Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Beard it is.... A new low for UM

Our 500th Member
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LC Dawg View Post
    I admittingly don't know much about Beard. I've seen his record and he's obviously won but his longest stint was at Texas Tech and it looks like they won big in years 2 and 3 and then trended down some. His one full year at Texas they were ranked #5 preseason and finished 25. The Little Rock year is pretty impressive.
    I see quite a few people putting him high on coaching lists. I'm just curious why some of you guys on here think so highly of him. Like I said, my knowledge is limited and he may be the greatest coach in basketball. I just don't know that much about him and took a look at his record which is very good but didn't necessarily scream great.
    You're not wrong. I don't understand it myself. His last two years at Tech was mediocre & his first year at Texas he inherited 3 all big 12 & 1 all A10 player. That's why they were so highly regarded that preseason & he went 22-12. Had Jans had that type of roster at State this year man oh man.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 662dawg View Post
    I don't understand the Beard love. His first year at Texas he had 3 all big 12 players & one all A10 player transfer in & they went 22-12. That was after he had two very mediocre seasons at Texas Tech. Ole Miss won't even come close to getting that same caliber of talent.
    Those two ‘very mediocre seasons’ he had them projected to be in the Tourney in 2020 and a ranked 6 seed in 2021. Then Texas was a 6 last year before being ranked #2 when he was suspended this year. All signs point to him being a great coach to this point.

Our 500th Member
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    Those two ‘very mediocre seasons’ he had them projected to be in the Tourney in 2020 and a ranked 6 seed in 2021. Then Texas was a 6 last year before being ranked #2 when he was suspended this year. All signs point to him being a great coach to this point.
    It doesn't change the fact that they were talented yet very mediocre. In fact the Texas team was super talented, hence the preseason top 5 ranking. I'm not saying he's a bad coach, bc he's not, but he isn't Bill Self or Roy Williams or even a top 10 coach in college basketball. He's also about to coach a lot less talent than he's ever had. We'll see.

vCash
    He has also never recruited during the NIL era with MASSIVE advantages. Texas’ NIL war chest is Top 5. He now goes to OM where Lane had to threaten to leave to get them to pony up addt NIL funds on top of the ones they were already giving to football and baseball.

We will get to see how truly good of a coach and recruiter he is in the next 12 months.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StarkVegasSteve View Post
    He has also never recruited during the NIL era with MASSIVE advantages. Texas’ NIL war chest is Top 5. He now goes to OM where Lane had to threaten to leave to get them to pony up addt NIL funds on top of the ones they were already giving to football and baseball.

We will get to see how truly good of a coach and recruiter he is in the next 12 months.
    He could probably drag in some NIL money doing promos for Mugshots.

vCash
    Are you saying he's going to have to punch, kick, and claw his way to choking money out of them?
    Everyone wants to be a beast...until its time to do what beasts do.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Leroy Jenkins View Post
    Are you saying he's going to have to punch, kick, and claw his way to choking money out of them?
    Well done!

vCash
    **** Beard and **** ole miss.

That is all.

Our 500th Member
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StarkVegasSteve View Post

Also when he's won big it was with other coaches recruits. Once his guys started getting in at Tech they became mediocre. Then took over a extremely talented Texas team & was only mediocre with them as well.

Poor Jans, albeit mostly another coaches recruits as well, had to take over a team of brick layers & done a terrific job given the circumstances. We will probably know exactly what we have in Jans by year 3. Beard will probably be their next Kennedy which isn't terrible at all. I certainly believe he'll be better than Kermit but he'll have to do it with lesser talent than he's used to coaching.

vCash
    The crazy thing is this.

They got him and of course it's going to work out great for them.

It would be nice if one of these redemption stories- which is how they're going to frame it- blows up in their face.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    The crazy thing is this.

It would be nice if one of these redemption stories- which is how they're going to frame it- blows up in their face.
    Yep, putting a guy with violent tendencies when he drinks in Oxford, MS. No way this could go wrong and blow up in their faces***

Our 500th Member
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    The crazy thing is this.

I dunno man. There's a really good chance his history makes it very hard to recruit to a place recruits aren't thrilled about in the first place.

vCash
    It doesn't change the fact that they were talented yet very mediocre. In fact the Texas team was super talented, hence the preseason top 5 ranking. I'm not saying he's a bad coach, bc he's not, but he isn't Bill Self or Roy Williams or even a top 10 coach in college basketball. He's also about to coach a lot less talent than he's ever had. We'll see.
    My point is, those teams weren't all 'very mediocre' at all. There are plenty of people who would say he's a top 10 coach in the sport right now.

Our 500th Member
    vCash
    My point is, those teams weren't all 'very mediocre' at all. There are plenty of people who would say he's a top 10 coach in the sport right now.
    His last 3 full seasons he averaged a 19-12 record with tremendous talent. Hardly a top 10 coach. He's obviously a good coach but he isn't anywhere near top 10. I just don't see it. Btw I'm also a Longhorn fan & was never overly excited about him. They had a really talented squad last year that underachieved.

vCash
    His last 3 full seasons he averaged a 19-12 record with tremendous talent. Hardly a top 10 coach. He's obviously a good coach but he isn't anywhere near top 10. I just don't see it. Btw I'm also a Longhorn fan & was never overly excited about him. They had a really talented squad last year that underachieved.
    2 of those 3 teams were ranked. If you're trying to argue that is 'very mediocre' or somehow incredibly disappointing, then ok. The Big 12 has been easily the best basketball conference in the country for the last several years.

And if you're actually a Texas fan and weren't excited about where Beard clearly had the program headed this year (which they have continued without him), then you seem quite hard to please.

vCash
    Probably wasted all their NIL money paying off the accuser.

Our 500th Member
    vCash
    2 of those 3 teams were ranked. If you're trying to argue that is 'very mediocre' or somehow incredibly disappointing, then ok. The Big 12 has been easily the best basketball conference in the country for the last several years.

And if you're actually a Texas fan and weren't excited about where Beard clearly had the program headed this year (which they have continued without him), then you seem quite hard to please.
    I felt it was a good hire at the time. I was disappointed after his first year & was hoping for a better second season. When he underachieved with Texas's roster last year & Texas Tech went 27-10, played in the Big 12 championship game & made a sweet 16 it kinda of tempered most of the excitement of the hire. He's a good coach but it's just silly to put him anywhere near the top 10 in college basketball. I expect he may give them similar results as Andy Kennedy which isn't awful for Ole Miss basketball.

vCash
    I felt it was a good hire at the time. I was disappointed after his first year & was hoping for a better second season. When he underachieved with Texas's roster last year & Texas Tech went 27-10, played in the Big 12 championship game & made a sweet 16 it kinda of tempered most of the excitement of the hire. He's a good coach but it's just silly to put him anywhere near the top 10 in college basketball. I expect he may give them similar results as Andy Kennedy which isn't awful for Ole Miss basketball.
    I don't know why that would be considered silly. You may not agree, but pretending there's no case for it seems ludicrous. What he did in one year at Little Rock was amazing, he had Texas Tech in consecutive Elite 8's and a national title game, and even these 'very disappointing' seasons you point to he had his teams ranked. And you may have been a little disappointed in last year...but take a look at the team he built for year TWO at Texas. It took all of two years for him to have a true contender. Yes, last year may have been a disappointment, but Texas was still ranked all year last year, got a 6 seed, and made the 2nd round. They had been ranked 5th to start the year, but that happens. They actually are 5th this year, so I'm not sure why you keep pointing to his first year at Texas as some sort of clear sign that he's not that great.

He is absolutely a better coach than Andy Kennedy. That's crazy.

Our 500th Member
    vCash
    I don't know why that would be considered silly. You may not agree, but pretending there's no case for it seems ludicrous. What he did in one year at Little Rock was amazing, he had Texas Tech in consecutive Elite 8's and a national title game, and even these 'very disappointing' seasons you point to he had his teams ranked. And you may have been a little disappointed in last year...but take a look at the team he built for year TWO at Texas. It took all of two years for him to have a true contender. Yes, last year may have been a disappointment, but Texas was still ranked all year last year, got a 6 seed, and made the 2nd round. They had been ranked 5th to start the year, but that happens. They actually are 5th this year, so I'm not sure why you keep pointing to his first year at Texas as some sort of clear sign that he's not that great.

He is absolutely a better coach than Andy Kennedy. That's crazy.
    But he should have won big instantly with the roster he was left with that finished #9 in the country the year prior & returned essentially the entire roster including 3 all big 12 players & added an all A10 player who transferred in. I would have loved for Jans to had that roster this year lol. Not to mention they were in every top 5 preseason poll.
    Last edited by 662dawg; 03-14-2023 at 01:09 AM.

vCash
    But he should have won big instantly with the roster he was left with that finished #9 in the country the year prior & returned essentially the entire roster including 3 all big 12 players & added an all A10 player who transferred in. I would have loved for Jans to had that roster this year lol. Not to mention they were in every top 5 preseason poll.
    ? They lost 4 of their top 6 scorers from the previous year, 3 of whom were drafted. You sure you're a Texas fan?

Their top 2, 4 of their top 6, and 5 of their top 8 scorers last year were new transfers in. That team looked entirely different from the previous team. And anytime that is the case, you never know quite what you have or how quickly things will gel. The preseason projection was a guess and the team didn't end up being that strong. It was one year, his first year at a new program, and he still ended the year ranked. It wasn't some catastrophic result. Even the best coaches have years like that.