Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Oswalt

vCash
    https://cdispatch.com/sports/2020-02...ing-confident/

Rook said Oswalt helped him finally find his change-up and command all his pitches, and other Starkville Academy players found the former Houston Astros starter similarly helpful.

?Every time you pitch, he teaches you something new,? senior Michael Winfield said. ?He?s definitely helped me with my velocity and even my spin rate and just grips on any pitch. His knowledge is unlike anybody?s I?ve ever seen.?

Oswalt said that his goal is to teach the Volunteers? staff how to pitch deep into a game while minimizing their pitch count.

?If they can do that, we?re gonna win a whole lot of ballgames,? Oswalt said. ?That?s how I had success in the big leagues: getting deep into games, winning the games late, and that?s what I?m trying to teach these guys.?

vCash
    Butch did this at Auburn when he brought Tim Hudson on board. Their pitching was very effective under Tim as well.

vCash
    Roy is not an option nor was he ever an option. We were never bringing in an interim. Roy probably tweeted that out to rile up some of the fans. He is not dumb and he can read Twitter and the message boards. He knows people were throwing it out there so why not have a little fun with it. This is not opinion either. It is fact. Steve just cleared it up as well.

Roy would be a great option if he actually wanted to put forth the time. However, he does not.

vCash
    He must have changed his mind because he said he would do it (about a year ago), maybe he wasn't serious.
    Everyone wants to be a beast...until its time to do what beasts do.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StarkVegasSteve View Post
    Roy is not an option nor was he ever an option. We were never bringing in an interim. Roy probably tweeted that out to rile up some of the fans. He is not dumb and he can read Twitter and the message boards. He knows people were throwing it out there so why not have a little fun with it. This is not opinion either. It is fact. Steve just cleared it up as well.

Roy would be a great option if he actually wanted to put forth the time. However, he does not.
    This. He was jerking chains and got a kick out of it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KB21 View Post
    https://cdispatch.com/sports/2020-02...ing-confident/

Rook said Oswalt helped him finally find his change-up and command all his pitches, and other Starkville Academy players found the former Houston Astros starter similarly helpful.

?Every time you pitch, he teaches you something new,? senior Michael Winfield said. ?He?s definitely helped me with my velocity and even my spin rate and just grips on any pitch. His knowledge is unlike anybody?s I?ve ever seen.?

Oswalt said that his goal is to teach the Volunteers? staff how to pitch deep into a game while minimizing their pitch count.

?If they can do that, we?re gonna win a whole lot of ballgames,? Oswalt said. ?That?s how I had success in the big leagues: getting deep into games, winning the games late, and that?s what I?m trying to teach these guys.?
    This exactly opposite of Foxhall's philosophy that really taxes the bullpen with "lesser" arms and talent... you're SPers are your better pitchers for a reason so why not get them deeper into the game? I would love for Roy to spend time with our guys.

vCash
    Roy would do it if it was on his terms. The problem is that his terms is one or two days a week for an hour or two and you have to work around his schedule. That is one of the reasons why it did not work out at Starkville Academy.

vCash
    Roy would do it if it was on his terms. The problem is that his terms is one or two days a week for an hour or two and you have to work around his schedule. That is one of the reasons why it did not work out at Starkville Academy.
    Maybe he can be a consultant? I can't remember the term that Saban uses for "off the field" coaches, but they have a ton.

vCash
    Analyst

vCash
    this

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by viverlibre View Post
    Maybe he can be a consultant? I can't remember the term that Saban uses for "off the field" coaches, but they have a ton.
    Well there is also some smoke that he may be taking over at Starkville Academy. I do not see it because of the time commitment but Roy has done crazier things so I would not put it past him.

vCash
    I can understand Lemonis not wanting to bring him in.

If we improve even slightly (which it's hard to get much worse), there will be massive pressure to hire him full time, and that's just a head ache he'd rather not deal with.

Same reason you won't see Jay Powell brought in.

vCash
    Well there is also some smoke that he may be taking over at Starkville Academy. I do not see it because of the time commitment but Roy has done crazier things so I would not put it past him.
    Where is Berkery going?

vCash
    I can?t see that

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sandjunky View Post
    Where is Berkery going?
    Rumored to not be back

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sandjunky View Post
    Where is Berkery going?
    They brought Berkerey in to try and unseat Magnolia Heights and now they realized that they are a killing machine at the moment and no one can beat them. I think they have lost like 8 games the last two years.

vCash
    Got to have a degree..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tcdog70 View Post
    Got to have a degree..
    ...to be employed as a coach, yes. He doesn't need to be employed by the school to work with guys.