Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lipscomb downs Vols

vCash

Lipscomb downs Vols

The artist formerly known as David Lipscomb College, nee Nashville Bible School, defeated the might Volunteers of Tennessee 9-6 tonight.

That's baseball.

vCash
    Yeah...they're not that mighty this year. Best team won last weekend.

vCash
    amazingly its not just us
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    The artist formerly known as David Lipscomb College, nee Nashville Bible School, defeated the might Volunteers of Tennessee 9-6 tonight.

That's baseball.
    Don't care who else sucks midweek. As long as State doesn't suck in midweek games! And State has definitely sucked in some midweek games this year. Thankfully, the Dawgs have won a few weekend games. Need to get that 30th win tomorrow night!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainObvious View Post
    Don't care who else sucks midweek. As long as State doesn't suck in midweek games! And State has definitely sucked in some midweek games this year. Thankfully, the Dawgs have won a few weekend games. Need to get that 30th win tomorrow night!
    Well its more about the changing face of college baseball. Mid-levels are getting better because of the portal

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    Well its more about the changing face of college baseball. Mid-levels are getting better because of the portal
    This it's been changing for several years with the portal, mlb draft cut in half, more very good player to go around for every one. Not like it was even 10 years ago.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    This it's been changing for several years with the portal, mlb draft cut in half, more very good player to go around for every one. Not like it was even 10 years ago.
    MLB is evolving their minor league system. Lots of people think there is going to be another contraction of 30 teams or so in the near future even though MLB denies it. Also it seems like MLB is slowly buying up all of the teams in the minors. The Mississippi Braves are owned now by that group - Diamond Holdings I believe it's called. They also own the Memphis Redbirds now too for those that live that way. I believe that group owns 30 minor league teams now so that's roughly 1/4 of all minor league teams not including instructional league teams.

In the Deep South minor league baseball seems to be dying. The M-Braves are moving, the Shuckers draw worse than the M-Braves, the Redbirds aren't drawing well, and there aren't teams in New Orleans, Mobile, Baton Rouge, or Shreveport. Perhaps that's a narrow view because it seems like when I see minor league highlights there are empty seats all over the ballpark behind home plate.

It makes me wonder if MLB has decided to not to compete with college baseball in the Deep South? I also wonder (hope) if we will see a new independent minor league eventually emerge in the Deep South? That could be a good strategic move given how popular some players are when they are in college like Elijah MacNamee and Scotty Dubrule. Could also be a nice place for guys like say a Roy Oswalt to end their career or have a place to play to try to get back into MLB.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    It makes me wonder if MLB has decided to not to compete with college baseball in the Deep South? I also wonder (hope) if we will see a new independent minor league eventually emerge in the Deep South? That could be a good strategic move given how popular some players are when they are in college like Elijah MacNamee and Scotty Dubrule. Could also be a nice place for guys like say a Roy Oswalt to end their career or have a place to play to try to get back into MLB.
    Yep. Be interesting to see the attendance for the M-Braves this week with the Pensacola Blue Wahoos in town.....and Tanner Allen.

vCash
    What does Tennessee have for mid-week pitching ?

vCash
    Midweek and if one of these teams gets deep in a regional is where you're going to see the most impact from the portal. Guys that were normally Saturday/Sunday starters for mid majors are now midweek guys for these mid major teams. It leads to results like this one.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Dawg View Post
    What does Tennessee have for mid-week pitching ?
    They started a guy who was 1-0 with 3.31 ERA in 12 appearances, 4 starts, but only 16.1 innings. They only pitched him 2 innings (he left with a 4-1 lead) and looks like they go with a Bullpen approach midweek.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StarkVegasSteve View Post
    Midweek and if one of these teams gets deep in a regional is where you're going to see the most impact from the portal. Guys that were normally Saturday/Sunday starters for mid majors are now midweek guys for these mid major teams. It leads to results like this one.
    Yep - and if they can stay in the winners bracket they will do some damage.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    I think Tenn has this cockiness about them and sometimes they think all they have to do is show up. I think it's the attitude and demeaner of their Coach. He is good but very arrogant and cocky. Just saying.

vCash
    Yep.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by basedog View Post
    I think Tenn has this cockiness about them and sometimes they think all they have to do is show up. I think it's the attitude and demeaner of their Coach. He is good but very arrogant and cocky. Just saying.
    There's something to that. I also think that when you play in a launching pad like they do you're going to have nights where the other teams get ahold of a few mistake pitches. I mean Lipscomb homered in the 3rd, 5th, and twice in the 6th last night.

vCash
    There's something to that. I also think that when you play in a launching pad like they do you're going to have nights where the other teams get ahold of a few mistake pitches. I mean Lipscomb homered in the 3rd, 5th, and twice in the 6th last night.
    No one can convince me Lipscomb has close to the talent Tenn has. Just poor preparation and sometimes things happen but I ain't buying portals help teams in lonqer divisions or conference match Sec teams. Just excuses for not being ready to play, oh I realize there are upsets but damn!! To me it's a team that is lazy at times, I always hated seeing one of my basketball teams do this, but when they did the next day was hell for them! Baseball players and any athlete should play 100% every day.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by basedog View Post
    No one can convince me Lipscomb has close to the talent Tenn has. Just poor preparation and sometimes things happen but I ain't buying portals help teams in lonqer divisions or conference match Sec teams. Just excuses for not being ready to play, oh I realize there are upsets but damn!! To me it's a team that is lazy at times, I always hated seeing one of my basketball teams do this, but when they did the next day was hell for them! Baseball players and any athlete should play 100% every day.
    They had a couple of draft picks last summer. College baseball is changing faster than many realize

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    They had a couple of draft picks last summer. College baseball is changing faster than many realize
    It really is. Theres more talent available all the way around. Even in the juco levels now it's common to see every team with kids throwing low to mid 90s and tons of guys that can mash the baseball. It used to be rare to see that kind of talent in juco, now it's common. Heck my sons last year at Gulf Coast they had 6 D1 transfers come in and that's happening all over, Jones, PRCC, Hinds, it's all over. There's just more high end talent to go around especially with the cut in mlb draft, nil, covid extra years. It's been a trickle down effect. Most average fans don't realize this, but if you're connected and involved in it at every level, you see it everyday. I'm just fortunate that i still have a lot of contacts in the scouting/coaching ranks and with 2 sons involved in coaching and training prospects, you get to see/hear a lot of stuff.
    Last edited by Commercecomet24; 05-01-2024 at 09:42 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    It really is. Theres more talent available all the way around. Even in the juco levels now it's common to see every team with kids throwing low to mid 90s and tons of guys that can mash the baseball. It used to be rare to see that kind of talent in juco, now it's common. Heck my sons last year at Gulf Coast they had 6 D1 transfers come in and that's happening all over, Jones, PRCC, Hinds, it's all over. There's just more high end talent to go around especially with the cut in mlb draft, nil, covid extra years. It's been a trickle down effect. Most average fans don't realize this, but if you're connected and involved in it at every level, you see it everyday.
    It's interesting to me how long it has taken MLB to realize that they had a huge cost savings opportunity for player development via College Baseball and their Caribbean academies. MiLB will never go away completely - but I think in the next round you will see it parred down to 3 MiLB teams per franchise; a development academy at their Spring training sites; their international academies. As MiLB players have pushed for more money - the reduction in teams became inevitable. College and JUCO will fill that Low-A gap, and fewer and fewer High School guys will be getting drafted.
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    It's interesting to me how long it has taken MLB to realize that they had a huge cost savings opportunity for player development via College Baseball and their Caribbean academies. MiLB will never go away completely - but I think in the next round you will see it parred down to 3 MiLB teams per franchise; a development academy at their Spring training sites; their international academies. As MiLB players have pushed for more money - the reduction in teams became inevitable. College and JUCO will fill that Low-A gap, and fewer and fewer High School guys will be getting drafted.
    I always wondered that myself. Heck back in my day there were over 60 rounds of draft picks and a gazillion MiLB teams. You had all these guys in MiLB making $500 a month and then realizing after a year or two they weren't ever gonna make it and bailing out to try and start a career. It always seemed like kinda of a waste of resources and so many of those players were HS kids and many never went on to college and wound up scraping by for the rest of their lives. There's only so many Mike Piazza stories out there.