Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Outlook Moving Forward

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by viverlibre View Post
    That's just a dumb take, we'd have people coming in out of the wood work to do it. Just look at the amount of former major leaguers we have around the program. And that's only if go-throw wouldn't take it (and i bet he would).

The season is already ruined, it's not going to get much worse if we go ahead a turn the corner now.
    No we would not. What coach is going to come for 60 days? The answer is none. Coaches do not give one iota of a crap about fan support, facilities, etc when they will only be here 2 months. I have made this point now two or three times but I guess I will make it again, no one that is retired or not in the coaching profession is going to take on that amount of stress and give up their time for zero return for 60 days. And no established coach is going to leave their position for 60 days when they can just wait out the rest of the year and go for the full time PC job in June. Why would you want to blemish your resume with this train wreck. We are not paying 6 figures for 60 days. I imagine it would be very low 5 figures.

Whether you like it or not Scott Foxhall will be the pitching coach until May 20. Then he will be let go.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pancho View Post
    Yes. We won't be returning after the upcoming USCE weekend
    Friend of mine feels the same. Big baseball fan & season ticket holder who also has a home in Starkville, but has to drive 3 hours to baseball games. Says not planing to go to anymore games this season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldendawg View Post
    Friend of mine feels the same. Big baseball fan & season ticket holder who also has a home in Starkville, but has to drive 3 hours to baseball games. Says not planing to go to anymore games this season.
    The outfield is still fun.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    The outfield is still fun.
    Yep. There will still be 3-4000 there every home weekend to perform in the drink fest and see just how bad the team can perform. And there will still be the 1000 or so chairback owners who will come and eat peanuts and talk about gardening and their trip to see the grandkids and about so&so in the church and applaud politely when someone hits a solo homerun down by 6 runs when that same batter struck out 2 innings ago with the bases loaded or grounded into a 6-4-3 DP with the Bases Loaded. I don?t remember how many Homeruns State hit last year but I?m pretty sure they hit more than half of them with the bases empty and the same guys left a small village on the base paths their other 3 ABs. Same crap is happening this year too. Check ho many solos this team has hit. I bet it is over half the total. You know what. A 2 run single is more valuable than a Solo HR. You know how I know? I lernt rithmatik in skool!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StarkVegasSteve View Post
    No we would not. What coach is going to come for 60 days? The answer is none. Coaches do not give one iota of a crap about fan support, facilities, etc when they will only be here 2 months. I have made this point now two or three times but I guess I will make it again, no one that is retired or not in the coaching profession is going to take on that amount of stress and give up their time for zero return for 60 days. And no established coach is going to leave their position for 60 days when they can just wait out the rest of the year and go for the full time PC job in June. Why would you want to blemish your resume with this train wreck. We are not paying 6 figures for 60 days. I imagine it would be very low 5 figures.

Whether you like it or not Scott Foxhall will be the pitching coach until May 20. Then he will be let go.
    Sir, I'm not sure how to dumb this down any further. An interim coach is not who you are looking at for the perm replacement coach. An interim is someone like Cadillac Williams, a seat filler to get us to the end of season. Someone who will provide a little spark and brief moment of fresh air. I'd bet my house that go-throw would accept the interim tag. If Raffy wasn't tainted by roids, he'd do it in a second. Will Clark is an (not on the field) assistant with the Giants, he may do it. Bruce Castoria would probably do it. Heck Roy Oswalt might do it. For folks who love baseball getting a change to be the HC at MSU for two months would be a dream come true. Baseball coaching is not so stressfull that coaches are dropping dead in the dugout on the reg.

vCash
    I really don't know what to do at this point. It's obvious we are in for another long season and some decisions that will need to be made at season's end. What do we think is the best option moving forward? Do we keep trying to salvage what we can and try to show improvement or do we just blow it up now, play the freshman, and take our lumps.
    Prediction? In the words of MrT - Pain

vCash
    Sir, I'm not sure how to dumb this down any further. An interim coach is not who you are looking at for the perm replacement coach. An interim is someone like Cadillac Williams, a seat filler to get us to the end of season. Someone who will provide a little spark and brief moment of fresh air. I'd bet my house that go-throw would accept the interim tag. If Raffy wasn't tainted by roids, he'd do it in a second. Will Clark is an (not on the field) assistant with the Giants, he may do it. Bruce Castoria would probably do it. Heck Roy Oswalt might do it. For folks who love baseball getting a change to be the HC at MSU for two months would be a dream come true. Baseball coaching is not so stressfull that coaches are dropping dead in the dugout on the reg.
    First off I am talking about the pitching coach. Not HC. If you want to hire an interim HC then hell go get Jay Powell or get Thomas Berkerey. Those others though,

Raffy is not moving to MS.
    Clark is not moving to MS.
    Bruce Castoria has never been a coach
    And I doubt Roy could be pulled away from 44 Prime Happy Hour.

Now if you want to have an honest conversation on who you could possibly hire as an interim HC, which again IS NOT HAPPENING, I think the list begins and ends with Gautreau. And just for everyone, on the 1% chance we make that kind of move, his name is spelled JAKE GAUTREAU. Not Gotro, Goatrough, Geautreaux, or the countless other ways I have seen it misspelled.

vCash
    First off I am talking about the pitching coach. Not HC. If you want to hire an interim HC then hell go get Jay Powell or get Thomas Berkerey. Those others though,

Raffy is not moving to MS.
    Clark is not moving to MS.
    Bruce Castoria has never been a coach
    And I doubt Roy could be pulled away from 44 Prime Happy Hour.

Now if you want to have an honest conversation on who you could possibly hire as an interim HC, which again IS NOT HAPPENING, I think the list begins and ends with Gautreau. And just for everyone, on the 1% chance we make that kind of move, his name is spelled JAKE GAUTREAU. Not Gotro, Goatrough, Geautreaux, or the countless other ways I have seen it misspelled.
    So, you've talked to these people? Being an interim for two months is not "moving to MS," you do that from a hotel room or ABNB. Good gosh almighty, you need to stick with storm chasing.

vCash
    I just wonder what the convo will resemble in 2 or 3 weeks when this loss column is up in the twenties.

vCash
    So, you've talked to these people? Being an interim for two months is not "moving to MS," you do that from a hotel room or ABNB. Good gosh almighty, you need to stick with storm chasing.
    I do not do any storm chasing. And I have talked to Raffy. Multiple times in the last year actually. He has ZERO interest in ever coaching and is not going to move to MS for more than a week or so. He and Lynn like Texas a lot more than MS. As for Will, he has a special needs son. He is never going to get into an on field coaching role. He has said that in multiple interviews on multiple occasions. He wants to be near his son as much as possible and they do not want to interrupt his routine.

Maybe Bruce would take it, I am sure that would make the bus driver happy. As for Roy, yea you are not pulling him away from 44 Prime. He wants as little stress as possible and likes the time he has. Has told that to anyone who would listen for the last 5 years.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pancho View Post
    I just wonder what the convo will resemble in 2 or 3 weeks when this loss column is up in the twenties.
    That the entire staff will be let go at the end of the year. Same as it is now. We can want the staff to go as much as we want, and trust me I do, but it is just not happening mid year. It would have happened today if that was the case.

vCash

And what would we do in a Mike Leach situation Heaven forbid I don't wish that on any one of our coaches? Or a Cann situation?

I'm sure Ron Polk knows some people that could fill in if needed.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    And what would we do in a Mike Leach situation Heaven forbid I don't wish that on any one of our coaches? Or a Cann situation?

I'm sure Ron Polk knows some people that could fill in if needed.
    Well since those two situations are extreme out of your control situations you promote from within. However, Chris Lemonis is neither dying nor currently having an affair. He will be the HC until May 21. He will be fired at that point barring the miracle of all miracles that we turn this season around. You all need to stop thinking that him not finishing out the season is a possibility. We will stay with Lemonis til the end of the season. It sucks it got to this point, but I tried to tell you last May that we needed to do this. It was just as evident then as it is now.

vCash
    Well since those two situations are extreme out of your control situations you promote from within. However, Chris Lemonis is neither dying nor currently having an affair. He will be the HC until May 21. He will be fired at that point barring the miracle of all miracles that we turn this season around. You all need to stop thinking that him not finishing out the season is a possibility. We will stay with Lemonis til the end of the season. It sucks it got to this point, but I tried to tell you last May that we needed to do this. It was just as evident then as it is now.
    Agree it ain't happening till seasons end. For one the optics would look bad. 2 years from a NC coach (the only one we've ever had). We'd get made fun of like we already have (we are spoiled) even though we are justified.

And to be fair, we probably owe it to him at end of year so he can leave in a better way - resigning and not an ugly firing mid year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by R2Dawg View Post
    Agree it ain't happening till seasons end. For one the optics would look bad. 2 years from a NC coach (the only one we've ever had). We'd get made fun of like we already have (we are spoiled) even though we are justified.

And to be fair, we probably owe it to him at end of year so he can leave in a better way - resigning and not an ugly firing mid year.
    Now him resigning would be the best of both worlds. We get rid of him and we do not have the negative PR of firing a HC less than two years removed from a national championship. He will not do that though.