Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: I'm telling you now...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maroonmania View Post
    I thought that at one point but is a pitching coach going to correct fielding of routine fly balls or a routine grounder? Is a pitching coach going change our HR or nothing approach to offense? I think we have a lot more problems than just pitching although there is no doubt pitching is our worst problem.
    I will say this, when you standing In The outfield and watching pitcher after pitcher get their shit pushed, you tend to have lapses. We are a very talented team who looks like shit. You also can’t expect freshman to walk in and make a huge impact u less they are studs like DJ. Hell Loftin was damn near unhittable until he got hurt. He just couldn’t throw strikes. Mershan has been a real surprise and looks like the future at either SS or 2B.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by raymonddawg View Post
    IMO there is probably less than 10% chance Lem is fired. Its just not gonna happen like that.

We need to hire the best available pitching coach and let him identify a handful of players and attack the transfer portal for pitchers. This team with a competitive pitching staff could be a pretty good squad.
    The transfer portal hasn't necessarily been kind to us for pitchers. Tyler Davis and Gartman have both been bad. Dohm is all over the place too. Good sometime and horrible others. Made 15 appearances and given up 7 dingers. Nixon has been good in limited appearances. We gotta do better than that.
    "The QB and the receiver weren't on the same page there, but hey its only week eleven". (Jack Cristil)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog View Post
    The transfer portal hasn't necessarily been kind to us for pitchers. Tyler Davis and Gartman have both been bad. Dohm is all over the place too. Good sometime and horrible others. Made 15 appearances and given up 7 dingers. Nixon has been good in limited appearances. We gotta do better than that.
    I don't understand what we are trying to do with Nixon. We do not get enough usage out of him for him to be one of our better pitchers

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    We have had captains for a long time. Back to the Polk Era. This is just the first time there has ever been a C put on the jersey. Don't know if Cohen had them or not. But this entire thing of the C on the chest is being WWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY overblown. We aren't losing bc Luke has a C on his chest. Just Silly.
    I'm more concerned that he is hitting .211 in sec play and can't control a running game better than me than I am that he is a captain (although that was stupid because you can be around him 2 minutes and know that's not his personality).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowbell View Post
    I don't understand what we are trying to do with Nixon. We do not get enough usage out of him for him to be one of our better pitchers
    When it was 3-3 Sunday in the fourth and we went cheathem, we should have went with our best guy. Same thing when we were up 8-6 vs TN in the sixth in game two.

Bennie Brown Know-It-All
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowbell View Post
    Having a designated closer in college has always been really silly to me because it's usually one of your best guys and you're usually getting him only an inning or 2 per weekend. I have never understood why coaches felt that getting 3 outs in the 9th was more important than 3 outs in the 6th. Pitch your best guys until they run out of gas and then pitch your next best guy, unless you have a specialty guy that you want to work a matchup with. I would rather try to piece something together at the end of the game then not even be in the game at all late. I just don't feel like college programs have enough talent on the mound most of the time to justify using one of their best pitchers for 1-2 innings a week.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    We hustle
    We dive for balls
    We congratulate guys for good plays
    We pay attention to coaching signals
    Yes- we do dumb shit

The culture isnt bad except that Alford should be run off. Pitching is this team's problem. Got to fix it
    We're soft in everything we do. That's the culture problem. We don't have alphas who are looking to cut your throat. At least not the upperclassmen.

I can support Lem getting another year though. But we need to hire a top pitching coach and pay him whatever it takes, even if that means Lem taking a 300k pay cut to keep his job.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maroonmania View Post
    I thought that at one point but is a pitching coach going to correct fielding of routine fly balls or a routine grounder? Is a pitching coach going change our HR or nothing approach to offense? I think we have a lot more problems than just pitching although there is no doubt pitching is our worst problem.
    Yes, I actually think competitive pitching would correct most of the fielding issues. I promise the number of walks, passed balls, wild pitches we allow is tough on our defenders. Its very difficult to stay engaged and ready during all of this. If we are shoving it on the mound I guarantee you we probably cut our errors in half this year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by confucius say View Post
    We're soft in everything we do. That's the culture problem. We don't have alphas who are looking to cut your throat. At least not the upperclassmen.

I can support Lem getting another year though. But we need to hire a top pitching coach and pay him whatever it takes, even if that means Lem taking a 300k pay cut to keep his job.
    A) totally agree

B) I'm torn. I dont think another year is going to make Lemon a better coach- but it will get another talented group of freshmens on campus. My worry on making the move this year is that it will turn some coaches off from coming. "Damn, he won a Natty and they firing the guy already. Wtf go there when some pitching injuries could cost you your job in 2 years????"

Not everybody sees the situation on an every day basis the way we do
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    A) totally agree

B) I'm torn. I dont think another year is going to make Lemon a better coach- but it will get another talented group of freshmens on campus. My worry on making the move this year is that it will turn some coaches off from coming. "Damn, he won a Natty and they firing the guy already. Wtf go there when some pitching injuries could cost you your job in 2 years????"

On B) - Do we lose more talent to the portal if we keep Lemon, or more due to decommitments from next year's class if we fire him?

vCash
    A) totally agree

To me, this is even a better reason to go ahead and do it:

1) Any coach worth us going after is going to already know we had no choice BUT to can him, with the crapshow put on the field the last two years. These coaches all know each other. I want a guy who looks our program and says "Can't believe he screwed it up that bad after winning a Natty-I can turn this around, blah, blah, blah"

2) Any coach that's worried we're moving on too quickly from the failure the past 2 seasons has been, I don't want him anyway. We're not talking about missing Omaha for 2 seasons for crying out loud, we're missing HOOVER!!!!!!!!!!

vCash
    A) totally agree

While I think getting rid of Lemonis is the right move - the bold above is a big deal. Baseball is a sport that thrives on stability and a firing has a chance to destabilize things more. It's a real crap shoot. If I were Selmon, I'd be damn sure who my hire was before I pulled a trigger.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarius View Post
    Having a designated closer in college has always been really silly to me because it's usually one of your best guys and you're usually getting him only an inning or 2 per weekend. I have never understood why coaches felt that getting 3 outs in the 9th was more important than 3 outs in the 6th. Pitch your best guys until they run out of gas and then pitch your next best guy, unless you have a specialty guy that you want to work a matchup with. I would rather try to piece something together at the end of the game then not even be in the game at all late. I just don't feel like college programs have enough talent on the mound most of the time to justify using one of their best pitchers for 1-2 innings a week.
    This is the way I see it too. And we are so short of pitchers, We need to be stacking our better pitchers in one game. We're spreading them out across three games and not winning any of them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TStationDawg View Post
    To me, this is even a better reason to go ahead and do it:

1) Any coach worth us going after is going to already know we had no choice BUT to can him, with the crapshow put on the field the last two years. These coaches all know each other. I want a guy who looks our program and says "Can't believe he screwed it up that bad after winning a Natty-I can turn this around, blah, blah, blah"

2) Any coach that's worried we're moving on too quickly from the failure the past 2 seasons has been, I don't want him anyway. We're not talking about missing Omaha for 2 seasons for crying out loud, we're missing HOOVER!!!!!!!!!!
    It's ok to have that view- just dont be mad when we hire head coach from N. Florida or the top asst from NC State as our new HC

vCash
    I am fine with keeping Lemonis as long as he goes full Deon on this roster of non SEC players. This current freshman class and the one following seems to be legit. Get a pitching coach that seems to be engaged and push the portal HARD

vCash
    I look forward to a new staff.

vCash
    It's ok to have that view- just dont be mad when we hire head coach from N. Florida or the top asst from NC State as our new HC
    Pretty sure MSU could hire the entire USM staff today. Utah coach for sure, that Utah coach has SEC and CWS experience and his wife liked Starkville.

You are also talking millions of dollars if you perform in Starkville.

Personally, I've never even asked about the previous guy in any job I have taken. I always assume he was vastly inferior. Coaches are probably 5x more alpha and reptilian brained than engineers.

You could even just Ice Leominis for a year, give Gotro a raise to HC and let Gotro hire the USM staff plus Cannizarro as the new Hitting Coach. Tell Lemonis to sell beer in the right field esplanade, he can sit on a bucket of ice and sell beer.

vCash
    We aren't hiring Scott berry. We aren't hiring Gary henderson. And Please stop w the cann bs. He part of the reason we are where we are. AND he wouldn't do his job the first damn time.

vCash
    I'm quite confident that we could pull almost any non-P5 head coach as long as we aren't going up against another P5 school to get him. The only exception would be someone who's really established and just doesn't want to leave for anywhere.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    We aren't hiring Scott berry. We aren't hiring Gary henderson. And Please stop w the cann bs. He part of the reason we are where we are. AND he wouldn't do his job the first damn time.
    Its comical some of these replies. Henderson is 61 years old. Has a job with no expectations. Got fired at Kentucky. Coaches ALWAYS ask about the previous guy. Always. And in the SEC- they already know about the previous guy.

What bothers me is people just blow off the fact that on our last hire- we were turned down multiple times and had to hire Indiana's HC. Coming off CWS appearances. Cohen didnt mess up any search- he hired someone highly recommended that would take the job.