Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Mississippi State Baseball Paradox

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    I don't want 9 Hunter stovall's I love the kid. But 9 Hunter stovalls gets your ass whipped in this league.
    This.... Your gonna have to sign the big time arms and get them to school like we did with Loftin, Holcmb, and Lo. Thats what you build off of. Now you sign a couple more next year, and then fill your bullpen with the decent arms that throw strikes and your set there.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    I don't want 9 Hunter stovall's I love the kid. But 9 Hunter stovalls gets your ass whipped in this league.
    His point, I believe, in saying ?i want 9 Stovalls? is referring to having 9 with his grittiness and toughness

vCash
    I agree with the general sentiment here and would take it beyond baseball to MSU sports in general, especially football.

We have a segment of our fanbase who are afraid of success. They don't necessarily want us to lose, but they certainly don't want to do what it takes to win. These are the people who say things like:

-- "I don't want us to be ranked because we play better when we're the underdog."
    --"We don't deserve a bowl game [or an NCAA tournament bid or a top seed in a regional]".
    --"We shouldn't sign Jeffrey Simmons after what he did."

They are the first to advocate kicking a player off the team when he does something stupid, as if they get some sort of individual moral credit by making our team worse. And then we're shocked when we get no respect in the media or the polls.

They'd rather get patted on the head by other SEC schools for being good little losers and for being nice hosts than bludgeon the other team on the diamond, the court, or the gridiron.

vCash
    winning is the most important thing to the overwhelming majority. Other things matter some too, but for the overwhelming majority, we want to win regardless of us being nice or mean or any other emotion.

vCash
    Dohm has very little movement on his fastball and does not have a third pitch. He is not an SEC starter. I am not saying he is not good pitcher. I believe he may be our best pitcher. But just like Landon in 21, he had two pitches. He was our best pitcher but he could not start. And Landon had movement on his fastball. Saying all that, we do not have the luxury of waiting to put Dohm in and hoping we have a lead. So we have to use him early. In a perfect world we get Cade back, put him on Saturday and Loftin/Gartman on Sunday and our weekends can look like this:

Fri: Loo, Dohm, Nixon
    Sat: Smith, Pico, Hunt
    Sun: Loftin/Gartman, Gartman/Loftin, Nixon

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StarkVegasSteve View Post
    Dohm has very little movement on his fastball and does not have a third pitch. He is not an SEC starter. I am not saying he is not good pitcher. I believe he may be our best pitcher. But just like Landon in 21, he had two pitches. He was our best pitcher but he could not start. And Landon had movement on his fastball. Saying all that, we do not have the luxury of waiting to put Dohm in and hoping we have a lead. So we have to use him early. In a perfect world we get Cade back, put him on Saturday and Loftin/Gartman on Sunday and our weekends can look like this:

At this point, if I?m Pico, I?m redshirting

vCash

That is a pretty competitve pitching group I think. However 4 in that group haven't been there most of year and 2 are freshmen. That group when healthy should be able to compete.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sandjunky View Post
    At this point, if I?m Pico, I?m redshirting
    I've heard rumors not to expect him back this year.

vCash

Agree on lack of movement. Pitches on the same plane too often too.
    But I will say his change up looked great in the first on Sunday. Arm side run to it and down at 89-90. Got two swing and misses. Then we just abandoned it