Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 31

Thread: Siary Tuesday. Loftin to weekend.

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    6,220
    vCash
    2610

    Siary Tuesday. Loftin to weekend.

    I like it.
    Everyone wants to be a beast...until its time to do what beasts do.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Covington, Louisiana
    Posts
    2,313
    vCash
    700722589
    Baseball as of late is like football before the Kang. win out of conference and loose in conference games, for the most part.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Cooterpoot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    11,785
    vCash
    52714
    Had to be done. Hope it works.

  4. #4
    Senior Member msstate7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    72,645
    vCash
    10439
    These 2 freshmen pitchers are all that can save lemonis imo

  5. #5
    Senior Member KB21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    2,736
    vCash
    3200
    Don?t forget that Dohm and Holcombe are both sophomores. That?s our four best arms.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    2,670
    vCash
    3100
    Get someone competent who can coach and hold on to those guys, and we may be okay.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Commercecomet24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    25,791
    vCash
    3100
    Might as well go for it we don't have really have anything to lose and at the very least they'll be seasoned for next year.

  8. #8
    Senior Member BeardoMSU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The gettin' place
    Posts
    19,018
    vCash
    53100
    What happened to our older guys? Did Fox ruin them or what?

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    12,063
    vCash
    427176943
    Quote Originally Posted by BeardoMSU View Post
    What happened to our older guys? Did Fox ruin them or what?
    Dam Beardo! You have asked the sixtyfour thousand question and a very valid one. Name me one pitcher who has gotten better under him/

  10. #10
    Senior Member Todd4State's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    40,727
    vCash
    3700
    Quote Originally Posted by BeardoMSU View Post
    What happened to our older guys? Did Fox ruin them or what?
    Well...just going off of opening weekend guys...

    Cade got sick.

    KC Hunt is simply better out of the bullpen

    Gartman is potentially losing his spot although we're not helping him by asking him to go through the lineup four times either.

  11. #11
    Senior Member Todd4State's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    40,727
    vCash
    3700
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    Might as well go for it we don't have really have anything to lose and at the very least they'll be seasoned for next year.
    Exactly. Give them SEC weekend experience.

    If I were in their shoes I would start Loftin, Loo and Holcombe. Although if Holcombe is out there questioning Foxhall on the mound I kind of of doubt they'll start him.

    That would allow us to use Dohm, Gartman, Hunt, and Nixon out of the bullpen.

    If they decide to start Cade Smith then we could use Holcombe out of the bullpen but I think Holcombe is better as a starter based on what I've seen.

    We have something to work with- we just leave them in the game too long.

  12. #12
    Senior Member KB21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    2,736
    vCash
    3200
    My preference is still to start Dohm, Holcombe, and maybe piggyback Loo and Loftin.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    6,220
    vCash
    2610
    I'd like to see Dohm, Cade, Lo in that order. Loftin until Cade gets back. Assuming Nixon can come in at ent end.
    Everyone wants to be a beast...until its time to do what beasts do.

  14. #14
    Senior Member Commercecomet24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    25,791
    vCash
    3100
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Exactly. Give them SEC weekend experience.

    If I were in their shoes I would start Loftin, Loo and Holcombe. Although if Holcombe is out there questioning Foxhall on the mound I kind of of doubt they'll start him.

    That would allow us to use Dohm, Gartman, Hunt, and Nixon out of the bullpen.

    If they decide to start Cade Smith then we could use Holcombe out of the bullpen but I think Holcombe is better as a starter based on what I've seen.

    We have something to work with- we just leave them in the game too long.
    Outside of the walks my biggest complaint is how long we've left guys in. We've had some guys have some good outings but instead of pulling them we've left them in an inning to long and close games have become blowouts and also has to be deflating to a pitcher. Latest example, Gartman pitches 5 strong inning and its 3-1. I would've pulled him after 5 but i don't have a problem leaving him into to start the 6th. When the first guy reaches though you go get him and keep it close and he leaves feeling good. And most certainly you pull him after the hr when it's 5-1. Instead we leave him out there to give up 4 more hits and 3 more runs and it's pretty much game over and Gartman feels terrible. His velo was Down 4-5 mph that inning. That's just the latest example but there have been many this year. And I get that it's easy for me to be an armchair coach but still....

    JMO

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    6,220
    vCash
    2610
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    Outside of the walks my biggest complaint is how long we've left guys in. We've had some guys have some good outings but instead of pulling them we've left them in an inning to long and close games have become blowouts and also has to be deflating to a pitcher. Latest example, Gartman pitches 5 strong inning and its 3-1. I would've pulled him after 5 but i don't have a problem leaving him into to start the 6th. When the first guy reaches though you go get him and keep it close and he leaves feeling good. And most certainly you pull him after the hr when it's 5-1. Instead we leave him out there to give up 4 more hits and 3 more runs and it's pretty much game over and Gartman feels terrible. His velo was Down 4-5 mph that inning. That's just the latest example but there have been many this year. And I get that it's easy for me to be an armchair coach but still....

    JMO
    Lemonis said he's left guys in too long. He said the issue is that he believes the guy on the mound is still better than anyone he could bring in. Basically no confidence in the pen.
    Everyone wants to be a beast...until its time to do what beasts do.

  16. #16
    Senior Member StarkVegasSteve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    6,775
    vCash
    98074
    Quote Originally Posted by parabrave View Post
    Dam Beardo! You have asked the sixtyfour thousand question and a very valid one. Name me one pitcher who has gotten better under him/
    I really can only name one, Jared Liebelt.

    I think the most interesting thing will be to see how our pitchers look next year with a different PC. If they look the same or only slightly better then it is obvious this staff could never recruit and it really was all the talent that Andy and John brought in that won the National Championship. If they look night and day then we truly know it was Foxhall and his lack of development

  17. #17
    Senior Member StarkVegasSteve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    6,775
    vCash
    98074
    Quote Originally Posted by Leroy Jenkins View Post
    Lemonis said he's left guys in too long. He said the issue is that he believes the guy on the mound is still better than anyone he could bring in. Basically no confidence in the pen.
    In his defense, the pen really has not given us anything to be confident about in the last 13 months.

  18. #18
    Senior Member Commercecomet24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    25,791
    vCash
    3100
    Quote Originally Posted by Leroy Jenkins View Post
    Lemonis said he's left guys in too long. He said the issue is that he believes the guy on the mound is still better than anyone he could bring in. Basically no confidence in the pen.
    Yeah but you still can't leave guys out there who are getting shelled, and that philosophy hasn't worked this year or last. You have to try something else. He left hunt in with Dohm ready the first game against uk and it cost us the game. Dohm>Hunt.

    And that may have been true last year but we have some better arms in the pen this year. Hunt was ready to come in the 6th for Gartman and we didn't bring him in until it was to late.

    We had Hunt, Loftin, Nixon, Holcombe and Tapper in the pen. Why let Landon meltdown?
    Last edited by Commercecomet24; 03-28-2023 at 11:03 AM.

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Corinth
    Posts
    36
    vCash
    3100
    Well, if the guy on the mound is better than the guy he could bring in from the pen, then why are we moving guys from the pen to be starters?

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    6,220
    vCash
    2610
    Quote Originally Posted by CrosscityDawg View Post
    Well, if the guy on the mound is better than the guy he could bring in from the pen, then why are we moving guys from the pen to be starters?

    Paraphrasing.... he said it was to keep from trying to not lose the series at the cost of winning the game.
    Everyone wants to be a beast...until its time to do what beasts do.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Disclaimer: Elitedawgs is a privately owned and operated forum that is managed by alumni of Mississippi State University. This website is in no way affiliated with the Mississippi State University, The Southeastern Conference (SEC) or the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA). The views and opinions expressed herein are strictly those of the post author and may not reflect the views of other members of this forum or elitedawgs.com. The interactive nature of the elitedawgs.com forums makes it impossible for elitedawgs.com to assume responsibility for any of the content posted at this site. Ideas, thoughts, suggestion, comments, opinions, advice and observations made by participants at elitedawgs.com are not endorsed by elitedawgs.com
Elitedawgs: A Mississippi State Fan Forum, Mississippi State Football, Mississippi State Basketball, Mississippi State Baseball, Mississippi State Athletics. Mississippi State message board.