Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Arkansas is out recruiting MSU in our own state!

vCash
    Btw, we will see if OM has deep pockets this recruiting cycle. The Lake Commorant DL likes them but he is getting a lot of "love" from UT, Bama, UGA and others.

vCash
    Justin Brown in the portal.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaceBully View Post
    That has already been tried and it failed miserably.

"Between 1900 and 1930, the Mississippi Legislature introduced bills aiming to relocate, close, or merge the university with Mississippi State University. All such legislation failed. In 1928, then-Gov. Theodore Bilbo proposed to move Ole Miss and Mississippi State universities to 100 acres once occupied by the state insane asylum in Jackson. However, this proposal was not implemented. So, there has been no merger between Ole Miss and Mississippi State University."
    Dang, I didn't realize it was actually discussed at some point.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PMDawg View Post
    This is true for me. Maybe it's because I'm a little older now, maybe it's because of how they've changed the sports, maybe it was Covid, maybe it's the interjection of social issues and politics into sports, or maybe it's all of the above. But, I literally barely even care anymore. I used to donate as much as I could toward the BDC. I used to go to every home game and at least a couple of away games a year. I used to go to a lot of basketball and baseball games. Everything I missed, I watched live (if it was available), or at the very least DVR'd it and watched it ASAP. I have been to one live MSU sporting event since 2019. I donate nothing anymore, and have no plans to change that. I just can't get emotionally or monetarily involved the way I used to anymore.

And it's not just MSU sports or even college sports. I used to count down the days until football season. Like, when July rolled around, I felt like it was close and started getting antsy. During the entire football season, I would watch any game playing on Thursday night. College, NFL, or both. Saturday morning, I was usually driving to an MSU game. The Saturdays I didn't go to a State game, I would get up early, start the grill, and put something on. Then I would wait for Gameday to come on. I would watch the entire show. I would turn on 3 or 4 different games at a time and watch all day while I cooked, hung out with family and friends, etc. We would cook, eat, and watch football until bedtime. Sunday, I would watch 3 or 4 NFL games. I had fantasy football teams out the wazoo. I started playing DFS when that came out. It was literally my entire weekend during the Fall for so many years. Then, obviously, I would watch Monday night football.

Now? I couldn't tell you the last NFL game I even turned on. Is Gameday still on the air? Most Saturdays, I go fishing with my son or my BIL. I usually don't turn on a single game, except ours. I'm actually fine missing our game about half the time. Sometimes, I will DVR our game, but I have multiple games on my DVR that I never even watched. I still like for us to win. I'll follow along on my phone some while I'm doing other stuff. But I just don't care 1% of what I used to.

Long story short? I will never give $1 towards NIL. Am I a bad fan? I guess so. I'm sure a lot of people will write me off as a "fan" at all after reading this. All you younger guys will have to carry the torch for your time now. I did my part, but it's in the past now. Family, life, circumstances, the state of the game, etc. have changed me. I'm sure it will happen to most over time. Personally, I feel like my priorities used to be out of place, and now I'm in a healthier spot in that regard. But to each his own.
    This year I chose to increase my donations to St Jude and MD Anderson. NIL will never get a penny of my money.

vCash
    The 4th highest paid person in the Arkansas football staff / roster is KJ Jefferson
    Says all you need to know

And it?s May 1 , the best thing for everyone to do is not worry About high school recruiting until about a week before signing day ...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Really Clark? View Post
    What has any of that have to do with NIL and recruiting?
    In the NIL Era, where MSU is at a distinct disadvantage, it seems to me that we should look for an unconventional approach, like Leach advocated, that may help us compete.

Of course I am as interested as anyone in seeing how it works out.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maroonthirteen View Post
    Btw, we will see if OM has deep pockets this recruiting cycle. The Lake Commorant DL likes them but he is getting a lot of "love" from UT, Bama, UGA and others.
    He's a 3 years and straight to the NFL guy and will go to the highest bidder. a really high bidder

Senior Member SpaceWranglerDawg's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pancho View Post
    He's a 3 years and straight to the NFL guy and will go to the highest bidder. a really high bidder
    OM has a tendency to take those "sure things" and run them into the ground occasionally...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ari Gold View Post
    The 4th highest paid person in the Arkansas football staff / roster is KJ Jefferson
    Says all you need to know

And it?s May 1 , the best thing for everyone to do is not worry About high school recruiting until about a week before signing day ...
    This

Bennie Brown Know-It-All
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StarkVegasSteve View Post
    No it is called all those recruiters that everyone thought we hired are not actually good recruiters. They are actually average at everything. Maybe Arnett will figure that out and get rid of them.
    Our NIL is the overwhelming problem with our recruiting. Anyone with any sort of connection will tell you that. You are barking up the wrong tree.
    Last edited by Jarius; 05-02-2023 at 09:11 AM.

Bennie Brown Know-It-All
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WPS View Post
    Marcus Woodson.

Arkansas dramatically improved the defensive recruiting staff over the offseason. Odom just wasn?t a very good recruiter.

That said, even I?m surprised at the success we?ve had in Mississippi and I?m still skeptical if we?ll be able to hold on to them the whole way.
    Marcus Woodson has zero to do with a MS kid going to Arkansas. We have a group of recruiters on our staff that have been solid for a very long time and they didn't all of a sudden just forget how to recruit. It's NIL.

Bennie Brown Know-It-All
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TorpedoIPA View Post
    I believe Leach and his system gave MSU a chance with his unconventional approach and an offense that could rely on less than all star players. The Leach experiment was starting to work as we saw with 9 games won in 2022. At Texas Tech and Washington State it took 3 or 4 years to get it really going. Some of you are too impatient.

But anyway, good luck trying to slug it out in the trenches with Alabama, Georgia and even Texas A&M with 3 star players.
    Leach was winning with defense here. His offense was getting worse, not better.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TorpedoIPA View Post
    In the NIL Era, where MSU is at a distinct disadvantage, it seems to me that we should look for an unconventional approach, like Leach advocated, that may help us compete.

Of course I am as interested as anyone in seeing how it works out.
    I mean Mike was an unconventional person and ran his offense like nobody does or would do. When he passed away, that went out the window. We could go triple option, that's unconventional in todays game. It's all a moot point, we will probably recruit around the same as always because that's our budget, IF we catch up some with NIL. What we run is irrelevant in the bigger scheme of things in recruiting, it's about the money and NIL.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarius View Post
    Our NIL is the overwhelming problem with our recruiting. Anyone with any sort of connection will tell you that. You are barking up the wrong tree.
    This^^^
    Football NIL is the single greatest problem in MSU athletics. State fans completely fail to support football. All they care about is grilling in the LFL.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldendawg View Post
    Friend of mine with some connections told me that a person here in MS sports (didn't give his name) has somehow/somewhat reached the level of an "advisor" in these current recruiting times (NIL, etc) to many players' families and has been advising most top MS players to go out of state.
    We need to get Roy D Mercer to give him a call!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    This^^^
    Football NIL is the single greatest problem in MSU athletics. State fans completely fail to support football. All they care about is grilling in the LFL.
    Fat boys got to eat and drink.

vCash
    This^^^
    ...and I really don't blame anyone individually for that. It's a just a numbers issue and a lack of commercial support. Which both stems from history and being located in a rural area with no big businesses.

vCash
    This^^^
    If they are expecting fans to make our NIL competitive, then we really are ****ed. It absolutely must be the big money donors and corporate sponsorship that moves the needle.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeardoMSU View Post
    If they are expecting fans to make our NIL competitive, then we really are ****ed. It absolutely must be the big money donors and corporate sponsorship that moves the needle.
    I'm afraid corporate sponsorship is our issue.

vCash
    This^^^
    Well apparently that's not helping either as currently our baseball team is significantly worse than our football team.