Thread: The NCAA, Congress, and NIL

vCash

The NCAA, Congress, and NIL

Representatives from the NCAA are petitioning congress for legal protections so the NCAA can regulate NIL without being subject to lawsuits.

The commerce committee oversees NCAA matters so potentially this may work. I don't know of any other way for the NCAA to actually have any teeth if they can't be protected from legal action.
    Everyone wants to be a beast...until its time to do what beasts do.

vCash
    Please let something good happen here

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bdawg View Post
    Please let something good happen here
    Ha! You saw it said Congress, right? Guaranteed to be worse.

vCash
    funnel ca$h to the right elected official and folks can get almost any desired result.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pancho View Post
    funnel ca$h to the right elected official and folks can get almost any desired result.
    Ha, NIL for Congress!!

What a corrupt world we live

vCash
    Congress, yea right !!

vCash
    I'm just hoping they put a cap on each team/player and if that is violated then severe penalties imposed. I know..... wishful thinking but I love college sports and I'm watching it get destroyed right before my eyes.

vCash
    The only body more useless and corrupt than the NCAA is the US Congress (and Executive Branch). Can't imagine anything going wrong here. Can't wait for them to put all those brilliant minds together and "fix" it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PMDawg View Post
    The only body more useless and corrupt than the NCAA is the US Congress (and Executive Branch). Can't imagine anything going wrong here. Can't wait for them to put all those brilliant minds together and "fix" it.
    They are great at fixing problems that don't exist.
    "I'm sure the universe is full of intelligent life. It's just been too intelligent to come here." -- Arthur C. Clarke

vCash
    I don't want a cap on how much a person can earn from their brand. I just want a way to decouple that completely from the school they decide to attend. Any endorsements should be completely separate from any college affiliation. Outside of that, make as much money as you can.

vCash
    The best thing to do would be for all NIL to be routed through the school's NIL fund, and then each h conference implementing some kind of luxury tax or NIL sharing program. Also impose a "finders fee" that schools with a larger NIL cap must pay to a school when a smaller NIL fund player transfers from there, that will help fund NIL at the smaller schools.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Quaoarsking View Post
    The best thing to do would be for all NIL to be routed through the school's NIL fund, and then each h conference implementing some kind of luxury tax or NIL sharing program. Also impose a "finders fee" that schools with a larger NIL cap must pay to a school when a smaller NIL fund player transfers from there, that will help fund NIL at the smaller schools.
    No. Schools should not be involved in NIL in any way. If player X works a deal for endorsements with any company and a university is involved in any way brokering that deal, they should be ineligible on the spot.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Leroy Jenkins View Post
    No. Schools should not be involved in NIL in any way. If player X works a deal for endorsements with any company and a university is involved in any way brokering that deal, they should be ineligible on the spot.
    I disagree. This needs to be tightly regulated and shared like American professional sports. We want SEC parity like the NFL, not a permanent underclass like European soccer.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Leroy Jenkins View Post
    That would have been nice, but realistically not going to be able to unscramble that egg. I don't think Congress is going to step in to stop students from making money and trying ot prevent pay for play would do that. Optics will just be too bad for them. They might could be convinced to allow some sort of soft salary cap and luxury tax set up. I think republicans will like protecting college athletics and allowing the colleges to gain more from their brand (which realistically, drives almost all the value and they should get most of the benefit of athletic revenue) and democrats will like protecting smaller schools and redistributing money, even if they don't like limiting the money athletes can make.

Not going to happen, but my pipedream would still be to give schools an option to participate in amateur athletics. Politically, I think this would require limiting coach compensation along with athletes, which I would be fine with. Make it illegal for professional sports to prohibit 18 year olds from being drafted/playing, and then make it a major antitrust violation that subjects schools to penalties from athletes if they get caught paying players. Make the same rule apply to boosters so that other players can sue them.
    That would actually stop the pay to play and return schools to amateur athletics. Not going to happen, but would be nice if it would.

vCash
    I wouldn't expect much party or ideological cohesion on the issue. Most members of Congress don't know much about sports, and those that do may be looking to protect their favorite team, and most are going to be trying to help the most popular team in their state.

For example, I would expect Ohio's senators (1 D and 1 R) to both make sure Ohio State stays in a favorable position relative to the rest of the Big 10. I expect Mississippi's senators (both R) to be trying to make the SEC share money within itself but not with other conferences. I would expect Alabama's 2 Republicans to align more closely with Georgia's 2 Democrats than, say, Arkansas's 2 Republicans.

vCash
    This is what I think of when I think about Congress doing anything:

Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is