Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Path to a Regional

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    The real question is does a winning season with no postseason keep Lemonis in place.
    Winning seasons don’t mean shit if you aren’t in the tournament. We aren’t Southern Miss or someone. We should be in contention for a National seed/host every single year. We shouldn’t even be having this conversation about being in the tourney.

Now to answer your question, I don’t think we fire him even if we miss. I think we clean house with Foxhall and maybe even Gotro. I think Lemonis will be held one more year, whether we like it or not. (For reference, I would prolly fire him, but I also would have fired Foxhall Monday morning.)

vCash
    The real question is does a winning season with no postseason keep Lemonis in place.
    He might get to stay in that scenario, but some staff changes would probably be required for him to stay.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Leroy Jenkins View Post
    Perfect. This team ain't going to the SEC tournament.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GolfDawg View Post
    As unlikely as it may be, I think this is what has to happen for us to have any hope of making the postseason:

2 wins vs USC. This will be hard, but may be possible with Loftin in the rotation plus some guys having some good outings (Holcombe, KC, Nixon back, Cade?). The question is can the coaches figure out how to make reasonable pitching moves and can the infield play defense? Yet to be seen. We are due for a good series though.

Sweep Alabama. Not easy, but we will have to sweep somebody, and they?re probably our best shot left on the schedule.

Win 2/3 against Ole Miss. If we take care of USC and Bama as I?ve outlined, I actually like our chances of this because we will finally believe in ourselves. I also won?t be against our complete ownership of Ole Miss until that streak ends.

That gets us to 7-8. Then we have to go .500 the rest of the year which is a tall order in of itself. But hey, baseball is a weird sport. Could happen! Hail State.
    Whatever you are smoking, pass it over man. I mean you do realize we are giving up 15 freakin' runs per game in the SEC so far? Meanwhile, we've yet to score over 7 runs in an SEC game. The only way we will go to a regional is if our players buy tickets to one.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by basedog View Post
    I hate to say but it's iffy we break the streak this weekend. I'd also wager all my vCash we want sweep anyone and I'd say the odds are against winning a series. I sure hope I'm wrong.
    I'll agree we won't sweep a sole. But we will win a series. But this team isn't making post season unless something happens real good real fast. Just no positive mojo to righten the ship.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by basedog View Post
    I hate to say but it's iffy we break the streak this weekend. I'd also wager all my vCash we want sweep anyone and I'd say the odds are against winning a series. I sure hope I'm wrong.
    I think MSU wins a game this weekend, maybe two.

The gamecocks have a better record than they are really playing. They have 3 one-run-game wins in the SEC. Sure, they deserved to win. But Vandy is a machine compared to South Carolina.

Not saying MSU will dominate and win. Just think MSU can win a game and SC will not scare the Bulldogs this week.

Hunt looks better, Nixon is back, Cijnije has two SEC starts, Holcombe won't get a Mound visit, Gartman is now a one-cycle-picter, Yntema experiment is over, Dohm back to the pen, the freshmen have collegiate experience to work with.

If Lemons and Foxy don't throw Yntema, Stinnett, Hardin, or Davis, that's 10 to 16 runs that South Carolina won't score.

Also, you have Hujsak starting now, Mershon gives MSU an extra quality AB when he PH for Foysthe, Hines is swatting, Clark is hitting, and Highfill is due 8 cheap hits for the bad luck last week. Maybe Dakota Jordan is settled and learned something from Goat. Bryce Chance is getting better and better too.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Federalist Engineer View Post
    I think MSU wins a game this weekend, maybe two.

The gamecocks have a better record than they are really playing. They have 3 one-run-game wins in the SEC. Sure, they deserved to win. But Vandy is a machine compared to South Carolina.

Not saying MSU will dominate and win. Just think MSU can win a game and SC will not scare the Bulldogs this week.

Hunt looks better, Nixon is back, Cijnije has two SEC starts, Holcombe won't get a Mound visit, Gartman is now a one-cycle-picter, Yntema experiment is over, Dohm back to the pen, the freshmen have collegiate experience to work with.

If Lemons and Foxy don't throw Yntema, Stinnett, Hardin, or Davis, that's 10 to 16 runs that South Carolina won't score.

Also, you have Hujsak starting now, Mershon gives MSU an extra quality AB when he PH for Foysthe, Hines is swatting, Clark is hitting, and Highfill is due 8 cheap hits for the bad luck last week. Maybe Dakota Jordan is settled and learned something from Goat. Bryce Chance is getting better and better too.
    Managing the staff better needs to happen.

We assume Loftin is starting- and he may. But he also might pitch in relief. We're a better team with Dohm in the bullpen.

We need to start Loo, Loftin, and Holcombe.

Dohm, Gartman, Hunt, and Nixon need to be our main relief guys.

If we get Cade Smith back we can move Holcombe back to the bullpen.

vCash
    Managing the staff better needs to happen.

We assume Loftin is starting- and he may. But he also might pitch in relief. We're a better team with Dohm in the bullpen.

We need to start Loo, Loftin, and Holcombe.

Dohm, Gartman, Hunt, and Nixon need to be our main relief guys.

If we get Cade Smith back we can move Holcombe back to the bullpen.
    Doing smart things can possibly get MSU to double digit wins in the SEC. Then MSU can avoid a scandalously bad SEC record and the AD can strike like lightning with a new staff in May and keep the 2024 recruiting in decent shape.

vCash
    Looks like Dohm is starting on saturday.

Senior Member Lord McBuckethead's Avatar
    vCash
    Might as well say, win every game we play. About as likely as getting one win this weekend.

Senior Member Lord McBuckethead's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaceWranglerDawg View Post
    Lol....this team isn't going to a regional. This team likely isn't going to Hoover.

If you honestly think we have a path to a regional based off what we've seen, the maroon colored glasses are working as intended.
    I mean, there is a path, we just are not going to do it. But if we did, that is what we need to do our better.

vCash
    As frustrating as this team has been, I might want to see what Lemonis does with a new pitching coach before we officially pull the plug on him. I wish we had got rid of Foxhall before SEC play started. Lemonis not making that decision may be the reason he ends up getting fired. We need to win series against Ole Miss, aTm and Alabama to avoid a disaster record. The numbers don’t show it, but I think we can win those 3 series along with pulling out a game against Ark and Auburn and USCe. If he can do that give him 1 more year with full staff changes. If not, he probably has to go

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GolfDawg View Post
    As unlikely as it may be, I think this is what has to happen for us to have any hope of making the postseason:

2 wins vs USC. This will be hard, but may be possible with Loftin in the rotation plus some guys having some good outings (Holcombe, KC, Nixon back, Cade?). The question is can the coaches figure out how to make reasonable pitching moves and can the infield play defense? Yet to be seen. We are due for a good series though.

Sweep Alabama. Not easy, but we will have to sweep somebody, and they?re probably our best shot left on the schedule.

Win 2/3 against Ole Miss. If we take care of USC and Bama as I?ve outlined, I actually like our chances of this because we will finally believe in ourselves. I also won?t be against our complete ownership of Ole Miss until that streak ends.

That gets us to 7-8. Then we have to go .500 the rest of the year which is a tall order in of itself. But hey, baseball is a weird sport. Could happen! Hail State.
    Im guessing you didn't watch Tuesday nights game "bruh, we suck"

vCash
    You might want to start with just getting into the SEC tournament.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Dawg View Post
    You might want to start with just getting into the SEC tournament.
    That should be foremost in their minds at this point because that will be a monumental task. With 24 conference games left we would need to be about .500 in those remaining games to make Hoover. That ain't happening.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Leroy Jenkins View Post
    That?s always a good one.

A more achievable goal is to figure out a way to avoid finishing dead last.

vCash
    I wonder if Vandy football fans have this discussion (path to a bowl) when they are 1-5? Or do they just accept fate at that point?

vCash
    Gonna have to go 14-10 the rest of the way in league play. Best chance to make a dent in that is the next four weekends, but even then you are gonna need some wins in May when the schedule is brutal. Probably need two wins this weekend to even begin thinking about making a Regional.

What saved us in 2018 was that we somehow went 9-1 against the three best teams in the league (Florida, Ole Miss, Arkansas). Going to require some more out of nowhere good weekends for this team to make a turnaround.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Falcon View Post
    Gonna have to go 14-10 the rest of the way in league play. Best chance to make a dent in that is the next four weekends, but even then you are gonna need some wins in May when the schedule is brutal. Probably need two wins this weekend to even begin thinking about making a Regional.

What saved us in 2018 was that we somehow went 9-1 against the three best teams in the league (Florida, Ole Miss, Arkansas). Going to require some more out of nowhere good weekends for this team to make a turnaround.
    Make that 14-9 now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gtowndawg View Post
    I wonder if Vandy football fans have this discussion (path to a bowl) when they are 1-5? Or do they just accept fate at that point?
    Lemonis has turned us into vandy football.