Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Portal Targets/Jans

vCash
    Yeah but in Beard?s case the charges were dropped, so you have to take that into consideration. In Freeze?s case, outside of the cheating which Pearl was doing at UT, no criminal charges were filed. Everybody ?cheats?, but if there were criminal charges filed and they went to court that?s different. We hired JWS, and he had NCAA baggage. I get what you?re saying, but I think if Beard went to court I?m not sure OM hires him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PGHBulldogBG View Post
    I have always been a huge Jans fan since we hired him and I still think he is a home run hire and will do great things at State. At the same time, nobody can argue the fact that Beard has performed on a much higher level to date. That does not mean Jans can?t do the same thing after a few years of developing a program. Beards incident carries a much higher baggage level though and much more criticism amongst the sports world. The thing people fail to realize is that schools no longer care about that stuff. If that was the case, Freeze would not be coaching at Auburn and people would not be trying to rumor Art Briles for jobs.
    That's Art and Kendall's representation starting every last one of those rumors. Right when Kendall was hired out here at TCU I had heard some rumors that some were trying to push for Briles to get an off field consulting role. The next day that guy told me that you would've thought they were trying to hire Ted Bundy with the backlash they were getting.....and TCU is private. Briles got caught up in all the Me Too stuff and it sank him. I'd hire Art tomorrow if the baggage didn't exist. He's one of the brightest offensive minds in football, but no athletic dept is ready for the shitstorm that will be unloaded on them when you pull the trigger on that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StarkVegasSteve View Post
    That's Art and Kendall's representation starting every last one of those rumors. Right when Kendall was hired out here at TCU I had heard some rumors that some were trying to push for Briles to get an off field consulting role. The next day that guy told me that you would've thought they were trying to hire Ted Bundy with the backlash they were getting.....and TCU is private. Briles got caught up in all the Me Too stuff and it sank him. I'd hire Art tomorrow if the baggage didn't exist. He's one of the brightest offensive minds in football, but no athletic dept is ready for the shitstorm that will be unloaded on them when you pull the trigger on that.
    Yep, even Grambling couldn't withstand it. He may always be too toxic at this point.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PGHBulldogBG View Post
    I have always been a huge Jans fan since we hired him and I still think he is a home run hire and will do great things at State. At the same time, nobody can argue the fact that Beard has performed on a much higher level to date. That does not mean Jans can’t do the same thing after a few years of developing a program. Beards incident carries a much higher baggage level though and much more criticism amongst the sports world. The thing people fail to realize is that schools no longer care about that stuff. If that was the case, Freeze would not be coaching at Auburn and people would not be trying to rumor Art Briles for jobs.
    Good post, I agree completely

vCash
    So are gonna get a transfer or roll it back with last year's team plus signees?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    So are gonna get a transfer or roll it back with last year's team plus signees?
    We signed 3 high school guys and 2 Juco players so I think we still have 2 spots available depending on what Tolu and McNair do, it may be more.

I hope Jans goes and gets a proven scorer or two out of the portal

vCash
    Any word on filling our remaining 2/3 spots yet? I see alot of good players we were on committing elsewhere.

People got mad the last time I brought up Beard and his recruiting at Ole Miss but he just got Jamarion Sharp from Western Kentucky out of the portal. For people unfamiliar with him he is 7'5" but can move, he is a game changer defensively averaging over 4 blocks a game

I know we don't have a ton of spots open but we need to fill the open ones with talent. Waiting on Tolu's decision isn't helping much either

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NCMSTFAN View Post
    Any word on filling our remaining 2/3 spots yet? I see alot of good players we were on committing elsewhere.

People got mad the last time I brought up Beard and his recruiting at Ole Miss but he just got Jamarion Sharp from Western Kentucky out of the portal. For people unfamiliar with him he is 7'5" but can move, he is a game changer defensively averaging over 4 blocks a game

I know we don't have a ton of spots open but we need to fill the open ones with talent. Waiting on Tolu's decision isn't helping much either
    Beard has got 3 4-star transfers now. Jans better step up...

vCash
    May not have wanted to come back but I really wished we could have got Stans back as an assistant to help Jans with recruiting

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Beard has got 3 4-star transfers now. Jans better step up...
    Exactly, I think Beard and Jans can both coach really well but Beard is a really good recruiter and Jans scares me in that area.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by civildawg View Post
    May not have wanted to come back but I really wished we could have got Stans back as an assistant to help Jans with recruiting
    Stans is a heck of a recruiter himself but would he come back to work under someone else after being HC at State?

vCash
    I would love for Stans to be a recruiting coordinator for Jans but just make his job solely off the court. And pay Stans well to do it. I wouldn’t want him infecting Jans ability to floor coach though

vCash
    Stans is a heck of a recruiter himself but would he come back to work under someone else after being HC at State?
    Doesn't matter now. He's off to Memphis

vCash
    The transfers Beard has gotten are solid, but I don?t think they are elite.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StarkVegasSteve View Post
    Doesn't matter now. He's off to Memphis
    Wow, I didn't know that.. he will help them

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ZedFedder View Post
    The transfers Beard has gotten are solid, but I don?t think they are elite.
    Agree they aren't elite but they are better than the Jamel Horton, DeShawn Davis, Eric Reed, Will Mcnair types. I'd take four high major 4 star players anyday.

I'm just worried Jans is going to wait too late like last year and we end up getting the leftover portal guys. As of now unless one of these JUCO guys he is bringing in are really good, we are still very limited offensively, especially at the guard positions.

vCash
    Agree they aren't elite but they are better than the Jamel Horton, DeShawn Davis, Eric Reed, Will Mcnair types. I'd take four high major 4 star players anyday.

I'm just worried Jans is going to wait too late like last year and we end up getting the leftover portal guys. As of now unless one of these JUCO guys he is bringing in are really good, we are still very limited offensively, especially at the guard positions.
    I agree with you there. I think Davis was a good get, and McNair was way better than I thought he would be.

vCash
    What's the deadline for portal players to choose a new school, May 15th? Time is winding down and we need proven scorers at the D1 level. It's becoming a concern.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by EdwardDrayton View Post
    What's the deadline for portal players to choose a new school, May 15th? Time is winding down and we need proven scorers at the D1 level. It's becoming a concern.
    May 11th is the deadline to withdraw so we have about 2 weeks. I agree its somewhat concerning especially seeing alot of our top targets are committing elsewhere