Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It's not just us...LSU pitchers dropping like right and left

vCash

It's not just us...LSU pitchers dropping like right and left

LSU has lost 3 pitchers so far and a 4th left the game last night with an apparent injury. UPig losing guys. Mizzou lost guys and tumbled. It's a college baseball problem
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    OK, what is the solution? Do we delay the age when kids can start baseball?

vCash
    Ark lost another this week. Dylan Carter I think is his name.

It's velocity. We were at 89-92 for decades. And the last 10 years we've gone to 94-97. The body isn't built for that, so it breaks.

vCash
    I've also seen people theorize its the "year round" nature of baseball now. Kids don't have 3 months of not throwing a baseball where their elbow may be able to heal up.

Personally, I bet it's more velo related than use. But I don't know the science of it at all. Take 2 kids, one born in 1988 and the other 2001. Putting them as college Srs in 2010 and the other 2023. We know velo has picked up 2, 3, 4 mph in those 13 years, and I just find ot hard to believe the travel ball and practice culture changed THAT much to where these UCL tears are overwork related and not velo.

vCash
    I started watching MSU baseball in the 60's for years we never lost pitchers to injuries. In the last 6-7 years Pitchers dropping like flies. why?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tcdog70 View Post
    I started watching MSU baseball in the 60's for years we never lost pitchers to injuries. In the last 6-7 years Pitchers dropping like flies. why?
    No single factor. Its a combo of a) throwing too much too early, b) the quest for velo and max effort, c) not taking enough time off.

a+b+c= exploding elbows.
    Everyone wants to be a beast...until its time to do what beasts do.

vCash
    Everyone is dealing with pitching injuries. Our specific problem is we have way too many pitchers that are totally ineffective and cant throw strikes even when they are healthy.

vCash
    Weighted balls.... no question they help w velo. And no doubt in my mind the more you use them the more likely you have arm issues.

vCash
    Take a guy like Greg Maddux - if you coached him to throw with max effort and maximize his velocity, would he have had more injuries? The answer is, of course he would. That is the main difference, though pitching more often as a kid definitely doesn't help.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    Weighted balls.... no question they help w velo. And no doubt in my mind the more you use them the more likely you have arm issues.
    Got dang weighted balls - tell where I can find the weightless balls please

Ignorance abounds - all anecdotal - show me the studies

Oldest has used for 5 years now - hasn?t had a single arm issue - throws year round too - takes time away from mound though - he also does arm care, recovery, and mobility daily

Btw heavier (than 5oz) typically are used to help clean mechanics up because it helps the player feel while the lighter (than 5oz) are used for arm speed

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Leroy Jenkins View Post
    No single factor. Its a combo of a) throwing too much too early, b) the quest for velo and max effort, c) not taking enough time off.

a+b+c= exploding elbows.
    This is it. It's pretty simple. I'm not a baseball expert but I'm a problem solver (basically) for my employer. Trying to increase velocity and travel ball. Too much work and no recovery time. Just like equipment. Simple.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DownwardDawg View Post
    This is it. It's pretty simple. I'm not a baseball expert but I'm a problem solver (basically) for my employer. Trying to increase velocity and travel ball. Too much work and no recovery time. Just like equipment. Simple.
    Exactly.

Little34's good friend (the little shit that is responsible for making me a basketball dad for talking Little34 into playing) plays year round and has been for years. His Dad even got mad that he wanted to play basketball. Kid would have basketball practice and games during the week then they travel and go to baseball tournaments on the weekend. He pitches on Saturday and Sunday's most times. Had to shut him down back in March with elbow tenderness. Still not well so an MRI is next. 14 years old

Told them 2 years ago he was playing too much. These parents dont listen

After kids have been doing this for 5-6-7-8 years, then they go to college and the ones who havent broken down yet- end up finally doing so
    Last edited by Coach34; 05-03-2023 at 12:00 PM.
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    People love to sing the praises of Wes Johnson. Yall clearly have amnesia from when everyone wanted to run him off from here several years back for injuring half our staff.

vCash
    I was at at event where the speaker was a very high level physician at a prominent children's hospital and someone asked him if he was king for a day what rule would he create and he said to eliminate kids specializing in single sports. That's how bad the epidemic is of injuries

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    Exactly.

Little34's good friend (the little shit that is responsible for making me a basketball dad for talking Little34 into playing) plays year round and has been for years. His Dad even got mad that he wanted to play basketball. Kid would have basketball practice and games during the week then they travel and go to baseball tournaments on the weekend. He pitches on Saturday and Sunday's most times. Had to shut him down back in March with elbow tenderness. Still not well so an MRI is next. 14 years old

Told them 2 years ago he was playing too much. These parents dont listen

After kids have been doing this for 5-6-7-8 years, then they go to college and the ones who havent broken down yet- end up finally doing so
    Yep!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by calidawg View Post
    People love to sing the praises of Wes Johnson. Yall clearly have amnesia from when everyone wanted to run him off from here several years back for injuring half our staff.
    Our pitchers were dropping like flies when he was here. He decimated our pitching staff.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DownwardDawg View Post
    Our pitchers were dropping like flies when he was here. He decimated our pitching staff.
    But did he, or was that just the start of the trend we -and everyone else in baseball- are still dealing with?

You can blame his weighted balls if you want too. My understanding is that most college programs use them. But you can't deny the problem of UCL tears has stayed long after he left

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sandjunky View Post
    Got dang weighted balls - tell where I can find the weightless balls please

Ignorance abounds - all anecdotal - show me the studies

Oldest has used for 5 years now - hasn?t had a single arm issue - throws year round too - takes time away from mound though - he also does arm care, recovery, and mobility daily

Btw heavier (than 5oz) typically are used to help clean mechanics up because it helps the player feel while the lighter (than 5oz) are used for arm speed
    There are a several studies on this. The main significant age increase for UCL damage is 15-19 years of age with an overall 343% increase of all players from 2003 to 2014. Weighted balls increase velocity, increase velocity beyond the strength and ROM of a players shoulder and elbow increases arm injury significantly. It is a direct correlation. And it's exponential to the weight, more torque on the elbow the heavier you go. Underweight ball throwing programs have shown less stress on the arm and the ability to increase velocity as well. Just at a smaller and slower rate. Because the shoulder and elbow are strengthening and increasing ROM with less stress.

Overuse, sport specific training, year long play, overweight training are all factors and have caused an epidemic of arm injuries. That's not an opinion either, that from the doctors, trainers and researchers with studies.

vCash
    Weighted balls increase injury risk, but they also increase draft stock. I think it's worth the risk actually

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Weighted balls increase injury risk, but they also increase draft stock. I think it's worth the risk actually
    It sucks but agreed.

A) "you'll throw 90 and have low injury risk

B) you'll throw 96 but likely have Tommy John, afterwhich you are likely to get back to 96"

Which path would you pick to make the MLB? B) is the clear winner