Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jimmy bell (center) transferring to state

vCash

Jimmy bell (center) transferring to state

From West Virginia. Numbers not that great. Hopefully he's a good defender

vCash
    He's not known for his defense, he did talk about getting better on the defensive end and thinks Jans can help him there (he won't have much choice if he wants to play). Previously played at Moberly Community College, St. Louis and West Virginia, he's a big body 6'10 285 so that is nice but his numbers are bad:

Averaged 4.8 ppg, 5.2 rpg 61% from the free throw line. I hope this isn't Tolu's replacement because he is more of a backup Center, not sure of McNair's intentions to stay or leave. That leaves us with 2 more scholarships, Jans needs a scorer/shooter in the worst way. I'm still a little concerned with recruiting and the talent we currently have.
    Last edited by NCMSTFAN; 05-11-2023 at 05:46 PM.

vCash
    Not known for his defense and dang sure not known for his offense. But he is a big body at 285 lbs.
    "The QB and the receiver weren't on the same page there, but hey its only week eleven". (Jack Cristil)

vCash
    Are we done? Tolu or bust?

vCash
    hearing McNair is leaving but he hasnt seemed to find a landing spot yet
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    hearing McNair is leaving but he hasnt seemed to find a landing spot yet
    I believe tomorrow is the last day to enter the portal, but since McNair has graduated he can transfer thru the summer.

vCash
    Maybe sign Jans up for the Advanced Recruiting Seminar next week. Purcell is teaching.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by EdwardDrayton View Post
    Maybe sign Jans up for the Advanced Recruiting Seminar next week. Purcell is teaching.
    Hahaha great post. But yea, I know this is only his 2nd recruiting cycle but with the portal available for immediate proven talent there isn't alot of excuses or rebuilding that has to happen. Purcell is killing it in recruiting both high school and the portal. Jans hasn't figured that part out yet

vCash
    I'm sure we're not bringing this guy in to start for us. He scores, on a per minute basis, about as well as McNair, but with better efficiency. And he rebounds, blocks shots, gets steals, gets assists, all slightly better than McNair, especially offensive rebounds. So as a backup C, he's a good option and could possibly give us more of a boost when Tolu is out.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NCMSTFAN View Post
    Hahaha great post. But yea, I know this is only his 2nd recruiting cycle but with the portal available for immediate proven talent there isn't alot of excuses or rebuilding that has to happen. Purcell is killing it in recruiting both high school and the portal. Jans hasn't figured that part out yet
    men's basketball players cost more than women's players
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Maybe McNair should transition and play for Sam.

vCash
    That’s the main factor. NIL plays into women’s sports but not nearly at the same rate. I have no inside information about our NIL situation, but I am sure that is why other teams are getting better players through the portal. It’s unfortunate, but we are going to have a hard time competing in football and men’s basketball unless NIL gets more regulated. It doesn’t matter if Saban and Coach K were our football and basketball coaches if we don’t get NIL up to par with other SEC teams

vCash
    Tell that to teams like FDU, Florida Atlantic, San Diego State... all of these teams went sweet 16 or better in the tourney with very little NIL support. Everything isn't about NIL there are talented players out there. Ole Miss sure isn't having a hard time finding them.

Also, have you seen the NIL deals these girls have been getting? Hailey Van Lith, Angel Reese, the swimmer from LSU, the twins from Miami, Caitlin Clark etc.... these girls are bringing in more than alot of guys... we had two girls on our team last year in Jerkaila Jordan and Ahlana Smith that were in the top 50 of NIL
    Last edited by NCMSTFAN; 05-11-2023 at 05:46 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PGHBulldogBG View Post
    That’s the main factor. NIL plays into women’s sports but not nearly at the same rate. I have no inside information about our NIL situation, but I am sure that is why other teams are getting better players through the portal. It’s unfortunate, but we are going to have a hard time competing in football and men’s basketball unless NIL gets more regulated. It doesn’t matter if Saban and Coach K were our football and basketball coaches if we don’t get NIL up to par with other SEC teams
    I dont like the NIL excuse, I know it plays a part but when lesser teams in lesser conferences can field really good teams we should be able to also. You mean to tell me we can't go find a good scorer or shooter anywhere because of NIL?

vCash
    I dont like the NIL excuse, I know it plays a part but when lesser teams in lesser conferences can field really good teams we should be able to also. You mean to tell me we can't go find a good scorer or shooter anywhere because of NIL?
    A lot of those players were already in place before NIL. SDSU and UConn are more than likely using their NIL allotment pretty much solely on hoops. The majority of ours is going to SEC football recruits. Unfortunately, I wouldn’t be surprised if we use more for baseball than basketball because of our fanbase obsession with that sport. When your entire fund is going just to one sport, it makes it easier to pay players more even if your overall amount as a whole is less

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PGHBulldogBG View Post
    A lot of those players were already in place before NIL. SDSU and UConn are more than likely using their NIL allotment pretty much solely on hoops. The majority of ours is going to SEC football recruits. Unfortunately, I wouldn’t be surprised if we use more for baseball than basketball because of our fanbase obsession with that sport. When your entire fund is going just to one sport, it makes it easier to pay players more even if your overall amount as a whole is less
    I dont disagree with that but we can't let that be our excuse going forward with basketball and football. If we are going to play the "little Mississippi State can't keep up because of NIL" card then why play the games with the big boys? To me it sounds more like we don't belong in the SEC when we make those excuses. Ole Miss sure is doing well in basketball right now with recruiting so if they can figure it out we can too.... Im just not a fan of the NIL excuse, I understand there is some validity there but we have to figure it out

vCash
    I dont disagree with that but we can't let that be our excuse going forward with basketball and football. If we are going to play the "little Mississippi State can't keep up because of NIL" card then why play the games with the big boys? To me it sounds more like we don't belong in the SEC when we make those excuses. Ole Miss sure is doing well in basketball right now with recruiting so if they can figure it out we can too.... Im just not a fan of the NIL excuse, I understand there is some validity there but we have to figure it out
    Been saying for years, if State is okay with being Vandy with a lot less money, then by all means the SEC is for us. And I do think the prestige of being in the SEC is more important to so many of our fans. They are okay with State always finishing in the bottom 3rd(soon to be the bottom 4th). We can keep raising ticket prices until we price the a stage State fan out and start putting Tarps over the empty sections. Or we can hire the best Fund Raiser ever and get them after the most wealthy alumni to understand that athletics drives the entire University.

vCash
    We do not overfund baseball and limit our NIL in basketball. Football is our biggest issue with NIL. Basketball is on better footing than football.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainObvious View Post
    Been saying for years, if State is okay with being Vandy with a lot less money, then by all means the SEC is for us. And I do think the prestige of being in the SEC is more important to so many of our fans. They are okay with State always finishing in the bottom 3rd(soon to be the bottom 4th). We can keep raising ticket prices until we price the a stage State fan out and start putting Tarps over the empty sections. Or we can hire the best Fund Raiser ever and get them after the most wealthy alumni to understand that athletics drives the entire University.
    As things stand right now, without change in rules, I have no hope for our future in football. I think we're dying there, and the NIL is the executioner. Our only hope would be to get our richest alumni to start caring about sports, which they currently don't. We have a chance to do better in basketball, and certainly baseball.

vCash
    Tell that to teams like FDU, Florida Atlantic, San Diego State... all of these teams went sweet 16 or better in the tourney with very little NIL support. Everything isn't about NIL there are talented players out there. Ole Miss sure isn't having a hard time finding them.

Also, have you seen the NIL deals these girls have been getting? Hailey Van Lith, Reese Weatherspoon, the swimmer from LSU, the twins from Miami, Caitlin Clark etc.... these girls are bringing in more than alot of guys... we had two girls on our team last year in Jerkaila Jordan and Ahlana Smith that were in the top 50 of NIL
    Then we need to use that money on MBK. Sorry, I'm a sexist pig