Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Arkansas is out recruiting MSU in our own state!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SilentSteel16 View Post
    Very true, I know personally a guy who dumps well over a million a year into State and he told me to my face “if it gets sent to a player he will withdraw it.” And yes his name is on a building on campus.
    All of us GenX'rs, the ones donating most of the money, are fast losing interest in college sports because of NIL and transfer portal. The only hope I see, is that I know 100% that this isn't sustainable, so when it all crashes down, it will be re-configured in a way that draws people back. Which would mean more competitive.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 662dawg View Post
    I can't believe a bunch of grown men are melting down over recruiting... IN APRIL 🤣 & over a 6' 190 linebacker 😂 he is a good athlete though but geez guys it's APRIL. We are going to finish between 20 & 30 in recruiting this year just like every other year. We to through this EVERY YEAR.
    I cant believe a grown man is using laughing emojis, yet here we are

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DownwardDawg View Post
    All of us GenX'rs, the ones donating most of the money, are fast losing interest in college sports because of NIL and transfer portal. The only hope I see, is that I know 100% that this isn't sustainable, so when it all crashes down, it will be re-configured in a way that draws people back. Which would mean more competitive.
    Us and Ole Miss could also merge. That'd help tremendously.
    "We will have no problem in handling Kentucky."-Turfdawg67. MSU suffered a 27-17 defeat in 2022 with 225 yards in total offense.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    It is a bit surprising to me that we've started off this slowly in recruiting.

Tony Hughes is good. Bumphis I thought would be better than he has although I figured he would be overrated like T-Buck was. Friend has been around. I'm not sure about Schmidt. Turner has a good history and he seems to come through at the end. He's definitely earned the right for me to be patient with him. Brock is pretty good. McBath is good. Both Leach guys ironically. Don't know enough about Dehurst to form an opinion. Mele was OK.
    Friend of mine with some connections told me that a person here in MS sports (didn't give his name) has somehow/somewhat reached the level of an "advisor" in these current recruiting times (NIL, etc) to many players' families and has been advising most top MS players to go out of state.

vCash
    Got to happen. Even NFL and other sports have team salary caps/contracts and this is now nearing minor league pro sports.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldendawg View Post
    Friend of mine with some connections told me that a person here in MS sports (didn't give his name) has somehow/somewhat reached the level of an "advisor" in these current recruiting times (NIL, etc) to many players' families and has been advising most top MS players to go out of state.
    I've heard of a guy that this is happening with. I informed him to cut ties with that relationship.

Our 500th Member
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DEDawg View Post
    I cant believe a grown man is using laughing emojis, yet here we are
    So resort to insults instead the rebuttal? First signs of a coward with no argument.

vCash
    That's probably when the SuperDuper Football Conference will come into it's own. Whether MSU will be a part of it remains to be seen. Not too optimistic at this point, but we'll just have to wait and see how it pans out. If MSU didn't make the SuperDuper conference, I would still support MSU and buy tickets like I have always. There'll be a lot of good competitive teams that won't make it also.

vCash
    This is where it's headed.

Geographic location means nothing to conferences anymore, and all be big names but like 4-5 are now concentrated in just 2 conferences. I think at some point they'll split off from the NCAA and form their own "minor league" or "division 1+" so they can keep the TV money and not be subject to poor schools having a say in how they do things.

Now, will the SEC drag schools like State along with them? Or will they replace us with a more "valuble" program like FSU? Imo it depends on whether they want a punching bag or not. I will NOT watch State sports if we are just going to be the easy W for big programs that spend 3x what we do.

The schools that are left behind will be Utah, Texas Tech, Virginia, etc. I could see them come together and say "enough with this pay for play big TV deal bullshit" and go back to regional conferences with actual "student" requirements on the "student athlete". Basically what FCS is now compared to us.

To me, THAT is a college team. This Portal hired gun BS is just making our university into a minor league.
    Last edited by the_real_MSU_is_us; 04-30-2023 at 03:26 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    Been saying NIL was going to start rearing its ugly head- well, here it is. EVERY prospect now expects to get paid. EVERY one of them
    I guess I still don't understand why some of our fans don't understand this.

We've known this was coming. It's here. Give money to the Bulldog Initiative if you want to do something. But folks have to realize coaches aren't the primary factor in recruiting anymore. We will get kids if we pay them more. The limiting factor in recruiting is money.

Folks can get pissed off, blame the staff and watch us get worse or they can get pissed off and start donating more. What's not going to happen is getting pissed, doing nithing, and expecting us to get better.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MetEdDawg View Post

We've known this was coming. It's here. Give money to the Bulldog Initiative if you want to do something. But folks have to realize coaches aren't the primary factor in recruiting anymore. We will get kids if we pay them more. The limiting factor in recruiting is money.

Folks can get pissed off, blame the staff and watch us get worse or they can get pissed off and start donating more. What's not going to happen is getting pissed, doing nithing, and expecting us to get better.
    Nailed it!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 662dawg View Post
    So resort to insults instead the rebuttal? First signs of a coward with no argument.
    Not an insult. Just an observation.

Our 500th Member
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DEDawg View Post
    Not an insult. Just an observation.
    Gotcha. My observation stands as well.

vCash

This! It's all about who can offer the most money now. A kid can love State and another school can offer twice or three times as much. What would you do? It doesn't matter how good a recruiter or salesman you are if your offer ain't better you ain't closing the deal.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KB21 View Post
    The excuses will be rolling in. I haven?t read the thread, but I imagine someone has tried to blame this on Mike Leach. You won?t see them admit that Arnett screwed up by not retaining most of the previous staff.
    Leach is a reason we are behind. Like it or not. He didn't like it nor do I. But unfortunately, that's where we play. And bc if nil we are going to fall farther behind. But you will say that it's be bc we run the ball too much.
    Last edited by Homedawg; 04-30-2023 at 06:27 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    Leach is a reason we are behind. Like it or not. He didn't like it nor do I. But unfortunately, that's where we play. And bc if nil we are going to fall farther behind. But you will say that it's be bc we run the ball too much.
    Lol. 100%!
    KB will be the one person thinking our coaching staff sucks at recruiting when we are getting out spent by all other SEC teams.

vCash
    Lol. 100%!
    KB will be the one person thinking our coaching staff sucks at recruiting when we are getting out spent by all other SEC teams.
    Yep and I think we all know the old saying "Money talks and bs walks" and that's what college sports is now.

vCash
    Im just ready for the Fall when we win at least 8 as we did last year and the offense is ranked higher than it was in 2022.
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

Senior Member SpaceWranglerDawg's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SilentSteel16 View Post
    Very true, I know personally a guy who dumps well over a million a year into State and he told me to my face ?if it gets sent to a player he will withdraw it.? And yes his name is on a building on campus.
    Most Mississippi families operate with a blue collar budget. They?re not just going to blindly give away significant amounts of money with zero knowledge of how/where it?s used.

We all see where this is going. And it's nowhere beneficial for a school like Mississippi State.

We're tiny in comparison to a lot of schools. Think Purdue, Minnesota, Baylor, Pitt. We're bottom of the SEC, and that's not very advantageous for us in ?pay to play/play to win? times.

There's very little statistical chance of us being able to even come close to the larger schools. We just don?t have the numbers and that means we don't have the donors/money. I'll continue buying my club level tickets until it becomes unbearable, and that takes a lot less for me than it does my father.

It seems as if this is the beginning of the end of Mississippi state football. We?re so far behind it almost makes sense to just blow up football and focus on baseball/basketball.

I hope I'm wrong.

vCash

The ballon will burst at some point. Yes it will appear a few get ahead but it will not last. The economy will not support every team doing it on a large scale. Who knows how it will fall out for conferences.

This will correct, it is coming. Look how the pay the hot coach all the money has worked out. Hasn't got TX, Neb or ND or whoever back to the top has it.