Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Case For Gautreau

vCash

The Case For Gautreau

So I have waffled back and forth a bunch on this one so I will see what everyone else thinks about it. Back in 2018 it was basically universally agreed within the fan base that Jake was just too green to be elevated to the HC position but he would be perfect for it. The hitting has never really dropped off in the 4 years since, we are iffy situationally at times but we do not lose many games due to offense.

So saying all that, what would the reaction be if we were to promote him to HC and let him go out and find an elite PC and HC and let him run the program and run recruiting, ala Cannizarro

vCash
    That were not serious about being an elite program

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sandjunky View Post
    That were not serious about being an elite program
    So who would you get? There are 5 coaches that would tell me we are an elite program (Vitello, Corbin, O’Sullivan, McDonnell, or O’Conner). 1 of those we are already not getting. Everyone else outside of that group is a crapshoot just as much as Jake.

vCash
    First, I know nothing about baseball. From what I see, it looks like we take took too many strikes with our bats still on our shoulders, especially early in games. Bruce Castoria, one of the best hitters we've ever had, has the same opinion. What say you guys? Again, I've never played baseball and have only scant second-hand knowledge of it, but do love the game.

vCash
    Ack

vCash
    I know nothing about nothing?.even less about baseball. As a casual observer I would say it looks weak.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StarkVegasSteve View Post
    So I have waffled back and forth a bunch on this one so I will see what everyone else thinks about it. Back in 2018 it was basically universally agreed within the fan base that Jake was just too green to be elevated to the HC position but he would be perfect for it. The hitting has never really dropped off in the 4 years since, we are iffy situationally at times but we do not lose many games due to offense.

So saying all that, what would the reaction be if we were to promote him to HC and let him go out and find an elite PC and HC and let him run the program and run recruiting, ala Cannizarro
    I have watched probably 80% of our games through either in person, Maroon to the Max, or ESPN and their apps the last 10-11 years. If we promote GoTro to the Skipper position, then we are not remotely serious about being the program the new Dudy Noble Field was meant to be. Either keep Lemonhead and make him make some huge changes or burn it up and go get the best coaching staff we can afford. Promoting GoTro is loser ball.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by viverlibre View Post
    First, I know nothing about baseball. From what I see, it looks like we take took too many strikes with our bats still on our shoulders, especially early in games. Bruce Castoria, one of the best hitters we've ever had, has the same opinion. What say you guys? Again, I've never played baseball and have only scant second-hand knowledge of it, but do love the game.
    I would rather us take pitches early in the game and run the pitch count up. When Bruce played pitchers were pitching 130 pitches and pitching twice a weekend. They do not do that anymore. Most are on 85-95 pitch counts.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by viverlibre View Post
    That is the Geaut philosophy, get in their pen as soon as you can. It sounds good, but you can dig yourself a hole in the early innings and chase runs the rest of the game.
    Last edited by Leroy Jenkins; 05-13-2023 at 01:31 PM.
    Everyone wants to be a beast...until its time to do what beasts do.

vCash
    So who would you get? There are 5 coaches that would tell me we are an elite program (Vitello, Corbin, O’Sullivan, McDonnell, or O’Conner). 1 of those we are already not getting. Everyone else outside of that group is a crapshoot just as much as Jake.
    We aren't getting ANY of those

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Leroy Jenkins View Post
    That is the Geaut philosophy, get in their pen as soon as you can. It sounds good, but you waste a lot of early innings.
    Not just his though. I mean you teach patience early in the game even as most of us come up. Just how much aggression you want hitters to have on the first 2 pitches on a FB is probably the biggest variable between hitting coaches. But this is not just a Jake philosophy, not even close.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Really Clark? View Post
    Not just his though. I mean you teach patience early in the game even as most of us come up. Just how much aggression you want hitters to have on the first 2 pitches on a FB is probably the biggest variable between hitting coaches. But this is not just a Jake philosophy, not even close.
    I said it was his philosophy, I didn't say it wasn't popular or effective.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Leroy Jenkins View Post
    I said it was his philosophy, I didn't say it wasn't popular or effective.
    Gotcha. Just read it like you were saying it is just a Jake thing and more negative.

vCash
    All good. I could have worded that better. Offense is not our problem, most of the time.

vCash
    If true, and I don't know if it is, it is a losing approach. There may be a one off here and there, but as a general rule if you get fastballs over the white in advantage counts you should get off. Get your front foot down and get off.

vCash
    Starkvegas Steve and Leroy Jenkins, good explanation there, thanks for the input. Be good to have a beer with you guys and have a discussion about such topics.

What I remember about Mangum is he never met a pitch he didn't like, he swung at everything, but every hitter and every situation is different.

vCash
    I would rather us take pitches early in the game and run the pitch count up. When Bruce played pitchers were pitching 130 pitches and pitching twice a weekend. They do not do that anymore. Most are on 85-95 pitch counts.
    I wish that LSU hitter had taken the first pitch last night along with 6 to 10 others this season and run the pitch count up. Sounds good to me***

vCash
    Here's a thought. Lets hit strikes early and run starters out of games. There are very few situations I would give the take signal on 3 - 0 counts with good hitters. That next pitch should be the best pitch one can see. Swing the bat.

vCash
    I?ve watched M over S baseball since 1978. I have a homerun ball hit by Bruce Castoria that crashed thru my back windshield of my pickup truck parked in Leftfield. Had season tickets for many years. Been to Omaha 3times. In the last 10yrs followed the team pretty much every game either on tv or in person because have had multiple family friends have kids on the team.

I don?t dislike Gotro the person nor do I dislike Lemonis the person. I really wanted them to succeed here because I thought they are quality coaches and persons. But last year then carried over to this year we are a bad program and I mean really bad. This not the standard of M over S baseball. Sure we?ve had some losing seasons but nothing to this unbelievable crap show being show with these coaches. Sure they somewhat get a pass for last year due to coming off a Natty. But this year has been worse imo. Sure we may hang on to these coaches and in several years we may have a team that?s competitive. But we also may have more years of finishing last in the SEC. Tuff call! But in my opinion they all need to fired. What is going on recruiting, development and in game decisions is not there.

vCash
    Know it all ends with the HC, but who works with our fielding? We are last in the conference there also and with our pitching they get plenty of opportunities during the game.