Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My apologies to the board.

vCash
    I'm trying to understand baseball. Football is my schtick. I can tell you the moves/angles/leverage for almost all positions. I have no idea what's wrong. Something is definitely amiss. This team is more talented than the championship team in my worthless opinion. No clue what's wrong but the buck stops at Lemo. This is becoming embarrassing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MrCoachKlein View Post
    I'm trying to understand baseball. Football is my schtick. I can tell you the moves/angles/leverage for almost all positions. I have no idea what's wrong. Something is definitely amiss. This team is more talented than the championship team in my worthless opinion. No clue what's wrong but the buck stops at Lemo. This is becoming embarrassing.
    Baseball is less about talent than football or basketball. Think about it this way - in the 1980s, the Yankees continually had the best roster that money could buy. Dave Winfield, Don Mattingly, Ron Guidry, Righetti, Willie Randolph, Rickey Henderson, etc etc. And they couldn't get out of their own way. They were a team on paper. There was no trust. No shared experiences. Culture, hustle, grit, dirt bag mentality - whatever you want to call it - can make you the better team and a team that can roll more talented teams regularly. I'd never believe it if I hadn't seen happen and been on both ends of the equation.

From 2011 thru 2021 we had that. We were like Bain - we'd been born in it, raised in it. You could smell it on us when we walked on the field. We went to CWS final in 2013 with no starting pitching. We got embarrassed by 2015 and went out and beat the shit out of the whole SEC in 2016. And I've never seen anything like Big Hit Mac in 2018. No to mention how many come from behind wins we had in 2021 during the regular season. But, right now, it's like looking at Polks teams after he retired/unretired in '92 - they were just going thru the motions while the coaches were mentally focused elsewhere.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    Baseball is less about talent than football or basketball. Think about it this way - in the 1980s, the Yankees continually had the best roster that money could buy. Dave Winfield, Don Mattingly, Ron Guidry, Righetti, Willie Randolph, Rickey Henderson, etc etc. And they couldn't get out of their own way. They were a team on paper. There was no trust. No shared experiences. Culture, hustle, grit, dirt bag mentality - whatever you want to call it - can make you the better team and a team that can roll more talented teams regularly. I'd never believe it if I hadn't seen happen and been on both ends of the equation.

From 2011 thru 2021 we had that. We were like Bain - we'd been born in it, raised in it. You could smell it on us when we walked on the field. We went to CWS final in 2013 with no starting pitching. We got embarrassed by 2015 and went out and beat the shit out of the whole SEC in 2016. And I've never seen anything like Big Hit Mac in 2018. No to mention how many come from behind wins we had in 2021 during the regular season. But, right now, it's like looking at Polks teams after he retired/unretired in '92 - they were just going thru the motions while the coaches were mentally focused elsewhere.
    What's the story there? Before my time. I only remember Polk II, which was a lot of meh with a CWS Appearance.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StarkVegasSteve View Post
    What's the story there? Before my time. I only remember Polk II, which was a lot of meh with a CWS Appearance.
    Polk announced in the Spring of '92 he would retire to take over USA baseball (IIRCC). Something happened and he changed his mind, then started some of his crusade against the NCAA.

vCash
    Polk announced in the Spring of '92 he would retire to take over USA baseball (IIRCC). Something happened and he changed his mind, then started some of his crusade against the NCAA.
    So is that when we decided we probably needed to go ahead and get Pat back into the fold so he could take over?

vCash

Great post as always, Bruns. Your posts are always well thought out and don't carry all the emotional baggage of most. Thank you!

vCash
    Would one of you cats give me a "parallel" type scenario from football that might help me understand y'all's baseball situation?

Is it an Ed Orgeron/Les Miles/Gene Chizik type thing?
    "It is not courage to resist TUSK; It is courage to accept TUSK."

No.

Easy there buddy. Tusk is...well Tusk is Tusk. Tireddawg 12.20.17

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TUSK View Post
    Would one of you cats give me a "parallel" type scenario from football that might help me understand y'all's baseball situation?

Is it an Ed Orgeron/Les Miles/Gene Chizik type thing?
    Chizik particularly.

vCash

Cohen. Say what you want about him as an AD or whatever else off the field, a lot that I don?t like. But he was a hell of a coach and perfect for us. He cared about State baseball. He made those kids care about it. I loved him as a coach and I wish we could get him back. I think him and those staffs deserve a lot more credit for 2011-2021 than they get

vCash
    The one thing I will give Lemonis rn is that he has beaten OM with great consistency. We were doing that with Cann and Henderson did it too, Cohen had his moments against them but I dont think he had the success Lemonis has had. But him and those staffs instilled that mentality into this program

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowbell View Post
    I apologize for defending this the last few weeks. I felt like we were so close to getting over the hump. For that reason I wish we had all new coaches starting tomorrow because I still believe this team is talented enough for the post-season.

Also can we stop with any promotional highlights of this team from the marketing department until this team is as good as they think they are. Just stop it. It makes us look like a joke to see the promos with crap music to get you hyped about a crap team.
    No apology necessary. It's easier for some than it is for the rest of us to leave our optimism behind.

vCash
    I was the one of first ones out on Moorhead so I know what's it's like on the other side. Kept hoping you guys were wrong here.
    Miss State has historically kept coaches around too many extra years for one sentimental reason or another. JWS about three years too many. Stands about three years too many. Croom about two years too many. Ray about four years too many. Our AD's have just screwed it up over the years. Canning Moorhead was the first time they dump someone really fast and it paid off. If things don't improve in the baseball situation a change must be made. FASTER and SOONER.

vCash
    cohen realized the flaws in his recent baseball hire and that made it easier to seek other employment.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Lambert View Post
    Miss State has historically kept coaches around too many extra years for one sentimental reason or another. JWS about three years too many. Stands about three years too many. Croom about two years too many. Ray about four years too many. Our AD's have just screwed it up over the years. Canning Moorhead was the first time they dump someone really fast and it paid off. If things don't improve in the baseball situation a change must be made. FASTER and SOONER.
    Emory Bellard......(thank you for the Bama win and LSU wins)....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Lambert View Post
    We kept Moorhead for a year too long if you ask me. I left that Outback Bowl wanting to can his ass before he got on the plane.

vCash
    I love Lemonis the man, the coach, not so much. I?ve been around baseball most my life, playing & coaching.

I?ve seen things I would do differently, some head scratchers, and some obvious, but what I don?t see is a well organized, fundamentally sound coached team.

Like B.B said, the thrill is gone.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StarkVegasSteve View Post
    We kept Moorhead for a year too long if you ask me. I left that Outback Bowl wanting to can his ass before he got on the plane.
    The only reason he wasn't gone sooner was because of that 85 bears defense....

vCash
    The only reason he wasn't gone sooner was because of that 85 bears defense....
    That and he was genuinely a nice guy and a good recruiter. Just got too hard headed about the offense. Moorhead is one of the best men I have met that had that big of a public figure