Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Baseball Coaching Hot Board

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Quaoarsking View Post
    It's so strange to see posters bash Jake Mangum (probably our #1 most legendary player of the 21st century) and Elijah Macnamee (also in the top 5) in order to take up for ... Andy Cannizzaro?? Seriously guys?
    You didn't see what I did. I don't really have a whole lot of respect for Jake Mangum. Great athlete and great player, but so was Brent Rooker.

vCash
    Burroughs and butch should be high on the list. Not saying they’re at the top but they are absolutely solid baseball guys and I believe would get us back goin. I’m sure there’s someone flashier that is higher up but I’d be 100% happy with either of them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StarkVegasSteve View Post
    He wins. At a certain point, you have to ask yourself what your line in the sand is. I've said all along that he may not be a great person, but he has broken no laws. That doesn't mean I condone what he did, because I don't but I know what are program trajectory was under him. We don't have that trajectory under Chris. I've been on record multiple times in the past months saying that I would have suspended for the rest of the year and reevaluated the situation in June. I don't really care that Jake Mangum didn't like him. Our program is bigger than one player. Always has been and always will be. Jake didn't like him for a few reasons, most of them had nothing to do with Cannizarro texting his sidepiece.
    I think when you are at his age, already been fired in disgrace from a top job and a private HS fires you for more bad judgements, including a situation that could have turned criminal if charges were made and/or an accident occurred,part of your stance about criminal is that he was fortunate it didn't turn criminal. It's no longer red flags it's a huge neon sign flashing Do Not Hire. He cannot exercise good judgement in his personal life, had horrible judgement with HS players (not the playing time junk but something more severe) that actually involves players...bad judgements at multiple programs now. This type of decision making individual cannot be a part of running a program. Defend all you want but he couldn't get a second chance at DII or DIII tells you we only know about a select few skeletons in his closet. There are more.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Really Clark? View Post
    I think when you are at his age, already been fired in disgrace from a top job and a private HS fires you for more bad judgements, including a situation that could have turned criminal if charges were made and/or an accident occurred,part of your stance about criminal is that he was fortunate it didn't turn criminal. It's no longer red flags it's a huge neon sign flashing Do Not Hire. He cannot exercise good judgement in his personal life, had horrible judgement with HS players (not the playing time junk but something more severe) that actually involves players...bad judgements at multiple programs now. This type of decision making individual cannot be a part of running a program. Defend all you want but he couldn't get a second chance at DII or DIII tells you we only know about a select few skeletons in his closet. There are more.
    This everyday! Not only that he with all his contacts in mlb he can't even sniff an mlb job and they look the other way on just about everything so the fact he's unhireable at every level of baseball should tell you all you need to know. He's radioactive. Just like you said if you can't keep your personal life straight(and the affairs are only one of his issues), then you can't run a program of any size.

vCash
    Skeletons in the closet, national championships in the trophy cases. You have to decide what you're willing to accept. I've made my stance on it. And at the end it doesn't matter because I'm not the one making the decision. What I saw was a guy who took a team worse than we've had the last two years and took them within two games of Omaha. I mean we were pitching position players on the weekend and winning. No one, including me, is saying that Andy hasn't completely f'd his life up. Because he has. But hell, Hugh Freeze is back on the sidelines and he was doing the same and worse. I guess I'm willing to take that risk because I know what the reward is. Probably why I wouldn't be a good AD.

vCash
    Skeletons in the closet, national championships in the trophy cases. You have to decide what you're willing to accept. I've made my stance on it. And at the end it doesn't matter because I'm not the one making the decision. What I saw was a guy who took a team worse than we've had the last two years and took them within two games of Omaha. I mean we were pitching position players on the weekend and winning. No one, including me, is saying that Andy hasn't completely f'd his life up. Because he has. But hell, Hugh Freeze is back on the sidelines and he was doing the same and worse. I guess I'm willing to take that risk because I know what the reward is. Probably why I wouldn't be a good AD.
    Well, we have an entire football stadium on multiple Injun bones. What are a few more skeletons in the closet going to do??

vCash
    It's kind of a moot point anyways. We're not hiring cann and nobody else is either.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Activated Alpha View Post
    Well, we have an entire football stadium on multiple Injun bones. What are a few more skeletons in the closet going to do??
    Exactly! Trust me we can't piss the Injuns off too much more.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    It's kind of a moot point anyways. We're not hiring cann and nobody else is either.

Correct. It doesn't matter because he won't be hired. If he keeps his nose clean for the next 3 to 4 years then someone may bring him on as an asst or maybe a school like SELA or Northwestern St will decide the risk is worth it to hire him as the HC.

vCash
    Correct. It doesn't matter because he won't be hired. If he keeps his nose clean for the next 3 to 4 years then someone may bring him on as an asst or maybe a school like SELA or Northwestern St will decide the risk is worth it to hire him as the HC.
    I agree with this. If he can keep it between the ditches for that amount of time he'll get another shot. Hope he has the discipline to do because he has a ton of baseball knowledge thats being wasted.

vCash
    Exactly! Trust me we can't piss the Injuns off too much more.
    I guess the injuns decided that NC was enough pleasure for us to have in this century, lol.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    I agree with this. If he can keep it between the ditches for that amount of time he'll get another shot. Hope he has the discipline to do because he has a ton of baseball knowledge thats being wasted.
    His problem is that when he has too much time on his hands the problems start popping up. I mean look at his first year. He gets here in November and takes over the program and by the time he gets moved into his office it's February and it's time for baseball. He's completely focused on the season and the results showed that. The problems began in July, August, and September. When he didn't have anything to do.

vCash
    Well when he stays straight for 4 years or so then its easier to move that line to acceptance. He's not there yet.

vCash
    His problem is that when he has too much time on his hands the problems start popping up. I mean look at his first year. He gets here in November and takes over the program and by the time he gets moved into his office it's February and it's time for baseball. He's completely focused on the season and the results showed that. The problems began in July, August, and September. When he didn't have anything to do.
    Yeah I've known several people like that. Talented but just don't have any self discipline when they're not on task. Shame too.

vCash
    Well when he stays straight for 4 years or so then its easier to move that line to acceptance. He's not there yet.
    Yep there are consequences for actions and dues that have to be paid first. He's young enough to get it together if he will.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    He's got more SEC wins this year than us. He's highly thought of. He's in the top 5 IMO. Godwin probably is at the top. Deggs is likely in there too, since he got a short look before. Then there are the big timers that will be tough pulls but you try anyway. After seeing the Three Bucketeers win a Natty, a good coach should see they can too.
    More SEC wins this year isn't saying much.

He's a good coach, doesn't mean he's ready or deserving of this job. I like Lane, doesn't mean he should be in the top 5 coaches for this job.

He's been to 2 regionals in 7 years at LA Tech.

I mentioned this elsewhere, there are 2 coaches in Louisiana that are arguably better than him... yet only 1 of them kind of gets mentioned. The other? Not at all.

Why is that? Cause Burroughs "is a State guy".

Who are the other two guys?

1. Matt Deggs - ULL. His name has been mentioned some. But not as much as Lane. Deggs has 3 Regional appearances, as well as 1 Super Regional appearance.
    2. Matt Riser - SEL. 4 regionals in 9 years.

I'm even advocating for either. Simply pointing out that those 2 have been and are better coaches, yet we aren't even mentioned them.

I can name 15 guys right now that are better options and realistic options.

1. Dan Heefner - DBU
    2. Rob Vaughn - Maryland
    3. Chris Pollard - Duke
    4. John Szefc - Va Tech
    5. Jordan Bischell - CMU
    6. Justin Haire - Campbell
    7. Mark Calvi - USA
    8. Greg Lovelady - UCF
    9. Butch Thompson - Auburn
    10. Monte Lee - uSC hitting coach
    11. Casey Dunn - UAB
    12. Robert Woodard - Charlotte
    13. Matt Deggs - ULL
    14. Todd Interdonato - Wofford
    15. Mark Wasikowski - Oregon

You could make arguments against some. But that list is virtually better than Burroughs.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CoachT14 View Post

He's a good coach, doesn't mean he's ready or deserving of this job. I like Lane, doesn't mean he should be in the top 5 coaches for this job.

I mentioned this elsewhere, there are 2 coaches in Louisiana that are arguably better than him... yet only 1 of them kind of gets mentioned. The other? Not at all.

1. Matt Deggs - ULL. His name has been mentioned some. But not as much as Lane. Deggs has 3 Regional appearances, as well as 1 Super Regional appearance.

I'm even advocating for either. Simply pointing out that those 2 have been and are better coaches, yet we aren't even mentioned them.

1. Dan Heefner - DBU
    2. Rob Vaughn - Maryland
    3. Chris Pollard - Duke
    4. John Szefc - Va Tech
    5. Jordan Bischell - CMU
    7. Mark Calvi - USA
    8. Greg Lovelady - UCF
    11. Casey Dunn - UAB
    13. Matt Deggs - ULL

You could make arguments against some. But that list is virtually better than Burroughs.
    I really like Calvi. He recruited my son and he's a sharp guy and very cool.

vCash
    Like I said above, baseball is not something I get wrapped up in. However, clearly there's no excuse for us to totally suck...like none. Something has gone wrong and to me it's pretty obvious a wholesale change needs to be made. I just don't know is there any advantage to firing everyone during the season to get a jump on the top coaches like in football? Or do you just ride it out until the season is over?

vCash

1. Dan Heefner - DBU
    2. Rob Vaughn - Maryland
    3. Chris Pollard - Duke
    4. John Szefc - Va Tech
    5. Jordan Bischell - CMU
    7. Mark Calvi - USA
    8. Greg Lovelady - UCF
    11. Casey Dunn - UAB
    13. Matt Deggs - ULL

Lane has only had 5 seasons at LT. 2017, 2018, 2019, 2021, 2022.
    Regionals the last two, which had not been done in consecutive years there in 35 years.
    39 wins in 2018 but got left out.
    We will see what he does this year. He's built a program there and is a viable candidate.

vCash

1. Dan Heefner - DBU
    2. Rob Vaughn - Maryland
    3. Chris Pollard - Duke
    4. John Szefc - Va Tech
    5. Jordan Bischell - CMU
    7. Mark Calvi - USA
    8. Greg Lovelady - UCF
    11. Casey Dunn - UAB
    13. Matt Deggs - ULL

I wouldn't put any of those lesser names ahead of him. La Tech is a dying athletics dept now that they're stuck in a terrible conference. He will do more with less. Many of those we aren't interest in and some aren't interested in us. There's a fit issue with several of those guys. Not that they're bad coaches. You can mark off Heefner and Butch and Calvi right off the bat. Interdonato, Dunn, Lee as well. Lee was an awful head coach by the way.
    We're going to pull better than that list or mine I believe.
    Last edited by Cooterpoot; 03-20-2023 at 01:50 PM.