give monthly. I no longer give to the Bulldog Club. Whether we like it or not, the NIL is where the money needs to go.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gtowndawg View Post
    I'm a member of the Bulldog Initiative and give monthly. I no longer give to the Bulldog Club. Whether we like it or not, the NIL is where the money needs to go.
    This should be the attitude of every person that donates to MSU athletics! We get plenty of money (that we can't use for NIL) from tv contracts, ticket sales, etc. to pay coaches, update facilities, etc

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripp McNeely View Post
    This should be the attitude of every person that donates to MSU athletics! We get plenty of money (that we can't use for NIL) from tv contracts, ticket sales, etc. to pay coaches, update facilities, etc
    I agree. And as a fan base we have too many people expecting the "cigar boys" to take care of our problems. We have an army, literally an army of fans, that can easily give $10 a month. That would be a PILE of money if people would just sign up. It's easy. Put a card in at the Bulldog Initiative site and they hit your card once a month. It's as easy as it gets.

Senior Member SpaceWranglerDawg's Avatar
    vCash
    I know one of the bigger donor families (friend of mine is my daughter's Godfather, so we have an actual relationship...not some cousins friends coworker deal) told me they as a family believe the NIL is ridiculous and it sound like they don't have interest in donating.

Not sure if that is the general consensus among people, but it's not something that people seem excited about.

Question, are NIL donations tax deductible? A lot big donors give solely for the tax break.

It tough, specifically in this economy. I'm work in healthcare and my wife is an attorney, so we'd be on the upper end of family income in the state, and it's hard for us to justify donating to an unknown cause.

We will struggle as a fanbase and university to compete as long as the system is under it's current set up. State would for sure be dead last in donations from what it looks like...there's not one school that we should be able to donate more than....we're soooo much smaller than most.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaceWranglerDawg View Post
    I know one of the bigger donor families (friend of mine is my daughter's Godfather, so we have an actual relationship...not some cousins friends coworker deal) told me they as a family believe the NIL is ridiculous and it sound like they don't have interest in donating.

Not sure if that is the general consensus among people, but it's not something that people seem excited about.

Question, are NIL donations tax deductible? A lot big donors give solely for the tax break.

It tough, specifically in this economy. I'm work in healthcare and my wife is an attorney, so we'd be on the upper end of family income in the state, and it's hard for us to justify donating to an unknown cause.

We will struggle as a fanbase and university to compete as long as the system is under it's current set up. State would for sure be dead last in donations from what it looks like...there's not one school that we should be able to donate more than....we're soooo much smaller than most.
    "On the advice of legal experts and financial advisors, our organization is structured as a Mississippi limited liability company. Given this structure, payments are not tax-deductible nor considered a charitable donation. We do, however, work with business owners and their tax professionals to create marketing programming that would allow them to consider claiming their investments as a marketing expense. We recognize the importance of accommodating charitable giving to support The Bulldog Initiative, and we are in the process of examining a 501c3 charitable component."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripp McNeely View Post
    If it happens the athletic program will take a big hit. The Bulldog Club still matters. NIL does too but if this becomes an either or thing then it's going to be terrible for the athletic program. https://msubulldogclub.com/sports/2017/9/7/mission

vCash
    For consideration, the argument can be made to "pay now (NIL)" to compete on the field immediately or "pay later (coaching buy-outs)" due to non-competitive results costing the coaches their jobs.

If Lem and his staff are at a $6M total buy-out (that's the pay later) vs utilizing that $6M to fund the NIL collective and immediately be competitive in all sports. Regardless, it seems the donors contribute at some point in time.

vCash
    My son graduated from State last Friday morning. He got a lapel pin (MState, of course) and a card from the Alumni Association that stated he is now one of over 155,00 alumni worldwide. Some are not sports fans, but that also does not include State fans from all walks of life. I'm not one to tell others how to send their $, but all contributions to all areas supporting MSU are important. Fund raising is supposed to be AD Selmon's strong suit. Maybe things can improve. Hail State!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Liverpooldawg View Post
    If it happens the athletic program will take a big hit. The Bulldog Club still matters. NIL does too but if this becomes an either or thing then it's going to be terrible for the athletic program. https://msubulldogclub.com/sports/2017/9/7/mission
    Athletic budget keeps going up and Bulldog Club funds are used to pay for the same things that can be paid out of the athletic budget. No university funds can be used for NIL though so that should be funded first if we want to compete. If money is left over for your giving then yea, give to the Bulldog Club as well. NIL in its current form is totally ridiculous but also totally necessary if we want to have the players needed to compete in the SEC. At this point I would say you should either support NIL or you should just go ahead and disengage yourself from big time college sports.

vCash
    Little perspective (even as a reminder for myself) but in the grand scheme of things the Bulldog Initiative is just a baby. I remember when my grandfather was in the Bulldog Club in the mid-eighties, they would print the members' names in a game day program. Like once a year or something like that? The point being the Bulldog Club was so small they could put the members' names on a half-page. Now there are probably 15,000 members? The Bulldog Initiative will get there.

vCash
    The implication has been that Ole Miss has more cigar boys WILLING TO SUPPORT ATHLETICS than we do.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maroonmania View Post
    Athletic budget keeps going up and Bulldog Club funds are used to pay for the same things that can be paid out of the athletic budget. No university funds can be used for NIL though so that should be funded first if we want to compete. If money is left over for your giving then yea, give to the Bulldog Club as well. NIL in its current form is totally ridiculous but also totally necessary if we want to have the players needed to compete in the SEC. At this point I would say you should either support NIL or you should just go ahead and disengage yourself from big time college sports.
    You do know that Bulldog Club money is a big part of the athletic budget right? It can't be turned into an either or thing or the athletic program will suffer.
    Last edited by Liverpooldawg; 05-17-2023 at 04:35 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maroonmania View Post

Anecdotally seems this is happening already and likely will escalate if this new model is not arrested and changed.

vCash
    I imagine Top 10 in NCAA Baseball and WBB.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by EdwardDrayton View Post
    [/B]

Anecdotally seems this is happening already and likely will escalate if this new model is not arrested and changed.
    I’ve talked to a lot…A LOT…of people that no longer follow college sports. I still enjoy it immensely but I’m not nearly as invested in it personally or financially as I once was. Hard to get excited about folks who are getting paid to do a job. Kind of like NFL to me now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgology View Post
    I’ve talked to a lot…A LOT…of people that no longer follow college sports. I still enjoy it immensely but I’m not nearly as invested in it personally or financially as I once was. Hard to get excited about folks who are getting paid to do a job. Kind of like NFL to me now.
    Think a lot of us already are in this space.

vCash
    If Brylie St Clair is hot, our NIL is Beth Mowins

vCash
    NIL went from athletes wanting to be able to make money for autographs, etc. to middle class fans being expected to pay for players. Screw that

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by EdwardDrayton View Post
    Think a lot of us already are in this space.
    A lot