Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: a little basketball news to get your mind off of Baseball ,,,

vCash

a little basketball news to get your mind off of Baseball ,,,

After all the moving parts in the transfer portal, CBS Sports released an updated top 25 and 1 ranking ahead of the new season. Texas took a significant jump in the rankings, while some others fell down on the list. Here is a look at the latest top 25 and 1 from CBS.

CBS Sports Top 25 and 1 for the 2023-24 season
    UConn
    Purdue
    Marquette
    Duke
    Florida Atlantic
    Alabama
    Kansas
    Michigan State
    Houston
    Arkansas
    Creighton
    Gonzaga
    Miami
    Kentucky
    San Diego State
    Tennessee
    USC
    Texas A&M
    Texas
    UCLA
    Saint Mary?s
    Auburn
    Baylor
    Arizona
    Iowa State
    Mississippi State

vCash
    Need a guy that can knock down some 3's. Obviously Tolu would be great to have as well but he is going to get some huge offers
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Didnt someone say portal ends may 11th? Need to figure out roster

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Didnt someone say portal ends may 11th? Need to figure out roster
    It's incredibly disappointing we haven't brought in a single portal guy for a visit

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    It's incredibly disappointing we haven't brought in a single portal guy for a visit
    Looks like we running it back, and jans is betting on his recruiting class. Hopefully he's right

vCash

Based on roster

Is DJ Jeffries coming back? Article mentions Tolu too.

Pretty amazing to go from where they were to pre-season (almost) rankings (26).

Also, very disappointing we didn't get one portal transfer.

vCash
    Yes the portal closes May 11th, we currently have 2 available spots, maybe more depending on what Tolu does. There were rumors that McNair might leave also depending on Tolu's decision so we may have anywhere from 2 to 4 spots open.

Alot of the guys we were recruiting out of the portal chose other schools. Getting Hubbard helps but it's always hard relying on a Freshman. We really need a couple scorers/shooters, we struggled alot offensively. Maybe the JUCO guys help out but it's hard relying on that too. With so many people in the portal I don't know why Jans struggles to get a solid portal guy

Banned
    vCash
    I mean I feel like this is false. Don't we have someone lined up for a visit as well. Like from WVU (name is escaping me). We just haven't closed the deal on one.

vCash
    Last day to enter the portal is the 11th. We can add anyone in the portal until last day of add/drop in the fall semester.

We are on a couple guys. Patience patience patience.

If you want to see more traction on the transfers, up your NIL contributions. Jans biggest piece is getting Tolu back. He's also eating up about 60% of our NIL budget. Nothing official yet, but he is leaning towards returning. DJ is also expected back.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    I mean I feel like this is false. Don't we have someone lined up for a visit as well. Like from WVU (name is escaping me). We just haven't closed the deal on one.
    Not false. I'll try not to take offense

Banned
    vCash
    Not false. I'll try not to take offense
    Name I heard was passed second hand and I never investigated that it was a women's player. "Darian" (Darrione) Rogers. But we do have Jimmy Bell from WVU lined up for a visit.

vCash
    Roger's will be a really nice pickup if Purcell can seal the deal. He already got a transfer PG out of the portal who averaged 21 ppg and 6 assist at a Big East school, Seton Hall. He will field a good product on the womens side no doubt.

Jimmy Bell is a solid backup Center for Jans if he gets him but he averaged 5 ppg and 5 rpg at WVU.. not really what we need right now. We badly need proven scoring, especially on the perimeter. Who is our current go-to perimeter guy? We need an Iverson molinar, Q. Weatherspoon, DJ Stewart type perimeter player.

vCash
    We need a guy that can make an open look from 3. We couldnt do that this past season. Shit, our season ended on an open look from 3
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    We need a guy that can make an open look from 3. We couldnt do that this past season. Shit, our season ended on an open look from 3
    To me, it's crazy that we haven't locked up a shooter yet. Dead last in the country in 3 point FG %

vCash
    Who says we haven’t ? And who says Jans hasn’t been into multiple living rooms of portal guys

vCash
    To me, it's crazy that we haven't locked up a shooter yet. Dead last in the country in 3 point FG %
    And it wasn't like we took bad shots either. Most of those misses our guy was screaming open.
    "We will have no problem in handling Kentucky."-Turfdawg67. MSU suffered a 27-17 defeat in 2022 with 225 yards in total offense.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ari Gold View Post
    Who says we haven’t ? And who says Jans hasn’t been into multiple living rooms of portal guys
    I'm not sure what you mean. Just looking at the facts as of today. So far, 0 portal players have signed or visited.

vCash
    And you in fact have said evidence that Jans hasn't a portal guy visit? Has Jans not gone and met face to face with any portal guys either?

vCash
    Whether we've had any portal guys visit or not, as of now we don't have a committment from anyone. I've seen several names of players we are after, alot of them have since committed elsewhere. I just hope we get a proven guy or two from a high major program or a very successful mid major. I know Jans loves defense but we need some guys who can also put the ball through the net at a consistent basis also

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pancho View Post
    And you in fact have said evidence that Jans hasn't a portal guy visit? Has Jans not gone and met face to face with any portal guys either?
    We have reached out to numerous players. No takers yet. I feel confident we sign 2 portal guys. I don't feel confident that they will be high end scorers.