Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Well, Football Season now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord McBuckethead View Post
    Exactly. We give 1 million, aTm gives 10. Every single 3 star player in the country is looking for big money to come to every school. I know, because my nephew is one of them right now. First question before the depth chart is NIL money. And that is the same for every single player that is good enough to make a difference.

No reason to even give money when our billionaires refuse to pony up. We just got 100 million. 20 of that should have been for football only. 20 more million for basketball. 20 million for baseball. We could have invested all of that and used the return to fund our ongoing NIL deals for every position on every team.

The should of beens' don't work. Have you considered that if a donor gives $100 million to MSU that the donor can designate where the money goes. Now it would have been nice if the money was allocated the way you said, but it's the donor's prerogative on where and how they want their donation to be used, and NIL was not on the table.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Activated Alpha View Post
    Was that money only for academics? I mean, I can't tell someone what to do with their money, but I can definitely tell them that they are dumbasses for what they do with it. Did they not earmark any of that donation to sports at all?

None of the money was earmarked for Athletics, but to call somebody a dumb ass for donating $100 million to MSU for academics. and its their prerogative for the money to be spent the way they want it to be used and they didn't want it spent on NIL apparently, then you may want to reconsider calling somebody a dumb ass in that situation

vCash
    Can?t watch baseball anymore.
    Just now? You're a bigger diehard than I am.
    MSU = Check Collectors

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by yjnkdawg View Post
    None of the money was earmarked for Athletics, but to call somebody a dumb ass for donating $100 million to MSU for academics. and its their prerogative for the money to be spent the way they want it to be used and they didn't want it spent on NIL apparently, then you may want to reconsider calling somebody a dumb ass in that situation
    Meh- how about considering what’s best for the school? Because not supporting athletics hurts the school. Study after study has shown that successful athletic programs bolster schools. Plenty of HS students don’t even consider schools that suck I. Sports.
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    Meh- how about considering what’s best for the school? Because not supporting athletics hurts the school. Study after study has shown that successful athletic programs bolster schools. Plenty of HS students don’t even consider schools that suck I. Sports.
    Yeah. SEC schools especially neee athletics to bolster academics. Sorry nerds, but Bama isn?t growing as fast without the dynasty.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Turfdawg67 View Post
    Just now? You're a bigger diehard than I am.
    I checked out when Dohm came out of the game holding his elbow. Any slim chance we had to sneak back into the postseason was eliminated at that point, so no need in being emotionally invested.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SPMT View Post
    Yeah. SEC schools especially neee athletics to bolster academics. Sorry nerds, but Bama isn?t growing as fast without the dynasty.
    In the 80's the U had a tremendous growth in new facilities. It was due to 2 things": The Football team and a little white powdery substance.

vCash
    The MSU alum way of thinking " I'm not giving I need A new truck someone else can give to this NIL thang ".

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by yjnkdawg View Post
    Am I thankful for his donation? Yes. Do I think he is a dumbass for not earmarking a portion of a very large donation towards athletics? Yes. If this was 40 years ago, it wouldn't matter. But money drives athletics today and we are in very short supply of it

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Activated Alpha View Post
    Was that money only for academics? I mean, I can't tell someone what to do with their money, but I can definitely tell them that they are dumbasses for what they do with it. Did they not earmark any of that donation to sports at all?
    I can't see where someone donating 100 million out of billions in earnings should be called a dumbass. So how much did your cheap ass donate to NIL. ??

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Dawg View Post
    The MSU alum way of thinking " I'm not giving I need A new truck someone else can give to this NIL thang ".
    Where here is the thing most of you are missing….. most NIL collectives are not listed as NFP. Most NIL deals are done through businesses which are for marketing and profit. Therefore it is not tax deductible. This donor that donated to the school specifically is able to use the entire amount as a tax deduction. Makes a huge difference. Donate to a school and get a huge tax deduction or donate to something that is not a deduction….. tough choice on 100 million dollars ….

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SilentSteel16 View Post
    Where here is the thing most of you are missing….. most NIL collectives are not listed as NFP. Most NIL deals are done through businesses which are for marketing and profit. Therefore it is not tax deductible. This donor that donated to the school specifically is able to use the entire amount as a tax deduction. Makes a huge difference. Donate to a school and get a huge tax deduction or donate to something that is not a deduction….. tough choice on 100 million dollars ….
    I did not miss a thing. The none Billionaire Dawgs have to spend their money on life necessities.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Dawg View Post
    I did not miss a thing. The none Billionaire Dawgs have to spend their money on life necessities.
    Which is exactly my point…. Not being tax deductible is an issue that most fans run into.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SilentSteel16 View Post
    Which is exactly my point…. Not being tax deductible is an issue that most fans run into.
    There's way around that.

1) set up a non profit charity.

2) take NIL donations earmarked for "marketing"

3) pay players and have them cut a short easy add.

4) any donations you get from said add you spend on charity work.

The NIL donations are tax deductible. If the Govt comes checking all they can really say is that ots an extremely inefficient charity with way too big of a marketing budget.

vCash
    Exactly. We give 1 million, aTm gives 10. Every single 3 star player in the country is looking for big money to come to every school. I know, because my nephew is one of them right now. First question before the depth chart is NIL money. And that is the same for every single player that is good enough to make a difference.

No reason to even give money when our billionaires refuse to pony up. We just got 100 million. 20 of that should have been for football only. 20 more million for basketball. 20 million for baseball. We could have invested all of that and used the return to fund our ongoing NIL deals for every position on every team.
    Sorry, that money was earmarked for academics.