Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stans Fired

vCash

Stans Fired

Old news really but shocked it wasn't posted here. Maybe bring him home to recruit?

vCash
    As bad as it ended, he sure made my Croom college years more exciting.

vCash
    He was an assistant at aTm, but not sure he'd do the same here

vCash
    First off we do not have a staff opening so it is a moot point. But also, Stans had some major health problems this year so I imagine he will be retiring to Browning Creek. He does not remotely need the money so no need to put any more stress on your body.

vCash
    Get Stans the head recruiting with Jans coach and we are cookin with fire and gas

vCash

Technically, he retired

Last edited by KentuckyDawg13; 03-14-2023 at 07:36 AM.

vCash
    Wouldn't mind seeing him become part of the radio crew for Mississippi State.
    #AirRaidForever!!#SwingYourSword!!#FireArnett

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KB21 View Post
    Wouldn't mind seeing him become part of the radio crew for Mississippi State.
    "Freshmens"

vCash
    So I will preface this by saying I really do like Rick. He was a good coach for us and had some really good regular season teams. But why does everyone act like he was some coaching savant when he was here? His on the floor coaching was good for 35 minutes and then he turned into Rick Ray the last 5 of a tight game. He recruited at an ok level, but nowhere near elite. I mean is it those pointless division championships he won when 3 of the 6 teams in his division could not find their basketball arena? I just have never understood the admiration for a guy that never made it out of the first weekend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StarkVegasSteve View Post
    So I will preface this by saying I really do like Rick. He was a good coach for us and had some really good regular season teams. But why does everyone act like he was some coaching savant when he was here? His on the floor coaching was good for 35 minutes and then he turned into Rick Ray the last 5 of a tight game. He recruited at an ok level, but nowhere near elite. I mean is it those pointless division championships he won when 3 of the 6 teams in his division could not find their basketball arena? I just have never understood the admiration for a guy that never made it out of the first weekend.
    The total implosion against Butler with the most talented roster since Richard Williams did me in on Stans. I was off the boat at that point. Butler ate his ****ing lunch. There was a 5'10 white guy that made Lawrence Roberts look like a bitch.

vCash
    State basketball was fun while he was here and his teams consistently kept the fanbase's attention and enthusiasm until the last few years. That is an accomplishment. I don't think anyone here acts like he's a coaching savant, my goodness. If anything, he's probably underrated by our message board fans. He took us to 6 NCAA Tournaments in an 8-year span. Yes, we had some disappointments once we got there for sure, but that is a major accomplishment at State. He had half of the tournaments in the history of the program in those 8 years. And in 1 of the other 2, we made a fun as heck run to the NIT semifinals. This year is only the 2nd NCAAT since he left, and it pretty much shocked everybody we were able to do it.

People crapped on his coaching, and now some like to crap on his recruiting somewhat, too, but he was doing something right.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    State basketball was fun while he was here and his teams consistently kept the fanbase's attention and enthusiasm until the last few years. That is an accomplishment. I don't think anyone here acts like he's a coaching savant, my goodness. If anything, he's probably underrated by our message board fans. He took us to 6 NCAA Tournaments in an 8-year span. Yes, we had some disappointments once we got there for sure, but that is a major accomplishment at State. He had half of the tournaments in the history of the program in those 8 years. And in 1 of the other 2, we made a fun as heck run to the NIT semifinals. This year is only the 2nd NCAAT since he left, and it pretty much shocked everybody we were able to do it.

People crapped on his coaching, and now some like to crap on his recruiting somewhat, too, but he was doing something right.
    Rick was a very good coach. He gets knocked for doing bad in March but he brought in some great talent, developed some talent, and had us in upper section of SEC.

Go back and watch some of his teams over the years and the talent assembled and tell me he couldn't get talent here.

vCash
    People on these boards used to love spouting off stats about how Stans had something like the 4th or 5th most winning program in the SEC over some arbitrary period yet completely ignoring the fact that at the time it was something like 9 or 10 of the programs in the SEC had also reached the Sweet 16 or better. For some, those ridiculous SEC West banners were worth their weight in gold.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RockyDog View Post
    People on these boards used to love spouting off stats about how Stans had something like the 4th or 5th most winning program in the SEC over some arbitrary period yet completely ignoring the fact that at the time it was something like 9 or 10 of the programs in the SEC had also reached the Sweet 16 or better. For some, those ridiculous SEC West banners were worth their weight in gold.
    No different than all those SECE football titles the SECE claims. People don't put * by those.

Rick also won the SEC regular season title and won several SECT titles. We proved we belonged many times regardless of divisions.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TrapGame View Post
    The total implosion against Butler with the most talented roster since Richard Williams did me in on Stans. I was off the boat at that point. Butler ate his ****ing lunch. There was a 5'10 white guy that made Lawrence Roberts look like a bitch.
    You are getting 03 and 04 mixed up. Butler beat us in 03 on a buzzer beater. It was Xavier who beat us in 04 with that Roberts team. The talent on that team was just stupid, but we were leaking oil bad and you could tell. We lose to Florida in the SECT when all we needed was one win to secure a 1 seed and then we just get taken to the woodshed by a Xavier team that, while talented, was a level below us from a talent perspective.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by R2Dawg View Post
    No different than all those SECE football titles the SECE claims. People don't put * by those.

Rick also won the SEC regular season title and won several SECT titles. We proved we belonged many times regardless of divisions.
    Totally not comparable. In football, that team plays for a title. No asterisk needed.

In basketball winning a division had no bearing on anything. In 2 of the last 3 division championships that Stans won, we played in the NIT.

Hell in 2007, MSU and Mississippi tied for the SEC West "championship" and played in the NIT while Arkansas got an at-large bid to the dance.

vCash
    You are getting 03 and 04 mixed up. Butler beat us in 03 on a buzzer beater. It was Xavier who beat us in 04 with that Roberts team. The talent on that team was just stupid, but we were leaking oil bad and you could tell. We lose to Florida in the SECT when all we needed was one win to secure a 1 seed and then we just get taken to the woodshed by a Xavier team that, while talented, was a level below us from a talent perspective.
    At my age now things get a little mixed up.

vCash
    Vandy is who beat us in sec tourney that yr

vCash
    It was common for Stans to lose to teams with less talent. That was always my biggest issue with him. At the same time, he did have the ability to recruit high star players to get us some tournament appearances and most importantly 3 SEC titles (1 Reg season and 2 tournaments). I will never understand why our fanbase hates on him so much and why the other side of our fanbase glorifies him. He was an A recruiter and a C- floor coach. He was a solid B overall though for the time he was here and should be well respected

vCash
    The jury's still out on Jans but without question we haven't found a better coach since he left. Until we do I don't get the Stansbury hate. His years here were mostly exciting at least for me and I can't say that for Ray or Howland.