Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Arkansas is out recruiting MSU in our own state!

Senior Member SpaceWranglerDawg's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by R2Dawg View Post
    The ballon will burst at some point. Yes it will appear a few get ahead but it will not last. The economy will not support every team doing it on a large scale. Who knows how it will fall out for conferences.

This will correct, it is coming. Look how the pay the hot coach all the money has worked out. Hasn't got TX, Neb or ND or whoever back to the top has it.
    Agreed, but at what point will it be when that bubble burst? How many teams will fall by the wayside before something happens to change things?

I'm of the belief at this point in time that the bus can't be turned around. I miss the paper bags and envelopes.

vCash
    But at what point? It may take 10 years and thats an eternity for us to drop to the bottom
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    and like everything else- once something is in place- its hard to make changes.

vCash
    They won't turn this thing around for quite some time. I'm not even sure they care to turn it around.

vCash
    The ballon will burst at some point. Yes it will appear a few get ahead but it will not last. The economy will not support every team doing it on a large scale. Who knows how it will fall out for conferences.

This will correct, it is coming. Look how the pay the hot coach all the money has worked out. Hasn't got TX, Neb or ND or whoever back to the top has it.
    There's a lot of truth to this. The balloon will pop. In descending order. With us being one of the first to go... And finally for all. Can't sustain itself. And for those saying it's happened forever, yes. But not to this degree.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    Leach is a reason we are behind. Like it or not. He didn't like it nor do I. But unfortunately, that's where we play. And bc if nil we are going to fall farther behind. But you will say that it's be bc we run the ball too much.
    There it is. The Leach haters will always blame him and fabricate things in an attempt to make Mike look bad.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KB21 View Post
    There it is. The Leach haters will always blame him and fabricate things in an attempt to make Mike look bad.
    And the Leach lovers will defend him in spite of the truth. So here we are

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msu15 View Post
    Us and Ole Miss could also merge. That'd help tremendously.
    That has already been tried and it failed miserably.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msu15 View Post
    Us and Ole Miss could also merge. That'd help tremendously.

"Between 1900 and 1930, the Mississippi Legislature introduced bills aiming to relocate, close, or merge the university with Mississippi State University. All such legislation failed. In 1928, then-Gov. Theodore Bilbo proposed to move Ole Miss and Mississippi State universities to 100 acres once occupied by the state insane asylum in Jackson. However, this proposal was not implemented. So, there has been no merger between Ole Miss and Mississippi State University."
    Last edited by SpaceBully; 04-30-2023 at 11:42 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaceBully View Post

"Between 1900 and 1930, the Mississippi Legislature introduced bills aiming to relocate, close, or merge the university with Mississippi State University. All such legislation failed. In 1928, then-Gov. Theodore Bilbo proposed to move Ole Miss and Mississippi State universities to 100 acres once occupied by the state insane asylum in Jackson. However, this proposal was not implemented. So, there has been no merger between Ole Miss and Mississippi State University."
    That's interesting. That's where UMC is now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    That's interesting. That's where UMC is now.
    And where Ole Miss money resides.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    And the Leach lovers will defend him in spite of the truth. So here we are
    I believe Leach and his system gave MSU a chance with his unconventional approach and an offense that could rely on less than all star players. The Leach experiment was starting to work as we saw with 9 games won in 2022. At Texas Tech and Washington State it took 3 or 4 years to get it really going. Some of you are too impatient.

But anyway, good luck trying to slug it out in the trenches with Alabama, Georgia and even Texas A&M with 3 star players.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TorpedoIPA View Post
    I believe Leach and his system gave MSU a chance with his unconventional approach and an offense that could rely on less than all star players. The Leach experiment was starting to work as we saw with 9 games won in 2022. At Texas Tech and Washington State it took 3 or 4 years to get it really going. Some of you are too impatient.

But anyway, good luck trying to slug it out in the trenches with Alabama, Georgia and even Texas A&M with 3 star players.
    That has zero to do with the original point that was made about Leach not caring about NIL.
    "We will have no problem in handling Kentucky."-Turfdawg67. MSU suffered a 27-17 defeat in 2022 with 225 yards in total offense.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainObvious View Post
    And where Ole Miss money resides.
    A lot of it anyway. My father used to donate to UMMC, until we got towed in oxford at an egg bowl when I was probably 8. Never gave them another dollar. First memory of hearing profanity him.

vCash

What has any of that have to do with NIL and recruiting?

vCash

You mention economy like this is a business thing bound by profit and math. It isn't.

NIL and college athletics are about rich people trying to gain bragging rights over their rich buddies. It's a hobby to them, a luxury for their own entertainment. It has nothing to do with getting their NIL contributions back via marketing from the players. It's about winning games. It's about bragging to friends "you see that DT that made the game saving stuff at the goaline? He's only here because I paid for him" and feeling like they are important.

Basically, this will only stop getting worse if the boosters at A&M, UGA, LSU etc decide they'd rather loose than pay more. It will only "correct" -as you say- if they decide they've been paying too much already and lower their NIL contributions.

We are priced out of the market. Always have been honestly- its not like we were winning many recruiting battles for 5 star kids as it was, and the results on the field proved we were out of any NC potential because of it. NIL just allows boosters to use their money more effectively and thus puts even more teams over us in the pecking order. But we were never truly in the same league as Bama or Clemson or OSU due to the NCAA not enforcing rules

vCash

Unfortunately, they decided to go with an offensive style that requires elite talent or a significant talent advantage to be successful. So, they will have to pick up the recruiting.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldendawg View Post
    Got to happen. Even NFL and other sports have team salary caps/contracts and this is now nearing minor league pro sports.
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Goldendawg again. Still wont let me rep you .......

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DownwardDawg View Post
    All of us GenX'rs, the ones donating most of the money, are fast losing interest in college sports because of NIL and transfer portal. The only hope I see, is that I know 100% that this isn't sustainable, so when it all crashes down, it will be re-configured in a way that draws people back. Which would mean more competitive.
    This is true for me. Maybe it's because I'm a little older now, maybe it's because of how they've changed the sports, maybe it was Covid, maybe it's the interjection of social issues and politics into sports, or maybe it's all of the above. But, I literally barely even care anymore. I used to donate as much as I could toward the BDC. I used to go to every home game and at least a couple of away games a year. I used to go to a lot of basketball and baseball games. Everything I missed, I watched live (if it was available), or at the very least DVR'd it and watched it ASAP. I have been to one live MSU sporting event since 2019. I donate nothing anymore, and have no plans to change that. I just can't get emotionally or monetarily involved the way I used to anymore.

And it's not just MSU sports or even college sports. I used to count down the days until football season. Like, when July rolled around, I felt like it was close and started getting antsy. During the entire football season, I would watch any game playing on Thursday night. College, NFL, or both. Saturday morning, I was usually driving to an MSU game. The Saturdays I didn't go to a State game, I would get up early, start the grill, and put something on. Then I would wait for Gameday to come on. I would watch the entire show. I would turn on 3 or 4 different games at a time and watch all day while I cooked, hung out with family and friends, etc. We would cook, eat, and watch football until bedtime. Sunday, I would watch 3 or 4 NFL games. I had fantasy football teams out the wazoo. I started playing DFS when that came out. It was literally my entire weekend during the Fall for so many years. Then, obviously, I would watch Monday night football.

Now? I couldn't tell you the last NFL game I even turned on. Is Gameday still on the air? Most Saturdays, I go fishing with my son or my BIL. I usually don't turn on a single game, except ours. I'm actually fine missing our game about half the time. Sometimes, I will DVR our game, but I have multiple games on my DVR that I never even watched. I still like for us to win. I'll follow along on my phone some while I'm doing other stuff. But I just don't care 1% of what I used to.

Long story short? I will never give $1 towards NIL. Am I a bad fan? I guess so. I'm sure a lot of people will write me off as a "fan" at all after reading this. All you younger guys will have to carry the torch for your time now. I did my part, but it's in the past now. Family, life, circumstances, the state of the game, etc. have changed me. I'm sure it will happen to most over time. Personally, I feel like my priorities used to be out of place, and now I'm in a healthier spot in that regard. But to each his own.

vCash
    State and OM will never merge. OM will try to bury State before that happens. Anyways...

Our best chance is for Alabama, Oh St etc to question why they are sharing TV revenue with a conference. They form their own tv contracts and go out on their own, or their own league. That will leave the rest of us to stay around and hopefully then the ncaa has the politic clout to go back to amateurism.

Because let's be real, the real market value for 90% of these players is what boosters will play for their flesh/service. Like a prostitute. They aren't getting Bryce Young deals and 100% of them are not out of high school. So, let the "Blue bloods" have their recruiting bidding wars to set their tv stage. I'll be happy on the moral lower stage.
    Last edited by Maroonthirteen; 05-01-2023 at 10:21 AM.