Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coach Bob Tyler dies

vCash

Coach Bob Tyler dies

Had the pleasure of knowing he and his family and he was a remarkable man.

vCash
    This is the guy who saved MSU Football. Then other things happened/

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by parabrave View Post

That's an understatement....
    "I'm sure the universe is full of intelligent life. It's just been too intelligent to come here." -- Arthur C. Clarke

vCash
    I went to school with Breck Tyler. He came to school one day with a Tenn Jersey on said that is where he was going. Bob found out he was telling everyone that next thing we knew he said his dad said he wasn't going anywhere but State. I thought he was going to cry. Funny as Hell!

vCash
    Yep I remember it well. We were living in Starkville when all that went down. Coach Tyler was a good dude. Praying for his family!

vCash
    I'm good friends with the family and I will tell you that they are as good as you will find on this earth. Praying for them as they have often for me and mine.

vCash
    He was a good dude. I remember running into him outside the Union when I was at State and telling him how much I enjoyed watching his championship teams in Meridian. He took time to chat a bit and seemed cool. Not sure what all happened during his later years at State. Some said he delegated too much and didn't have his hands on the controls enough. I have no idea but overall he got MSU headed in the right direction.

vCash
    Well the story goes we got him because Bruiser was chosen by Johnny and Bob got pissed and came here.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AROB44 View Post
    That's an understatement....
    If only Larry hadn't gone shopping that day!!!

https://ia800206.us.archive.org/Book...ale=4&rotate=0
    Last edited by parabrave; 04-28-2024 at 07:02 PM.

vCash
    If only Larry hadn't gone shopping that day!!!
    Yeah Gillard got us bit for something that wouldn't even register as an offense today. What a bunch of horse crap that whole thing was. That was when I first learned to hate the ncaa.

vCash
    As a freshman, walked into the HUMP to see Ray White and Wiley Peck destroy some team, and listen to the “DOGS” possibly greatest football recruitment class ever get announced. A truly great night.......

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HaggardDawg View Post
    Had the pleasure of knowing he and his family and he was a remarkable man.
    Met him one time...at Crechales's Restaurant after we had whipped OM 37-13. He was low key and simply shook my hand and wished me well. I've had less than five fingers worth of admiration for any individual..he was one. He had more interests than football and was an all around great man who lived out the rest of his life in relative obscurity in the hamlet where he was born.

vCash
    Hey CC here is a pic of Larry taking down Warren Moon. I remember that this game was on TV.

https://ia800206.us.archive.org/Book...ale=2&rotate=0

vCash
    Hey CC here is a pic of Larry taking down Warren Moon. I remember that this game was on TV.

https://ia800206.us.archive.org/Book...ale=2&rotate=0
    I remember that game! Wasn't that 78?

vCash
    I used to see Bob Tyler before MSU games all the time around 2001-2005 and I would see him sometimes in Jackson on the way to the game.

My Dad knew him and we would all talk sometimes.

Really nice guy.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    I remember that game! Wasn't that 78?
    I was a junior in HS so it was 77.

vCash
    I was a junior in HS so it was 77.
    I couldn't remember if it was 77 or 78. The years are starting to run together for me lol!

vCash
    What I remember most about the Bob Tyler years was a game played against Alabama in the mid seventies. At memorial stadium, Jxn. He ran pro set offense the first half and came out after half time running the wishbone! We almost upset Bama with that move.

vCash
    Then girlfriend now wife and I were at the game vs Florida State in '78 ...hung 55 on the Seminoles with placekicker turned QB Dave Marler making everyone wondering why we wasted a year of his eligibility as a kicker. Believe son Brett told his dad about the 6th string QB who should be playing. Good season Great game. RIP Coach Tyler.

vCash
    He was ahead of his time in that game. In the first half State played what amounts to the air raid offense before it was called that. State threw the ball all over the field downfield and Bryant just let them do it without even blitzing. In the final analysis it didn't matter. Bryant said after the game that he didn't think throwing the ball on every down would work in the long run...he was right. Guess Leach missed that observation.