Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Couple of practice notes from yesterday

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowbell View Post
    Is there any way to hide KB 21 from this thread?***
    Pool our money and hire a hitman***

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by coachnorm View Post
    How can a quarterback be considered extremely accurate when a disproportionate amount of his passes are check downs, swing passes, and screen passes? How many quarterbacks would not be extremely accurate throwing like that?
    His completion percentage is higher on balls 20 yards down the field than anyone else in our history just about.

vCash
    And you can sit there and say all he had to do was throw swing routes, well the difference in that swing route being a good play and a no gain is the QBs accuracy and the back being able to make one miss. I never understood the hate for the swings. The defenses took everything else away. If it was a read option or a the veer and we gave the dive for 4 yards people on here would have fainted in the aisles at Davis Wade

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowbell View Post
    WILL has his issues but accuracy has never been one of them. Anybody claiming that he is not accurate doesn't understand the burden he's been having to carry throwing into eight-man coverage. Then when he was checking down, teams knew he was checking down and where it was going to. This will absolutely help him. He still gonna make mistakes, but this is going to free him up to have some fun back there. Just having a tight end alone is gonna make this more fun.
    Will has ran RPOs more than he has true air raid. It?s why Moorhead wanted him

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    Right! Will is smart and while he doesn't have a cannon he is extremely accurate and i expect him to have a great year in this offense. Play action will also give us some open looks on deeper patterns that wont require elite arm strength to stick it in a tight window downfield.
    Absolutely!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckyIsAB**** View Post
    And you can sit there and say all he had to do was throw swing routes, well the difference in that swing route being a good play and a no gain is the QBs accuracy and the back being able to make one miss. I never understood the hate for the swings. The defenses took everything else away. If it was a read option or a the veer and we gave the dive for 4 yards people on here would have fainted in the aisles at Davis Wade
    I agree. Last year tho Will turned RBs around 360 degrees much more frequently than should've been the case IMO. And it would kill their forward momentum and ability to make defenders miss. Completion % was still high tho.

Maybe the new offense will help Will feel more comfortable in the pocket this year.

vCash
    They let you watch? The way Zach has operated so far, I figured just about every practice would be closed. All our opponents are dying to see what we're gonna run post Leach.

vCash
    NT

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TrapGame View Post
    I think we're going to see Will run it a little more than usual next season. I'm not talking Mike Vick but just enough to put some doubt in a defense. The pistol helps disguise that too.
    Please make sure the running play on the goal line with Will against OM last year is not in the new playbook!***** Seriously, looking forward to seeing the new O. Hail State!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaceBully View Post
    They let you watch? The way Zach has operated so far, I figured just about every practice would be closed. All our opponents are dying to see what we're gonna run post Leach.
    He put on the "Peeping Croom" disguise and hide on the top of the Palmerio Building with a great pair of binoculars!*****.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckyIsAB**** View Post
    It's Mississippi State fans we're talking about.

They seriously asked Barbay if he runs QB sneaks with the QB under the center.

I'm sure they'll latch onto something that they don't like about Barbay.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TrapGame View Post
    They sure as hell won't be rushing 3 and dropping 8 anymore. When we used a RB as a FB to block on run plays it looked great. I expect to see us use the TE as a lead blocker on a lot of running plays with the same results. And with Will's accuracy he will tear man coverage up!
    Sounds good on paper. However, Will is also going to have to read different defenses and teams are going to blitz him a lot more.

He's also going to have to make decisions a lot more quickly and he's a QB that likes to check it down instead of force it- which is not a bad thing.

Usually these things even themselves out in the long run.

vCash
    If we can have a competent running game, it's going to make Will even better. With his accuracy and play action being effective and not having to carry all the burden himself, he could have a really special season.
    Keep in mind that it's not all on the QB's shoulders... well arm. We have seen enough QBs at MSU to know that we can have an above average QB but only complete 54% in passing due to lack of training at WR and effective route running... which means a loaded box.

Look at Shrader for the example. Or Fitz. Shrader was a 57% passer here but 65% at his new home. Fitz was a 51% passer.

Senior Member Lord McBuckethead's Avatar
    vCash
    We all hope our running game is better and more effective at taking some of the pressure off Will. We all also hope Will can exploit some defenses and take full advantage that the new offense is going to provide. Play action, some RPO. Whatever it is, we all hope Will takes advantage and really has the best break out year any SEC QB has ever had.

I really hope him and all others make the plays needed to win.

Bennie Brown Know-It-All
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaceBully View Post
    No practice is closed to everyone. Media won't have as much access any more.

vCash
    Yes, Wills biggest strength is accuracy. With a competent running game and play action our receivers should be able to get more separation and space to work against man and especially against zone. Will should have much bigger windows to throw to, provided we can have a competent run game, which i see no reason that we won't because we ran it very effectively last season.
    Lack of arm strength a concern?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarius View Post
    No practice is closed to everyone. Media won't have as much access any more.
    Media has the same access they've had under every coach. The first 3-5 practices they'll let them watch all of practice and once they start getting into heavy install stuff they'll be limited to the first 20 minutes. Once the season begins practice will be completely closed generally. That's how it was under Mullen and Leach. Moorhead may have had a more lax approach with the media because he was trying to be friends with them.

Bennie Brown Know-It-All
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StarkVegasSteve View Post
    Media has the same access they've had under every coach. The first 3-5 practices they'll let them watch all of practice and once they start getting into heavy install stuff they'll be limited to the first 20 minutes. Once the season begins practice will be completely closed generally. That's how it was under Mullen and Leach. Moorhead may have had a more lax approach with the media because he was trying to be friends with them.
    Nope. Media got full access under Leach. Paul had notes from every spring practice and fall camp leading up to game week. Now they only get the first 20 minutes of practice since full gear got put on.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by confucius say View Post
    Lack of arm strength a concern?
    I mentioned in a separate post in this thread that a competent run game and play action will create bigger windows to throw to and more separation for the receivers and it will help a qb who doesn't have elite arm strength(will).

vCash
    I know how much Barbay has talked about stretching the field vertically, and I just think that will be tough for will.