Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 917181920 LastLast

Thread: Back in the ncaa tourney vs Pittsburgh game thread

vCash
    Just tip the Miss in DJ?it was on a silver platter. 17 me running!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tcdog70 View Post
    Just tip the Miss in DJ?it was on a silver platter. 17 me running!
    Yep. Going back and watching it all he had to do was dunk it in or put it soft off the glass. Instead he tried to tip it in with one hand.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StarkVegasSteve View Post
    Then he needs to be replaced. 26% can't play at this level if you're a guard. Especially if you're a guard on a team that plays inside out.
    He also had 3 unforced turnovers while driving into the paint and not looking where he is passing it. He made 3 perfect passes to the team in black tonight in scoring opportunities that were wasted. It was a talent deficiency and the committee knew it and put State right where the tram belonged. And State proved them right. Well on the Spring Football now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Shak from 3: 26.4%
    Shak from 2: 52.6%

^^^ season stats
    Haha it's not quite that simple.

vCash
    Yep. Going back and watching it all he had to do was dunk it in or put it soft off the glass. Instead he tried to tip it in with one hand.
    To be fair to him, it's impossible to know in the moment how much time you have left, so he was obviously trying to get rid of it as quickly as possible.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    Haha it's not quite that simple.
    Unfortunately it is. 26% from 3 will not cut it at any level of basketball for a guard. And unless we change our style of play we need shooters in at least 3 of the 4 other spots on the floor.

vCash
    To be fair to him, it's impossible to know in the moment how much time you have left, so he was obviously trying to get rid of it as quickly as possible.
    Yep. If he had tipped it in this conversation would be a lot different.🙄

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainObvious View Post
    He also had 3 unforced turnovers while driving into the paint and not looking where he is passing it. He made 3 perfect passes to the team in black tonight in scoring opportunities that were wasted. It was a talent deficiency and the committee knew it and put State right where the tram belonged. And State proved them right. Well on the Spring Football now.
    We had 14 turnovers they had 6. This is what beat us IMO,

vCash
    Oh agreed. I think my biggest gripe was why Moore didn't drive straight to the basket. He could've gotten to 8-10 ft before anyone could've contested it. And if Vanilla Gorilla comes out just lob it up and let Cam, Tolu, or DJ flush it for the win. Again, hindsight is 20/20 and it's easy to say all that not in the moment.

vCash
    Unfortunately it is. 26% from 3 will not cut it at any level of basketball for a guard. And unless we change our style of play we need shooters in at least 3 of the 4 other spots on the floor.
    Need shooters at all 5 spots. The 5 out offense is the way.

vCash
    If only McNair or Reed had made their three.*****

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KB21 View Post
    Need shooters at all 5 spots. The 5 out offense is the way.
    Not necessarily. I like how Bama plays with their 5. Bediako is no threat to shoot a 3 but the other 4 are lethal. If we're going to continue to have a big man, which I imagine Jans will continue to utilize then we need to go to that type of offense.

vCash
    Welp. My Final 4 is already busted after tonight so I guess I am through watching mens basketball until Late October.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldendawg View Post
    If only McNair or Reed had made their three.*****
    LOL ... I was so mad at McNair for that dumbass shot that if Tolu hadn't been in foul trouble and I was coach ... I'd probably sat McNair down till the middle of next season sometime.

vCash
    Welp. My Final 4 is already busted after tonight so I guess I am through watching mens basketball until Late October.

I'm out on the tournament for at least 36 hours. That one hurt.

vCash
    I'm with you. Just want bama beat asap. On to a run in baseball & Spring football, where we are undefeated in 2023 and hope springs eternal! Hail State!
    Last edited by Goldendawg; 03-14-2023 at 11:31 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    They've played 7 guys tonight. Let's see if jans using 10 pays off down the stretch
    It didn't. Depth is HIGHLY overrated in the NCAAT with the longer commercial breaks

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    It didn't. Depth is HIGHLY overrated in the NCAAT with the longer commercial breaks
    That and 3 out of the 10 guys we played tonight were borderline unplayable. That would be Reed, Jones, and Matthews. I actually liked the effort we got from McNair, Murphy, and Stevenson off the bench.

I always revert back to an old quote I heard from Chris Vernon a few years ago when the Grizzlies were in the doldrums of the post Grit N Grind era. You have to accumulate guys on your roster that don't suck. We have 3-4 guys that consistently don't suck (Tolu, Rams, and Shak. Jeffries doesn't suck most of the time). To take the next step we need 6-8 that don't suck. That doesn't sound like a huge jump, but right now it's the difference between us and a team like Bama.
    Last edited by StarkVegasSteve; 03-15-2023 at 12:06 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Churchill View Post
    We had 14 turnovers they had 6. This is what beat us IMO,
    Yep not a good stat.

But in a 1 point game, you can point to any one play that makes a difference.

I said it when it happened - the Tolu foul when he scored inside took 2 pts off board for us. A horrible call in one of many but that one took 2 pts off our side. That one play called correctly or just really a no call and we win.

vCash
    I really didn't have much of a gripe with officiating except when Davis got called for 2 fouls back-to-back when we had his hand on the ball. Both shoulda been no calls/tie ups