Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mardye Mcdole passed away! RIP!

vCash

Mardye Mcdole passed away! RIP!

Mardye Mcdole was one of my Dawg Heroes as a teenager! A great Dawg! Prayers for his family! RIP, Mardye!

vCash
    Talked to one of former teammates and he mentioned that he had been in bad shape with medical issues.

vCash
    He was a good one. He?s 5 years younger than me.

vCash
    wow, sorry to hear that. I was at State when he played!

vCash
    Oh man. That's tough news. Think he was still coaching somewhere over in Mobile? He's my age or close to it. Damn. You history guys probably know better but think he was probably the best receiver we had ever had up to that point?

vCash
    Definitely one of the most explosive offensive players in State's history. Like 1,050 yards receiving in 1978. Stayed with a team that then converted to wishbone with a new coach in 1979 and yards were down to like 400. Converted to Wingback and was a multi threat rushing and receiving in 1980 9-3 year. Could really fly!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by EdwardDrayton View Post
    Oh man. That's tough news. Think he was still coaching somewhere over in Mobile? He's my age or close to it. Damn. You history guys probably know better but think he was probably the best receiver we had ever had up to that point?
    Yes he was!

Mardye and Glenn Young in Leachs offense would've been heck on defense's!

He was still coaching at Murphy HS
    Last edited by Commercecomet24; 03-28-2023 at 02:48 PM.

vCash
    First State receiver to break 1000 yards receiving in a season. As a young boy, I idolized and loved watching David Smith and Sammy Milner at WR also. In those days a QB had at great year if he even threw for 1000 yards total! David had 987 yards his SR year and Sammy 909 his SO year. Don't forget they only played 10 regular season games in those years. Their QB, Tommy Pharr was special and we threw a whole lot but won very seldom. Prayers to the MCDole family.
    Last edited by Goldendawg; 03-28-2023 at 03:26 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldendawg View Post
    First State receiver to break 1000 yards receiving in a season. As a young boy, I idolized and loved watching David Smith and Sammy Milner at WR also. In those days a QB had at great year if he even threw for 1000 yards total! David had 987 yards his SR year and Sammy 909 his SO year. Don't forget they only played 10 regular season games in those years. Their QB, Tommy Pharr was special and we threw a whole lot but won very seldom. Prayers to the MCDole family.
    Great memories. Tommy Pharr as a freshman was a running QB, then the next two years he was in the 10 as far as passing stats were. Smith and Milner were great!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Extendedcab View Post
    wow, sorry to hear that. I was at State when he played!
    Me too. Sad news for sure.

vCash
    Thoughts and prayers to family and friends.

One of the all time great players at MSU.

vCash
    Growing up on Biloxi we heard a lot about him in HS from the Mobile TV reports. I then followed him to MSU and loved seeing him even in the wingbone, tremendously fast.

vCash
    Loved Mardye! RIP!
    MSU = Check Collectors

vCash
    Was at State during his early years in Starkville. Interviewed him for the Reflector and he seemed like a good guy. Great talent. RIP Mr. McDole.

vCash
    My brother had a McDoyle tear away Jersey from a game that he treasured. RIP

vCash
    Dang, another childhood hero gone way too soon. Personally, I think he's the best receiver in MSU history. Well, he and Moulds.
    "The QB and the receiver weren't on the same page there, but hey its only week eleven". (Jack Cristil)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog View Post
    Dang, another childhood hero gone way too soon. Personally, I think he's the best receiver in MSU history. Well, he and Moulds.
    I agree with this 100%! Seems like just yesterday I was watching him play.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrydawg View Post
    My brother had a McDoyle tear away Jersey from a game that he treasured. RIP
    Those tear away jerseys were something else. Remember some players, WR's & RB's, left in nothing but their shoulder pads at the end of the play.

vCash
    I played on a summer session intramural softball team with him in Center, JO Doss was at short and J Cooks was our pitcher ...we did pretty well... they were competitive at everything they did ....

vCash
    This was when dawgs were ?DOGS?.....I know most young fellows don?t know but he is a legend. Besides David Smith he was the first GREAT DOG receiver I remember.....Aggressive, catch the ball with your hands, go for the ball, block your *** off receiver. Oh to hear Jack say Marr...DEE.....McDole just a few more times. Rest easy MD......Also when the uni?s were a thing of simplistic beauty.