Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I have changed my mind, I am for keeping Lemonis

Senior Member Lord McBuckethead's Avatar
    vCash

I have changed my mind, I am for keeping Lemonis

The dude won a National Championship, two years ago. He pulled all the right strings, made all the right decisions, with great talent (granted), but he was the one that did it.

Light his ass on fire, but I do believe he has earned some time.

That is all.
    Downvotes_Hype

vCash
    Looking forward to your thoughts next Monday.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord McBuckethead View Post
    The dude won a National Championship, two years ago. He pulled all the right strings, made all the right decisions, with great talent (granted), but he was the one that did it.

That is all.
    I watched almost every game that season. I was being treated for cancer so I had plenty of time on my hands!!! Lol
    That was an amazing coaching job he did that year. We've had the talent to win it all several times but never have. He did what all the others couldn't do. Fast forward to right now....he sucks. Crazy. I like the dude and would love for him to turn it around but not sure he can.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord McBuckethead View Post

That is all.
    Gary Henderson took us to Omaha.

vCash
    I respectfully disagree. I will always love Lemonis for what he accomplished, but whatever he had is gone and isn't coming back. Better to cut him now and hire a new coach to restore the program. With a good hire and a good transfer portal haul (which is entirely dependent on our fanbase supporting the NIL program), we can be in the hosting mix next year. Long rebuilds are a thing of the past.

vCash
    I think Lemonis has given up.

I think he is lost and doesn't know what to do.

I wouldn't be surprised if he is relieved when we fire him and I wouldn't be shocked if he just steps down on his own.

vCash
    The biggest problem is the Lemonis is not a good coach in the off season - the time when you truly develop good players with reps, work ethic, and discipline.

For whatever reason, he was not able to correct this after last year. If he could not fix it last year, he is not going to suddenly figure it out.

I do not think it matters at this point. He is clearly defeated and has no answers. I do not see him putting up up much of a fight to hang around.
    Last edited by bulldogcountry1; 05-11-2023 at 07:35 AM.

vCash
    Im more of a football/basketball guy and dont watch baseball as much as alot of you but I do follow it and have over the years. I understand both sides of the coin, Lemonis has been horrible since we won the NC there is no other way to put it, but it's hard firing a coach just 2 years removed from a National Championship. Other than Saban, Dabo, Coach K, Dawn Staley and legendary coaches like that who always seem to be in the mix of National Championships, alot of other teams have struggled after winning it. That being said our drop off has been horrible, we've gone from a Natty to being dead last and not even in the mix so again, I understand both sides of this coin.

vCash
    Lemo doesn't have near the hard core persona of the coaches you mention. Your point is well taken. He cannot evaluate good enough to maintain an SEC baseball roster. I'm told by a higher up booster source(over 70 yrs old) who contributes huge $$ to MSU that Lemo will be gone soon according to the conversations he has had over the last 2 weeks. we shall wait and see I guess. When Oklahoma and TX join we can be # 15 or 16 in the big SEC.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldogcountry1 View Post
    The biggest problem is the Lemonis is not a good coach in the off season - the time when you truly develop good players with reps, work ethic, and discipline.

For whatever reason, he was not able to correct this after last year. If it could not fix it last year, he is not going to suddenly figure it out.

I do not think it matters at this point. He is clearly defeated and has no answers. I do not see him putting up up much of a fight to hang around.
    Bingo, this is it. Last year was the wake up call and what was the result? More the same. I will always cheer his championship year and even the year before trip to Omaha. As others said Gary Henderson as an interim coach took us to Omaha.

I think Lemo was on cruise control after the first few years thinking this is easier than I thought but what he didn't realize is the folks before him that built it and he cashed in but the building never stops. I'll cheer him for the NC year but he has no answer and if he returns I am afraid it will be like bringing Croom back in 09 or Moorhead in 19. We just need a change.

On flip side, he says we have 3 top ranked classes coming in. Can he change his approach and turn it around?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NCMSTFAN View Post
    Im more of a football/basketball guy and dont watch baseball as much as alot of you but I do follow it and have over the years. I understand both sides of the coin, Lemonis has been horrible since we won the NC there is no other way to put it, but it's hard firing a coach just 2 years removed from a National Championship. Other than Saban, Dabo, Coach K, Dawn Staley and legendary coaches like that who always seem to be in the mix of National Championships, alot of other teams have struggled after winning it. That being said our drop off has been horrible, we've gone from a Natty to being dead last and not even in the mix so again, I understand both sides of this coin.
    I think we probably have the most unique situation in the history of college baseball. I would be willing to bet a large amount of money that there has never been a HC that took his teams to back to back College World Series his first two years followed by back to back last place finishes in his own conference with overall losing records the following 2 seasons. If I hadn't watched this 4 season span play out like it has I would not have believed it. And if we just had any signs of hope for next year I do believe we would all be willing to give Lemonis another year but at this stage I really don't see any.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maroonmania View Post
    I think we probably have the most unique situation in the history of college baseball. I would be willing to bet a large amount of money that there has never been a HC that took his teams to back to back College World Series his first two years followed by back to back last place finishes in his own conference with overall losing records the following 2 seasons. If I hadn't watched this 4 season span play out like it has I would not have believed it. And if we just had any signs of hope for next year I do believe we would all be willing to give Lemonis another year but at this stage I really don't see any.
    We have some nice position players returning but the pitching staff is still going to be bad unless we get a major boost from the portal but to your point, next year is going to be rough.
    "The QB and the receiver weren't on the same page there, but hey its only week eleven". (Jack Cristil)

vCash
    Hines and Jordan are going to be offered big money to bolt. One of them already has been.
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    I wouldn't be shocked if Lemonis isn't let go after Sunday, probably not but it could happen.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    Hines and Jordan are going to be offered big money to bolt. One of them already has been.
    This is the why we will know everything about Lemonis' future by July 17. That's one-week after the draft.

(1) He has to re-recruit all the star Freshmen and Sophomores (Has to convince kids that MSU is heading back to relevance, not just hard-pegged to 14th place in the SEC)
    (2) He has to keep the 2023 recruiting class together through the draft (Draft on July 11 - by July 17, we will see who is actually coming to MSU)
    (3) Has to hire a credible Pitching Coach to keep the Roster Talent and the Recruits.
    (4) Then you look at the Portal recruiting, if MSU is simply a fellow bidder, then the Program Goodwill is gone and 2021 is now ancient history.

If he is fired by the Roster, Recruits, and his Professional Colleagues. Then it's over.

If he can keep the Roster, Recruits, and bring-in motivated SoCon and P5 Stars, then you can keep Lemonis another year. This lets the Vitello show play-out another year in Tennessee. Maybe Link Jarred (FSU) or Jared Stiffler (Notre Dame) show you something in 2024. Plus, we should all recognize that another coach selected by Selmon is not a guaranteed home-run hire. It's a risk in-itself.

vCash
    Jarrett played at Fla State. He is at his last job

vCash
    Gone
    Toast
    Flushed

Lem crashed his cart.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    Gone
    Toast
    Flushed

Lem crashed his cart.
    Damn. We gonna have to buy a new bucket

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Federalist Engineer View Post
    This is the why we will know everything about Lemonis' future by July 17. That's one-week after the draft.
    He should and likely will be gone well before that.

I like Lemonis personally, and I will always remember him fondly because he won us a national title. You can't take that away. But it's pretty obvious he's not the right guy for us long-term. He has had time. He had time to try to right the ship last year and we tanked late in the year. He had time this year to get it figured out, build a better team, and then even when we started poorly, to get us to improve throughout the year. We have not. We are worse even than last year. You just have to make the move. I really wish we didn't have to because I wish Lemonis was the guy. But he's not.

vCash
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!