Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Arkansas is out recruiting MSU in our own state!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maroonthirteen View Post
    ...and I really don't blame anyone individually for that. It's a just a numbers issue and a lack of commercial support. Which both stems from history and being located in a rural area with no big businesses.
    Exactly, a high percentage of our best paid graduates don't even live close enough to the school after graduation to really stay engaged with our sports programs. This is due to a lack of technical jobs within the state combined with not having a medical school or law school. Only way we will ever get back in the game will be if athletic budget funds can be used to pay players at some point.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeardoMSU View Post
    If they are expecting fans to make our NIL competitive, then we really are ****ed. It absolutely must be the big money donors and corporate sponsorship that moves the needle.
    Exactly. A lot of our fans don't get it. The "rich people" out in the LFL grilling out may not be poor, bit they are NOT rich. They are far closer to the trailer park than they are an actual big time booster. Bama boosters went "let's give Bryce young a million dollars this season" before he ever played a snap for them. That is money. Other programs have guys that can donate 3, 5, 10 million without noticing any money missing. We have guys that make $180k and then this board criticises them for not "doing enough". Jerry Jones alone could make Arky better funded than State. Auburn has the Yella wood guy who can drop 20m without noticing. This board doesn't understand the scale of wealth disparity that were up against

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by the_real_MSU_is_us View Post
    Exactly. A lot of our fans don't get it. The "rich people" out in the LFL grilling out may not be poor, bit they are NOT rich. They are far closer to the trailer park than they are an actual big time booster. Bama boosters went "let's give Bryce young a million dollars this season" before he ever played a snap for them. That is money. Other programs have guys that can donate 3, 5, 10 million without noticing any money missing. We have guys that make $180k and then this board criticises them for not "doing enough". Jerry Jones alone could make Arky better funded than State. Auburn has the Yella wood guy who can drop 20m without noticing. This board doesn't understand the scale of wealth disparity that were up against
    Seriously, the only folks that I know of that are MSU people that actually might care enough to help and make a difference are former players. But I have no idea if the likes of Dak, Fletcher, Chris Jones, Jeffrey Simmons, Slay and on and on that have huge contracts in the NFL have any willingness to help us with our NIL problem or not?

vCash
    It's not just this board. It's 95% of the fan base.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maroonmania View Post
    Seriously, the only folks that I know of that are MSU people that actually might care enough to help and make a difference are former players. But I have no idea if the likes of Dak, Fletcher, Chris Jones, Jeffrey Simmons, Slay and on and on that have huge contracts in the NFL have any willingness to help us with our NIL problem or not?

They're willing to help. They just have to have an actual plan together that will help. These guys want to know their money is going to something worthwhile and not something thrown together in 5 minutes like The Legacy Group. A couple of those guys you mentioned already donate to NIL.

Bennie Brown Know-It-All
    vCash
    If they are expecting fans to make our NIL competitive, then we really are ****ed. It absolutely must be the big money donors and corporate sponsorship that moves the needle.
    This is the correct answer. A bunch of guys making 80K a year aren't going to move the needle. We need our boosters that can give 100 million to the school to be convinced that NIL is where we need their money at currently, and that is why we hired Selmon. I hope he can get it done. If he can't we are in trouble.

vCash
    This is only the beginning of the fall of college football. You think it's bad in year two of this NIL BS, just wait... next stop, a player's union. Enjoy the next 2-3 years.

It's over Johnny. - Colonel Troutman
    Last edited by Turfdawg67; 05-03-2023 at 06:34 PM.
    MSU = Check Collectors

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Turfdawg67 View Post

Nice.

vCash
    Nice.
    I knew you'd like that...

MSU = Check Collectors

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarius View Post
    This is the correct answer. A bunch of guys making 80K a year aren't going to move the needle. We need our boosters that can give 100 million to the school to be convinced that NIL is where we need their money at currently, and that is why we hired Selmon. I hope he can get it done. If he can't we are in trouble.
    Some believe the primary reason for the student debt crisis and the high cost of secondary education is that we threw so much money at it.

Wouldn't greed prevail and the situation get worse the more money funneled into NIL ? Perhaps the smart play is not to play.

vCash
    We have mattress Mack.

Bennie Brown Know-It-All
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TorpedoIPA View Post
    Some believe the primary reason for the student debt crisis and the high cost of secondary education is that we threw so much money at it.

Wouldn't greed prevail and the situation get worse the more money funneled into NIL ? Perhaps the smart play is not to play.
    If you want to win football games, not playing the NIL game is not an option. The only way your way would work is if everyone played it, and good luck with that.

vCash
    This is only the beginning of the fall of college football. You think it's bad in year two of this NIL BS, just wait... next stop, a player's union. Enjoy the next 2-3 years.

Absolutely. It's over. Just a matter of time. And it will not take long.

vCash
    I'm about like others. If it was more organized I'd be happy giving more. However I'm really just paying some kid to come play here when I could use that money instead to go to either my kids school, donate that money to children's on MS, etc. I think athletes should have spending money because it's a job. I pay a lot for season tickets in multiple sports. I don't see why the schools can't pay these kids some. However the ncaa has screwed this all up and it's just the top schools pay the best players to come. I mean when a women's basketball player has enough money/ gifted a Mercedes, come on. I'm about to stop watching sports. We can't match these big schools. We have a lot of wealthy alumni but not not like these other schools and when you have all the doctors and lawyers, even though they didn't go to ole miss but for professional school going to Oxford and sending their money to their nil, just makes it that much harder.

It's really sad. Keenum hopefully sees this and is pushing his friends in high places to do something.

vCash

OVER! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DownwardDawg View Post
    Absolutely. It's over. Just a matter of time. And it will not take long.
    It's not over.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLostDawg View Post
    I'm about like others. If it was more organized I'd be happy giving more. However I'm really just paying some kid to come play here when I could use that money instead to go to either my kids school, donate that money to children's on MS, etc. I think athletes should have spending money because it's a job. I pay a lot for season tickets in multiple sports. I don't see why the schools can't pay these kids some. However the ncaa has screwed this all up and it's just the top schools pay the best players to come. I mean when a women's basketball player has enough money/ gifted a Mercedes, come on. I'm about to stop watching sports. We can't match these big schools. We have a lot of wealthy alumni but not not like these other schools and when you have all the doctors and lawyers, even though they didn't go to ole miss but for professional school going to Oxford and sending their money to their nil, just makes it that much harder.

It's really sad. Keenum hopefully sees this and is pushing his friends in high places to do something.
    They really need to get this straightened out to save the sport. In the beginning, none of this was supposed to be for recruiting and was supposed to be a violation if it was. But now it?s mostly what?s it?s used for, recruiting, and in our case it seems we have to use it to retain players so they don?t get poached. This crap is just totally out of control. There was nothing wrong with players making some money on NIL if it was only Name, Image, and Likeness. But like we all new would happen, it?s the Wild West and big money wins again. And the other big problem is the transfer portal. Who wants to pay a kid a lot of money to sign with you only to possibly see him hit the portal later for more money. Just sitting here watching the sport I love fall to pieces right before my eyes!
    Last edited by Bdawg; 05-04-2023 at 09:37 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PMDawg View Post
    This is true for me. Maybe it's because I'm a little older now, maybe it's because of how they've changed the sports, maybe it was Covid, maybe it's the interjection of social issues and politics into sports, or maybe it's all of the above. But, I literally barely even care anymore. I used to donate as much as I could toward the BDC. I used to go to every home game and at least a couple of away games a year. I used to go to a lot of basketball and baseball games. Everything I missed, I watched live (if it was available), or at the very least DVR'd it and watched it ASAP. I have been to one live MSU sporting event since 2019. I donate nothing anymore, and have no plans to change that. I just can't get emotionally or monetarily involved the way I used to anymore.

And it's not just MSU sports or even college sports. I used to count down the days until football season. Like, when July rolled around, I felt like it was close and started getting antsy. During the entire football season, I would watch any game playing on Thursday night. College, NFL, or both. Saturday morning, I was usually driving to an MSU game. The Saturdays I didn't go to a State game, I would get up early, start the grill, and put something on. Then I would wait for Gameday to come on. I would watch the entire show. I would turn on 3 or 4 different games at a time and watch all day while I cooked, hung out with family and friends, etc. We would cook, eat, and watch football until bedtime. Sunday, I would watch 3 or 4 NFL games. I had fantasy football teams out the wazoo. I started playing DFS when that came out. It was literally my entire weekend during the Fall for so many years. Then, obviously, I would watch Monday night football.

Now? I couldn't tell you the last NFL game I even turned on. Is Gameday still on the air? Most Saturdays, I go fishing with my son or my BIL. I usually don't turn on a single game, except ours. I'm actually fine missing our game about half the time. Sometimes, I will DVR our game, but I have multiple games on my DVR that I never even watched. I still like for us to win. I'll follow along on my phone some while I'm doing other stuff. But I just don't care 1% of what I used to.

Long story short? I will never give $1 towards NIL. Am I a bad fan? I guess so. I'm sure a lot of people will write me off as a "fan" at all after reading this. All you younger guys will have to carry the torch for your time now. I did my part, but it's in the past now. Family, life, circumstances, the state of the game, etc. have changed me. I'm sure it will happen to most over time. Personally, I feel like my priorities used to be out of place, and now I'm in a healthier spot in that regard. But to each his own.
    You speak to, and for, more folks than you likely realize. I'm in my 80s and will not spend my time watching all of the 'garbage' that is supposed to pass as 'news' these days. So, sports has been my outlet/entertainment to keep me from dealing with angst regarding the condition of this old world and what my grandchildren will face. Now, sports is slowly being 'taken away' due to all the changes coming to fruition...makes me sad. Appreciate your comments.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maroonmania View Post
    Well apparently that's not helping either as currently our baseball team is significantly worse than our football team.
    Yeah that NIL money we spent in baseball is bringing in the wins this year. If you don't invest wisely, NIL is only a waste and does nothing. Every player don't typically get NIL money, anywhere. You pick and choose your Bryce Young. So far most schools are pretty stupid with it. What did UF get with Richardson? Nothing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 99jc View Post
    We have mattress Mack.
    Not really, don't think he cares.