Thread: 2023 baseball draft

vCash

2023 baseball draft

I notice that Mikhai Grant, rhp out of GA isn?t listed anywhere on any draft lists. If I remember correctly, we were worrying about losing him to pro ball. This is a surprising development I guess.

It looks like the only signee that we will definitely lose is SS Colin Houck out of GA., he should go 1st round. SS Dylan Cupp out of GA who started on the USA team is in the 110 range which is a decent drop from previous rankings. He should likely make it to campus.

What/Who am i missing?

vCash
    Grant most likely going pro.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    Grant most likely going pro.
    Not a wise choice for him unless his family has something going on that I don't know about.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Not a wise choice for him unless his family has something going on that I don't know about.
    Unless something is wonky with these lists, it would be very late. I looked at 3 different lists, with one going up to 400 and I didn’t see him on any of those. He may just not want to go to school?

vCash
    College isn't for everyone. Not sure if that's his case or not. It it's a true statement

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AlSwearengen View Post
    Unless something is wonky with these lists, it would be very late. I looked at 3 different lists, with one going up to 400 and I didn’t see him on any of those. He may just not want to go to school?
    Coaches need to manage the risk - better go find a flip to replace the player.

Bama's recruiting class is fair game. Bama have 3 top-100 players and 8 top-200 players committed. Get them before does. It's not like Lemons will be busy coaching in June. Lemonis can tell the kids, "Coach Bohanon thinks MSU is the ultimate Baseball school, wanted Bama to be like MSU, but he is gone."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Federalist Engineer View Post

Bama's recruiting class is fair game. Bama have 3 top-100 players and 8 top-200 players committed. Get them before does. It's not like Lemons will be busy coaching in June. Lemonis can tell the kids, "Coach Bohanon thinks MSU is the ultimate Baseball school, wanted Bama to be like MSU, but he is gone."
    As long as he doesn't say "I'm betting coach Bohannon would want you to go to MSU now".

vCash

It's not that simple. Scholarship money is allotted. And will have to play chess w the transfer portal. Not saying we/ nobody goes after them. But it's not as simple as go after them all. We have a really big class coming in.

vCash
    100% correct thought on bama?s recruits

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    It's not that simple. Scholarship money is allotted. And will have to play chess w the transfer portal. Not saying we/ nobody goes after them. But it's not as simple as go after them all. We have a really big class coming in.
    Understood, but doesn't fall ball settle who makes the team? When it comes to pitchers. MSU may not have 5 absolutely healthy and/or SEC-Caliber pitchers going to 2023. Barely can staff for a weekend these days.

Assuming Cade, Gartman (maybe not), and Nixon go pro. Hunt and Stinnett graduate. That leaves (1) Dohm, (2) Holcombe, (3) Cijntje, and (4) Loftin for SEC work. There are not enough SWAC games for the rest of the cats. I do expect 1 or 2 of the four 2022-Freshmen to make a leap, but that's a crap shoot these days. Butch's kids used to make leaps, we have not seen many leapers with Fox players. We have generally seen players regress horribly to double digit ERAs.

vCash
    College isn't for everyone. Not sure if that's his case or not. It it's a true statement
    It isn't. But it is for the majority.

But for the people that aren't college bound or phenoms I think it would be cool if MLB had developmental leagues made up of first responders and military personnel up to a certain age. That way kids that don't go to college will have an avenue to get job skills and still develop as players.

vCash
    Understood, but doesn't fall ball settle who makes the team? When it comes to pitchers. MSU may not have 5 absolutely healthy and/or SEC-Caliber pitchers going to 2023. Barely can staff for a weekend these days.

Assuming Cade, Gartman (maybe not), and Nixon go pro. Hunt and Stinnett graduate. That leaves (1) Dohm, (2) Holcombe, (3) Cijntje, and (4) Loftin for SEC work. There are not enough SWAC games for the rest of the cats. I do expect 1 or 2 of the four 2022-Freshmen to make a leap, but that's a crap shoot these days. Butch's kids used to make leaps, we have not seen many leapers with Fox players. We have generally seen players regress horribly to double digit ERAs.
    Don't forget Siary, Gibbs, Tapper, and Logan Forsythe. We should also get Simmons and Auger back as well.

I think our guys can make a big jump with some coaching.

We also have a couple of JUCO prospects that I think can help- Will Passeau and Cam Shuelke. Shuelke dominated the Cape Cod League and I think he is an instant impact guy for the bullpen. Passeau will compete for a rotation spot or a spot in the bullpen.

vCash
    Don't forget Siary, Gibbs, Tapper, and Logan Forsythe. We should also get Simmons and Auger back as well.

I think our guys can make a big jump with some coaching.

That's the big wild card. Can our current roster pitchers be coached up? I think most of our fans (myself included) have written off a lot of these guys, but you have to think a new PC will make some big strides.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldogcountry1 View Post
    That's the big wild card. Can our current roster pitchers be coached up? I think most of our fans (myself included) have written off a lot of these guys, but you have to think a new PC will make some big strides.
    Not under this staff

vCash

It doesn't settle those that are in scholarship. The 11.7 guys are set prior to the fall. The rest are battling for the non aid spots.

vCash
    It doesn't settle those that are in scholarship. The 11.7 guys are set prior to the fall. The rest are battling for the non aid spots.
    Doesn't NIL essentially negate the 11.7?

Not looking to debate how much money we have to throw around, but if a player qualified for an academic scholarship and then received NIL - why does the partial athletic even matter?

Many different ways to improve the roster without impacting the 11.7, or is my thought process wrong?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Gutter Cobreh View Post
    Doesn't NIL essentially negate the 11.7?

Not looking to debate how much money we have to throw around, but if a player qualified for an academic scholarship and then received NIL - why does the partial athletic even matter?

Many different ways to improve the roster without impacting the 11.7, or is my thought process wrong?
    Nil just adds to it. When a full ride is worth 30k plus a year it matters. Especially w a roster of 35. Which is getting bigger next year.

vCash
    Nil just adds to it. When a full ride is worth 30k plus a year it matters. Especially w a roster of 35. Which is getting bigger next year.
    Are you hearing that they're going to go to 40 man rosters?

vCash
    Yes