Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Arkansas is out recruiting MSU in our own state!

Senior Member SpaceWranglerDawg's Avatar
    vCash
    Very frustrating time to be a mississippi state fan....

Starting to feel like "the old days" again. I should probably be the good parent and push my kids towards my wife's alma mater rather than mine. They'll thank me one day.
    Last edited by SpaceWranglerDawg; 04-29-2023 at 11:47 AM.

vCash
    They have ruined college sports.

vCash
    We sold all the mobile homes to go to Omaha. We po'.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Really Clark? View Post
    Follow the money, who has it and who don't. We are playing catch up. BTW, you are insinuating they are just beating out us, that's incorrect thinking. These other teams are beating out both us and UM, who claim to have competitive NIL to the league. It's not a MSU issue
    I don't care about ole miss. They are not the stick by which we should measure

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackSailsDawg View Post
    I don't care about ole miss. They are not the stick by which we should measure
    Of course you don't, it disrupts your agenda that it's only a MSU problem with our staff so you can complain instead looking at the answer to the problem...NIL.

vCash
    What recruit did we lose that I'm supposed to be upset about?

Senior Member Lord McBuckethead's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    Been saying NIL was going to start rearing its ugly head- well, here it is. EVERY prospect now expects to get paid. EVERY one of them
    Absolutely. Wouldn?t you?

vCash
    Can't compete with that Walmart money.

vCash
    Seriously, can't Brandon Walker buy us a guy from West Point?

vCash
    State will still get the leftovers due to lack of NIL funds.

vCash
    I can tell you who's not buying a player....my family.

I'm small potatoes though. But the same story is coming from a friend of mine's family (Godparents to my daughter, so legitimate close friends, not cousins aunts coworkers pet groomer), and they are not small potatoes, I'd guess top 5-10 families as far as donations go, and they laughed at me when I asked about NIL. If it's up to alumni to move the needle, we're in for a bumpy road.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord McBuckethead View Post
    Absolutely. Wouldn?t you?
    The disconnect is that NIL was to allow the individual players to market themselves to make money. It's not a pay to sign scheme, even though it's what many said was it would evolve too. And it has. Either that has to be stopped or regulated in some way or nobody can complain about signing classes of their favorite team. Because it strictly will be based on how much you can afford.

vCash
    The disconnect is that NIL was to allow the individual players to market themselves to make money. It's not a pay to sign scheme, even though it's what many said was it would evolve too. And it has. Either that has to be stopped or regulated in some way or nobody can complain about signing classes of their favorite team. Because it strictly will be based on how much you can afford.
    This 100%!

vCash
    Of course you don't, it disrupts your agenda that it's only a MSU problem with our staff so you can complain instead looking at the answer to the problem...NIL.
    You nailed this one. 100%

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackSailsDawg View Post
    That's friggin embarrassing. How does ARKANSAS get 2 top 10 players? Ok, one is listed as 12 currently but he is a 4 star and will be top 10.

The point is that Bama and others will raid that top 10 too. For me, that's not acceptable when you sell us on locking down this state and the reason for those hires.
    The excuses will be rolling in. I haven?t read the thread, but I imagine someone has tried to blame this on Mike Leach. You won?t see them admit that Arnett screwed up by not retaining most of the previous staff.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KB21 View Post
    The excuses will be rolling in. I haven?t read the thread, but I imagine someone has tried to blame this on Mike Leach. You won?t see them admit that Arnett screwed up by not retaining most of the previous staff.
    It is a bit surprising to me that we've started off this slowly in recruiting.

Tony Hughes is good. Bumphis I thought would be better than he has although I figured he would be overrated like T-Buck was. Friend has been around. I'm not sure about Schmidt. Turner has a good history and he seems to come through at the end. He's definitely earned the right for me to be patient with him. Brock is pretty good. McBath is good. Both Leach guys ironically. Don't know enough about Dehurst to form an opinion. Mele was OK.

vCash
    The frustrations with college football in general has me leaning towards more excitement with the saints than state. Never been that way before.

vCash
    Marcus Woodson.

Arkansas dramatically improved the defensive recruiting staff over the offseason. Odom just wasn?t a very good recruiter.

That said, even I?m surprised at the success we?ve had in Mississippi and I?m still skeptical if we?ll be able to hold on to them the whole way.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaceWranglerDawg View Post
    I can tell you who's not buying a player....my family.

I'm small potatoes though. But the same story is coming from a friend of mine's family (Godparents to my daughter, so legitimate close friends, not cousins aunts coworkers pet groomer), and they are not small potatoes, I'd guess top 5-10 families as far as donations go, and they laughed at me when I asked about NIL. If it's up to alumni to move the needle, we're in for a bumpy road.

Very true, I know personally a guy who dumps well over a million a year into State and he told me to my face “if it gets sent to a player he will withdraw it.” And yes his name is on a building on campus.

Our 500th Member
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RezDog7 View Post
    What recruit did we lose that I'm supposed to be upset about?
    Julius Pope, a 6'0 190(very generous measurements) linebacker from South Panola. Good athlete, but is a linebacker in college. Can't play safety in the SEC.