Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The more I think about it...if we do make the change

vCash

The more I think about it...if we do make the change

Gonna have to take a hard look at making GoTro the guy. My reasoning:

A) If we keep Lemon- it's going to be tough to pull a well-known PC....knowing Lemonizik is on the hottest of seats

B) Firing him 2 seasons removed from a Natty is going to limit choices in the hiring process.

C) Firing him and GoTro as well will likely cause a major roster exodus as well as harm our recruiting class. Which will make it even tougher for the next coach to rebuild.

Ya'll thought I was full of it when I mentioned Arnett back in November- and look where we are now? Just something to ponder on the next couple of weeks.
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    I know he is the hitting Coach, But how far do his responsibilities go? Is the Lineup card his? Calling bunts? Base running? Fielding??

vCash
    I understand your rationale but if Lemonis goes, they ALL need to go........For the life of me I don't see why people keep thinking GoTro is the chosen one........He must be our sacred cow......
    Last edited by Saltydog; 05-10-2023 at 05:16 PM.
    "The QB and the receiver weren't on the same page there, but hey its only week eleven". (Jack Cristil)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post

A) If we keep Lemon- it's going to be tough to pull a well-known PC....knowing Lemonizik is on the hottest of seats

B) Firing him 2 seasons removed from a Natty is going to limit choices in the hiring process.

C) Firing him and GoTro as well will likely cause a major roster exodus as well as harm our recruiting class. Which will make it even tougher for the next coach to rebuild.

Ya'll thought I was full of it when I mentioned Arnett back in November- and look where we are now? Just something to ponder on the next couple of weeks.
    A) Not sure about this, there are so many good pitching coaches at all levels. Some just need a chance.

B) Again, not sure about this, times have changed, IF a coach is scared of someone being fired after winning a Natty two years back, then he isn't the one we want anyway. I don't or didn't know too many coaches who were afraid of making good money and taking on a better job! Not only that, Coaches and AD's have to trust one another. Lastly, Big Time Coaches you haved stated not coming? Didn't scare the Pirate after we fired JoeMo after season two.

C) I agree

vCash
    The more I think about it - the more I think the bucket would do better than the staff

Lemonis - what does he coach? The art of organization?
    Gotro - infield - there?s not one elite fielder or hitter (Hines here but he?s platooning at DH)
    Cheese - catchers - no need to say more

vCash
    If we do fire him, we need to act like a top 5 baseball program in the country.

It should be a national search and we try to hire the best guy in the country.

Senior Member Lord McBuckethead's Avatar
    vCash
    Baseball is the easiest of the sports to coach. GoTro could do it.
    Downvotes_Hype

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord McBuckethead View Post
    Baseball is the easiest of the sports to coach. GoTro could do it.
    I agree

vCash

Regarding Arnette....."Where are we now?" Nobody knows. We haven't played a game yet. Nor a season to see if he's even competitive. IMO, jury is still out on Zach, but don't get me wrong. He was the right choice for HC given the situation we faced. Hope if works out and we soar in football, but it's still a question mark at this point.

vCash

I and Cooter have been saying this for over a month. We should have fired Lemo already and given Gotro the reigns as a trial run.

vCash
    Is Gotro a hard ass?? If not we don't need him. Most all the successful baseball coaches, including Cohen, seem to have that characteristic. Nice guys just don't get the job done as head coaches. The culture becomes soft as baby poo.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HancockCountyDog View Post

Or we could do what we did in football and take the easy way out, which is the MSU way of doing things. . . . .I will say this though, unlike our baseball program, our football program has far less national appeal or prominence and we may not have been able to do any better than Zach to begin with. . . .I don't feel that way about our baseball program.....
    Last edited by Saltydog; 05-10-2023 at 03:22 PM.
    "The QB and the receiver weren't on the same page there, but hey its only week eleven". (Jack Cristil)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog View Post
    Or we could do what we did in football and take the easy way out, which is the MSU way of doing things. . . . .
    Arnett took over In a program that was at least winning at a reasonable clip. Gotro would be taking over a program that he was a big part of that just finished last in the SEC the previous 2 seasons. Hard to have any confidence in that move.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maroonmania View Post
    Is Gotro a hard ass?? If not we don't need him. Most all the successful baseball coaches, including Cohen, seem to have that characteristic. Nice guys just don't get the job done as head coaches. The culture becomes soft as baby poo.
    Not from what I understand.......

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HancockCountyDog View Post

Concur, I have no idea why our fans think we can't get a great coach. The fact Lemon juice won one so quickly/easily should be a sign to every baseball coach in the country, who's goal it is to win a natty, to come to MSU to make their dreams a reality.

vCash
    If I hired an assistant to be head coach, then I?d just hire Corey Muscara to be the head coach.

vCash
    This is all so f'ed up. How did we get here.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by calidawg View Post
    This is all so f'ed up. How did we get here.
    ONLY at Mississippi State could we take something so good and turn it into absolute shit......

vCash
    Sandjunky may have the most $$ affordable idea yet. Keep Lemo and clean house, replace everybody else with all new assistants. After all, don?t the assistants do the most teaching and training? A novel idea indeed, and something to think about.

vCash
    If you fire Lemo, which he should be, you better have a coach locked down already. We have seen how this has played out before, surely we?ve learned our lesson.